Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All! I just bought a 2nd hand '94 Vn750. Love the bike so far. But I have a problem. It starts/idles ok, once I ride it the bike begins to lose power almost if it's out of fuel!. Eventually it gets so starved that it dies. The whole process takes about 10 miles. After I let it sit for an hour, I can ride it off with minimal issue until it decides to die again. It's a long, drawn out loss of power that starts from the beginning of the ride.
I have a petcock rebuild kit on the way, as I suspect a clogged vacuum line or a faulty petcock. I have not checked the vacuum hose for fuel yet. The previous owner had rebuilt and cleaned the carbs himself.
Thank you
- Starved of Riding.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hello All! I just bought a 2nd hand '94 Vn750. Love the bike so far. But I have a problem. It starts/idles ok, once I ride it the bike begins to lose power almost if it's out of fuel!. Eventually it gets so starved that it dies. The whole process takes about 10 miles. After I let it sit for an hour, I can ride it off with minimal issue until it decides to die again. It's a long, drawn out loss of power that starts from the beginning of the ride.
I have a petcock rebuild kit on the way, as I suspect a clogged vacuum line or a faulty petcock. I have not checked the vacuum hose for fuel yet. The previous owner had rebuilt and cleaned the carbs himself.
Thank you
- Starved of Riding.
Your symptoms all add up to POOGS.
Search the threads for POOGS.

:smiley_th

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Yep, pull over and shut off the bike and listen for the squeal of air trying to get into your tank and the whooshing sound if you open the cap. POOGS got me man. Like a little troll.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After diagnostics:

I did not hear a hissing sound, The gas cap is clean, vent is clean.
Also, went to start it up today, it turned over, ran for about 10 seconds, then died. After that it won't start for me at all. It turns over but nothing happens. I waited for 10 min, and tried again, it idled for 5 seconds and died.
Still could be POOGS, but now I can't even start the bike to validate it.
Suggestions?

Edit: Full tank.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....ssssss....p.....p....p....aaaaaaaaaa.....mmmmmmrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Cleaned the puck on the ignition, rebuilt the petcock, purged the gas tank air vent.

Status: As I was starting iit, it was sounding better, than a 'click' and no battery power to anything. Nothing. I tore it apart, cleaned the puck again, put it together and as it was starting a 'click' like a loud zap/click and now nothing. no lights, no dashboard lights, nothing.
Soo, I'm lost and confused. Though I'm sure it's electrical now. Can I move this to 'electrical'?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
....as it was starting a 'click' like a loud zap/click and now nothing. no lights, no dashboard lights, nothing. ...
Sounds like a battery cable loose at one end or the other. Could the zap/click sound have come from the starter solenoid? That's the normal sound when you have a loose connection from the battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts