Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys ever get rudeness when you're out and about?

I was filling the tank the other day and a guy goes, "nice bike," I thanked him and he asked me how fast it goes. I said it would do a buck fifty. He asked if I ever had it up that high and I said no. He asked what I have had it up to and I said, "bout a buck ten." So he says, "Well I guess it doesn't matter either way, a buck 50 or a buck 10. You're dead either way." I just stared at the guy as he got back in his minivan thinking 'WTF dude?'

Then I'm in the work parking lot last week and these 2 dudes get out of their car. The one guy says, "Yeah we were just talking about that, how you don't need a helmet in PA." I told him he was right, that it's not mandatory. The other guy says, "Ah you like to take risks." So I said, "Well it's a calculated risk." So the other dude says, "Pshsh yeah right" all cocky. Again I was like 'WTF dude!?'

You guys ever rudeness when you're out?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Not in Oregon. Thankfully. In Oregon, cagers graciously yield right of way to everything with two legs or two wheels (motorized or not). They actually participate in 'polite offs' at four way stops, where all cagers wave the two wheeler through. It took this Bostonian quite a while to get use to it. On the East Coast right of way always goes to the heaviest vehicle driven by the person with the highest level of road rage and anything with two legs or two wheels are viewed as targets. It is one reason I waited 45 years to get my endorsement.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Mostly just laughs and one finger waves from big bike riders when I'm on the Rebel and wave to them.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Tailgaters mostly.... The other day a passing car threw something out the widow at us, hit my wife in the arm.....left a nice welt too.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Tailgaters mostly.... The other day a passing car threw something out the widow at us, hit my wife in the arm.....left a nice welt too.
Time to put a throttle lock on, then raise both hands off the grips and high into the air while waving them. Maybe that will get the attention of the a$$hat behind you.

I have been thinking about the loudspeakers you can get for cars with several different sounds to use as a horn. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a machine gun sound option for one of these set-ups?

I`m thinking the sound of a .50 cal Browning might get attention even when a Stebel air horn fails! LOL:pepper::pepper::pepper:

End of hi-jack. Back to the regularly schedule program.:doh:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I mainly just get comments on how I don't look old enough to have a drivers license, let alone on a "big bike" like mine(It's fits me perfectly in my opinion). I'm 22 but I guess I look like I'm 12...Oh well. Oh and I always get comments about me being a woman on a cruiser...Get that a lot at gas stations.

They're just jealous though. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hey Mike....Not sayin' it's right, but we live in the Delaware Valley....goes with the territory.
I write it off as jealousy/envy. The HD drivers spent 4X what I spent and I keep up with them very nicely thank you.:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
What Oregon are you in?

Not in Oregon. Thankfully. In Oregon, cagers graciously yield right of way to everything with two legs or two wheels (motorized or not). They actually participate in 'polite offs' at four way stops, where all cagers wave the two wheeler through. It took this Bostonian quite a while to get use to it. On the East Coast right of way always goes to the heaviest vehicle driven by the person with the highest level of road rage and anything with two legs or two wheels are viewed as targets. It is one reason I waited 45 years to get my endorsement.
I hope you're being sarcastic because OR drivers that cross the border into WA are the biggest bunch of A holes on the road. Speeding, tailgating, disrespecting most traffic laws on the WA side. A speeding OR driver killed my sister in law.

I ride/drive 350 miles each week to work and if there's a butt head on the interstate, 9 out of 10 times, it's OR plates especially if there's a game at UDUB or other sport arena.

DT

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I just never hear of such things happening in the South. It's sort of like PETA activists going through the woods beating on drums during hunting season. They found up North the hunters would just leave the woods. Here the hunters shoot towards the activists and they leave the woods. If some jerk threw something at a biker, he might not live to do it twice. There's just certain things you learn not to do. And jerking a good ole boys chain for the fun of it is one of them! :BLAM:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just never hear of such things happening in the South. It's sort of like PETA activists going through the woods beating on drums during hunting season. They found up North the hunters would just leave the woods. Here the hunters shoot towards the activists and they leave the woods. If some jerk threw something at a biker, he might not live to do it twice. There's just certain things you learn not to do. And jerking a good ole boys chain for the fun of it is one of them! :BLAM:
I'LL second that, rudeness has it's consequences down south.Every action has a proportionally worse reaction ,Southern Law of Physics #1

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Having lived in Washington State and now the Republic of Texas...I have to concur with Southern Law. Although, it does seem to go both ways....but eventually the offender will be checked. It just matters how long they want to push their luck.
When i lived in Washington..people did seem more polite in the grocery stores etc.Staying on the right side of the aisle...etc. When in Seattle or any other frantic or rush hour traffic...it can get dicey. I think its a sign of the desperation people live under in their lives...not happy, stressed, and too much to do. I think their problem is that they don't ride. Also, they envy the happiness and freedom we riders "flaunt" as we cruise by in bliss. They know deep down that THEY aren't wearing/not wearing the helmet, THEY don't take calculated risks, and that THEY don't have the courage to live life. It reminds me of the saying, "Do not fear dying, fear the life not lived." Also, one of my favorites from the movie Open Range .."There are things that eat at a man worse than death."

·
Registered
738 Posts
I hope you're being sarcastic because OR drivers that cross the border into WA are the biggest bunch of A holes on the road. Speeding, tailgating, disrespecting most traffic laws on the WA side. A speeding OR driver killed my sister in law.

I ride/drive 350 miles each week to work and if there's a butt head on the interstate, 9 out of 10 times, it's OR plates especially if there's a game at UDUB or other sport arena.

DT
That's funny because I have found that the Washington state drivers are far more aggressive on the roads (towards motorcycles anyway) than Oregon drivers! But sorry to hear about your sister. Doesn't matter what state the driver was from, I hope they got the max sentence.

As for biggest A holes on the road. Neither Washington, nor Oregon drivers even make the ranking in that respect. Based on my observations neither would survive a drive in downtown Boston or any of its surrounding highways which I have spent over 30 years driving. Driving in the Pacific Northwest is benign in comparison.

Next time I head up to Mt St Helens/Spirit Lake I give you a shout.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Neither Washington, nor Oregon drivers even make the ranking in that respect. Based on my observations neither would survive a drive in downtown Boston or any of its surrounding highways which I have spent over 30 years driving. Driving in the Pacific Northwest is benign in comparison.

I Agree...

DT

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'LL second that, rudeness has it's consequences down south.Every action has a proportionally worse reaction ,Southern Law of Physics #1
Now that you've put it in words I can understand, it makes perfect sense! BTW, I never knew you were a physicist! :D

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I was almost ran off the road b the same car twice this morning tailgating and changing lanes erratically. but bikes are nimble and quick and a pocket full of ball bearings over the shoulder does a number for a tailgater.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Now that you've put it in words I can understand, it makes perfect sense! BTW, I never knew you were a physicist! :D
It ain't Rocket surgery ,you know ;) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.If others don't believe in it, Then show them the error of their ways.I won't be wronged,I wont be laid a hand on and I won't be talked down to.These things I don't do and I require the same of others. Not a direct quote, but pretty close to what John Wayne said in The Shootist.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Yes, people who do not ride, and worse still, cannot relate to those who do, are generally not the nicest people.

On the way home from work the other day, I was at a red light, and this being CA, I split my way to the front of the line. There was already one bike in the right hand lane and I took the front spot in the left. I turned to the guy and said "nice bike." Before he had a chance to reply, the light turns green (my head was still turned). He nods to the light and goes, I face front, drop my baby in gear, but before I can move, the guy behind me bumps my back tire.

Oh no he didn't! is my very first thought. Followed by me not thinking, and next thing you know, kickstand is down, and I'm off the bike heading for the driver's door. Window goes up.... With my helmet still on but visor up I yell at him to roll it back down or I'll drag him out, etc. etc. He rolls it down and I explain to him that he could get killed doing s**t like that. I walk around to the front, pull my pen and paper from my pocket and write his plate down. Back to the window I explain that within 10 minutes of getting home I'll know everything about him, and that he should think about that every time he has the urge to try and run a biker over.

Meanwhile, cars are honking and pulling around us, but I'm in a rage, and it's all I can do to be outwardly calm and not kick the living snot out of this guy.

Back to my bike, I sadlle up, get her ready, and in a last (pretty childish, I admit) act, wait until JUST before the light changes and gun it through the intersection, leaving him stuck again.

I think rude is too nice a term to describe it. Stupid, asinine, dangerous, deadly. All are probably more apt.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
people like me are the reason I do not drop the kickstand like I used to. One time I rode side by side with a lexus through the Fort McHenry tollbooths. Just because i wouldnt give up the lane. Another time the wife and I were on the 1500 in a gravel parking lot with quite an incline when the truck in front of us stopped and put it in reverse he hit my front tire and amazingly enough didn't hear the horn or the engine. when he finally saw us he stopped and pulled off to the side and got out I had her get off the bike looked it over and proceeded to smash his windshield with my helmet .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts