Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up from Harbor Freight and gave it a try - IT WORKS. I tested it on an old hammer head that was completely rusted and in about 3 hours it's bare shinny metal. Next test is my Honda CT70 gas tank that needs a rust clean out.

I'll follow up with the results...

EVAPO-RUST

DT

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
funny name... reminds me of va-poo-rize lol

·
Premium Member
4,795 Posts
Im gettin me some. Is it like naval jelly?
Don't think so. Most Naval Jelly contains an acid. This stuff has no acid according to the msds.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im gettin me some. Is it like naval jelly?
It's a clear liquid the consistency of 30 weight oil.

I also tried CLR. This worked very good removing rust from the gas cap of the CT70.

DT

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but was wondering what would work that good on corroded aluminum...??? That stuff really got some great reviews as a rust remover...
I see some corrosion on the aluminum engine parts on my car and was wondering what might be good for that...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I used Metal Rescue on the back of my chrome exhaust heat shields. It cleaned the rust from around the clamps before they could weaken and break off. Its consistency is almost as thin as water.

Here Metal Rescue is used to clean a fuel tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb7jyf7A4WE

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but was wondering what would work that good on corroded aluminum...??? That stuff really got some great reviews as a rust remover...
I see some corrosion on the aluminum engine parts on my car and was wondering what might be good for that...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...
Google "aluminum cleaner" OD.
There is a whole schwack (technical term) of links there for cleaners.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I used purple power de-ruster from advanced auto part and it worked perfect as well, the only issue is since I used a hvlp to apply it all the atomized sulpheric acid took me out even though I had a mask on. so use in a well ventalated area. The bottle says it coats the metal as a pre paint conditioner and once it has fully cured you can spray right on top of it.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will vouch for the Evapo-Rust! I'm using it to refurbish my gas tank and will probably soak a ton of rusty bolts and screws with it too, before repainting them. It's working very well so far even on heavily crusted parts!
I agree... I was going to buy a vibrating nut and bolt machine for this purpose but the evaporust works great.

DT

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
I used purple power de-ruster from advanced auto part and it worked perfect as well, the only issue is since I used a hvlp to apply it all the atomized sulpheric acid took me out even though I had a mask on. so use in a well ventalated area. The bottle says it coats the metal as a pre paint conditioner and once it has fully cured you can spray right on top of it.
ROFL, Please be safe...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts