Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any opinions regarding running the fuel dry, Since we have a fuel shut-off for extended periods of non use?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I wouldn't. There'd likely still be some fuel residue in there that will have a tendency to gum up.
Give the fuel a dose of Seafoam and then fill the tank. Run the bike for awhile to get it well circulated, then shut it down.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I add Seafoam to a full tank run it a bit to get it mixed well, shut her down, then open the carb drains for about an hour, then close the drains. Plug in the Battery Tender, Wait till spring.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i agree with the above. I have my bike parked for a year now... I put in seafoam then filled the tank clear full of fuel, road about 10 miles over the bumpiest roads i could find, pulled back into the gas station to top off the tank then rode the half block to my house to park. I then disconnected the ground wire and hooked up my battery tender. My wife told e the other day that the Battery is still dead..but i figured it would be and was already planning on getting a MF batt when I get home.

also since i am storing it for such a long time i put it up on the center stand and blocked up the front axles to get my tires off the ground.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
If you put seafoam in the tank and run it a few miles, I think it would still be a good idea to shut off the petcock and run the bike til it stops to remove the gas from the carb bowls. The little bit of gas that might still remain would still have seafoam in it to prevent it from gumming up, and there would be a lot less to gum up if it did. Probably is a good idea to store the bike with a full tank of seafoamed gas to reduce the chance of rust building up in the tank.

Also, if you know you're gonna be storing the bike for several months or more and you're gonna put your battery on a tender, it might be a good idea to remove the battery from the bike altogether if you have a wet cell, to eliminate the possibility of acid spillage. A maintenance fee bat shouldn't spill, but a wet cell certainly can, and the vent tubes could disconnect or dry up and crack, etc.. I've seen this happen and it ain't pretty!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts