Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple of questions on my 95 VN750:
Where does the vent line for the carb float bowls go? I had it routed to the intake ear on the Lt side, is that right?

I just got my engine running on this new set of carbs. The idle screws are only one turn out and it seems to be running rich coming off high idle. It's backfiring quite a bit out of the pipes. The engine is coastered and the air valve is not in the system. The carbs are balanced according to the Carbtune. Any ideas of what might be going on?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Got a couple of questions on my 95 VN750:
Where does the vent line for the carb float bowls go? I had it routed to the intake ear on the Lt side, is that right?

I just got my engine running on this new set of carbs. The idle screws are only one turn out and it seems to be running rich coming off high idle. It's backfiring quite a bit out of the pipes. The engine is coastered and the air valve is not in the system. The carbs are balanced according to the Carbtune. Any ideas of what might be going on?
It is normal to run rich when choke is on. Your pilot screws could be set too low Factory is 1 5/8 turns, normaly incerasing the screw will stop the backfirng. If the carbs you got were from a vn700 the have 135 mainjets instead of 132. :beerchug:

Vent tube goes into the right ear.

Exhaust leaks will also cause popping.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, I thought on the idle screw it was in for lean and out for rich. Might be I have it backwards, I'll give it a try tonight. BTW, this is happening with the choke off.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Ahh, I thought on the idle screw it was in for lean and out for rich. Might be I have it backwards, I'll give it a try tonight. BTW, this is happening with the choke off.
Out does make it richer, there are three things that will cause popping:

1) too much fuel
2) not enough fuel
3) exhause leak

Since you have turned the pilot screw down to one turn and it happens when the choke is off that basicaly means you are not getting enough fuel. The choke actualy adds extra fuel and does not block off air flow.

The colortune can tell you one thing and your bike will tell you another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts