Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ladies and gents,
I will be running with the bulls in Pamplona, Spain next July. I was wondering if anyone had pointers or secret contacts in relation to my trip to help out with the experience. I will be landing in Madrid (don't have the ticket yet) and renting a car and rolling up to Pamplona. I will be there for about a week exploring San Sebastian and maybe the pyrenees mountains after i run with the bulls. Also, any of you rednecks that have bull experience feel free to chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Are you Spanish or a Spanish descendant or something? Just wondering, since I also noticed it says "Rocinante" under your name. Or maybe you just like "Don Quijote".

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Being a hillbilly from east Tennessee growing up working on a cattle farm, "Stay away from the bull" was always the advice given. Since you are jumping into a closed off path with a lot of bulls you have already thrown out that advice. So the next best advice I was given was "RUN!!!"

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hahaha that's exactly what I think whenever I see or hear about the bull run... I really have no idea why a sane person would get in the way of a bunch of bulls, but I guess I may do stuff that other people can't understand either lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mom is from Spain but thats not really the reason. I just wanted to do it along time ago and didn't get another chance. Kind of a bucket list thing. My dad is a redneck from Kansas..he met her when he was in the military overseas.
I saw the don quixote name for his horse and thought it would be cool. I am currently starting a training program of bowflex and running. I was wondering if i should mix in some real bull experience or something smaller and harmless like a chicken.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
LOL, chickens won't spear you Mark. I think you're nuts but good luck to you just the same.

My only advice would be to stay at the front of the crowd and run like hell. The people in the back are usually the one's I see get speared, trampled, tossed and usually end up in the hospital or dead. So if you find yourself sliding to the back, find a way outta there and fast.

The craziest thing I ever want to do is jump out of a perfectly good airplane lol. So I comend your bravery and courage brother. I sure as hell would never do it.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
LOL, chickens won't spear you Mark. I think you're nuts but good luck to you just the same.

My only advice would be to stay at the front of the crowd and run like hell. The people in the back are usually the one's I see get speared, trampled, tossed and usually end up in the hospital or dead. So if you find yourself sliding to the back, find a way outta there and fast.

The craziest thing I ever want to do is jump out of a perfectly good airplane lol. So I comend your bravery and courage brother. I sure as hell would never do it.
You know this intrigues me.Having grown up in the country and on occasion having to run from a great big sack of beef covered in cowhide on more than one occasion ,just to end with having to cross or go through a barbed wire or electric fence with survival on my mind it really holds no appeal to me.

I used to want to jump out of an airplane when I was younger,but I have since gotten over that urge also.Maybe I am getting older and realize how a lot of the knocks and bangs are now coming back to haunt me as aches and pains,I am not nearly as fearless as I once thought I was.

If you think you must, go for it.But a friendly piece of advice is,generally when I have thought any thing that began with"I wonder what would happen if I.....?" The outcome wasn't favorable to me. Just sayin';)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Well this Redneck thinks there is a lot of good advise above, and yes the running should help your training, and set your goal high, like a mile in 1.5 min., if that don't work check into a mental center for about 90 days, preferably June thru Aug. 2011...
BTW-My dad was a cattle trader when I was a kid, so I know a little bit about cattle, bulls included... If nothing else works, pray, pray, pray that you will break a leg just before the event and have to withdraw...
And your from a white settlement in Texas...??? I find that hard to believe...lol...:beerchug:...:beerchug:...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Ballzy dude. That's probably something I'd convince myself I would do but then, when I got there, I'd talk myself out of it. I'm one of the biggest adrenalin junkies out there but everything I do to get my fix has safety precautions. This seems like total abandon to me which, let's be honest, would certainly get you your fix!

I know thousands of people do it and maybe a couple dozen get hurt but the problem I have is: if you're faster and stonger than everyone else, it's not necessarily an advantage. I'm not trying to dissuade you by any means but it feels more like Russian roulette then say, sky diving.

Oh, and please post pics when you get back. :D

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try to take lots of pics. Gotta worry about being robbed and stuff. Also, cant have cameras during the run. I appreciate the input. I will be running with another guy I grew up with ...he got the ok from his wife to run with me. I still have to get that white uniform they wear....

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
hahaha that's exactly what I think whenever I see or hear about the bull run... I really have no idea why a sane person would get in the way of a bunch of bulls, but I guess I may do stuff that other people can't understand either lol
Alcohol helps.

And Kimmerling, the best advice I can give is rent an apartment along the route they run. Then watch from the window above.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Nothing good ever came from "Hey y'all watch this". I think this falls on the same line.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Now Spain's tomato throwing festival, "Tomatina" - I would do that a heart beat. It looks fun and if you get beaned in the mouth all you get is a snack. Oh yeah, and there's no wild beasts trying their hardest to impale you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I will be running with another guy I grew up with ...he got the ok from his wife to run with me.
My first thought is to make sure you can run faster then your buddy...

At my uncles farm, we always knew which pasture had the bull in it. The one time I didn't, I learned to leap OVER a 4 foot electric fence with one jump. Actually, it was more of a dive and roll at full speed, but you get the picture.

Jay

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Hmmm, I thought about asking if I could take accident insurance out on you and your buddy, but I'll bet that would come under the suicide clause...
What do you think...lol...
I'll guarantee I've had as much experience with bulls as you have, but I didn't get to be the Old Dog by doing that kinda stuff, and I was fast in my younger days, but I didn't do that...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
Can you wear your kevlar gear under the white PJ's??

Bulls need to move their head side to side in order to get a fix on you, so running a zig zag pattern might throw them off...but wastes time/distance...try to keep some one near you at all times to yank behind you if needed.

Just as when you are riding....watch ahead and look for escape routes...that open window on the right might save your ass...(literally)

KM

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Can you wear your kevlar gear under the white PJ's??

Bulls need to move their head side to side in order to get a fix on you, so running a zig zag pattern might throw them off...but wastes time/distance...try to keep some one near you at all times to yank behind you if needed.

Just as when you are riding....watch ahead and look for escape routes...that open window on the right might save your ass...(literally)

KM

Not a bad idea. Go a couple of sizes larger on the PJs body armor could be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
hmm I think it IS a good idea. I would go as far as a bullet proof vest lol

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought about the kevlar motoport stuff but i don't think its designed for spearing ...mostly abrasion resistance. I am studying the route and reading all the stuff at sanfermin.com
it has tons of info on where to run and what to do. I also was wondering if its expensive maybe to rent a bike and ride the coast of san sebastian and the pyranees or will i get robbed by the vasque that are indigenous to the area?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts