Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is for anyone with this problem (one of the possible solutions)
I had this problem, and went berserk! I could not figure out why it was happening. Untill I shut off my fuel petcock (while running on one cyl) and within a minute she started to purr like a kitten! I thought it must be a petcock problem....but it was not. I took the carbs off on Sunday, and checked the out. The float chamber was a mess! Here is what happened:
The gunk gooped up the float needle and allowed gas to fill the bowl, and then flood out the cyl at low RPMs. The leak was not so bad that it would flood at high RPMs so at least I could get her home. In fact, when riding, at stop signs and slow speeds, I would have to shut off the fuel to keep her running! When she would sputter from lack of fuel, I would turn it on for a couple seconds then off again untill I got up to highway speeds and back on. I do not recommend riding like this since you are too "busy" trying to keep her running.
So I put her back together (thats another story all together) and she is purring again!!!
I love it when a plan comes together!!!
There are many reasons why a bike might run on just one cyl, this was just one of them.
Weasel

·
Registered
19 Posts
weasel750, thanks for your post. I was puzzled by same problem till recently shut off the fuel petcock. And "she started to purr like a kitten!" as you said. :D
So now at least I know what to do if she'll start dying on the road again.
I'm too new in motorcycles to start disassembling carbs. Yesterday I took the fuel tank and uh-oh, it didn't look friendly to me at all to go further. Carbs kinda looked blocked by everything. Wow. :( :baby:
So I came to question - is that possible to remove that gunk or whatever is there by some special carb cleaning additives. I've been using that stuff since last fall when I encountered this problem first time. It seemed to work, but time after time problem appeared again. What do you think guys? Thanks a lot.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Was gonna say that mysrlf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts