Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the bike has a bit of rust, but only in two places the rest of the bike is clean as can be.

I have rust around the tops, trim rings, of the speedo and tach. Not the whole thing but just around the rings that hold the glass in.

Any tips/tricks for rust removal on those particular pieces? They obviously don't appear to be actual chrome and I am not sure what metal they are. I have some pretty heavy duty solvent that will take rust off here at work, but if it's a soft metal then it will likely eat it away too...

Also, are these screwed on? Permanent? Pressed? Before I go yanking I thought it would be good to know how they are on there because I couldn't see any obvious signs.

Thanks,
Les

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
On some of the gauges, the rings are plastic/chrome - but if yours are rusting, sounds like they just need a good scrubbing. For most of the rust on Orleans, I used very fine steel wool - 00 or 000. Did a great job without scoring the metal.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
The trim rings aren't easily removed, seeing as they are crimped onto the housings and not really made to be removed, without the chance of messing them up worse than the rusty look does.
Some here have cleaned them up as good as possible, then painted them, either silver or black.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I think I'll try the steel wool. I happen to have some around the house!

Good thing I didn't try and remove those rings... that could have gotten ugly.

If the rust doesn't clean off I think I will try paint. Black may look cool... we'll see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are two things that work very well to remove rust. One is a product called Naval Jelly. The navy uses this in a much stronger form on submarienes, but it can be purchased at hardware stores is small quantities. The other thing I was shown years ago, is to take the soot out of a fireplace or woodstove. With it in a container, take a damp cloth and dab it in the soot. Use this to wipe (lightly scrub if you will) the rusted surface, then just wipe it up with clean water. It works really good!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts