Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1992 VN 750
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I received a new RR...the KA 21066-1100, a couple of days ago and installed it in my bike after she stranded me. I checked the stator outputs and she puts out 70 VAC at 4000 RPM on all three alternator leads. Still no charging going on even with the new RR. I took the new RR out and checked it with a MM and it is giving me readings that indicate the new part is defective. the only difference between the old RR and the new one is the reading between A1-3 and M which is INF on the new one and 630 on the old one. See below for the steps to check the RR on our bikes:

Disconnect the main Battery Negative (-) cable from the battery
Disconnect the R/R Harness Connector from the R/R
The top three spade terminals of the R/R are A1, A2, and A3
The bottom three spade terminals are Battery (B), Monitor (M), and Ground (G). The Battery Terminal is the R/R output Voltage Terminal, Ground is the R/R ground, and the Monitor terminal is the motorcycle's load.

With the Multi-Meter set to Ohms again, check the following for resistance:
First colum is Negative (black) test lead, Second colum is Positive (red) test

A1-A3 ____kOhms should read infinite READS: _INF__
B-M ____kOhms (should read infinite READS: _INF__
B-G ____kOhms (should read infinite) READS: _1401_
B-A1-3____kOhms (should read infinite) READS: __APP 630 FOR ALL 3__
M-B ____kOhms (should be between 10 and infinite) READS: _INF_
M-G____kOhms (should read between 10 and infinite) READS: _1530__
M-A1-3 ____kOhms (should Read between 10 and infinite) READS: _INF_
G-B____kOhms (should read between 0.4 and and 2.0 k Ohms) READS: _INF_
G-M ____kOhms (should read between 1-5 kOhms) READS: _INF__
G-A1-3____kOhms (should read between 0.2 and 0.6 kOhms) READS: _INF_
A1-3-B ____kOhms (should read between 02 and 0.6 kOhms) READS: _INF_
A1-3- G ___kOhms (should read infinite) READS: _630_
A1-3- M ___kOhms (should read infinite) READS: _INF_

If any of these numbers are out of specifications the remedy is to then replace the R/R. I cleaned all ground connections and the red/white bullet connector under the right hand cover as well. Is the new RR defective or is there something else I am missing?

·
1992 VN 750
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well...upon further troubleshooting I am going to call the Stator DOA. Retested all and even though I get 70 VAC I can see that it also is grounded out to the case. So...crap. The bike is gonna be down for awhile until I get the space and time to wrench on her. And right after I ordered a new Saddleman seat too...typical!!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well...upon further troubleshooting I am going to call the Stator DOA. Retested all and even though I get 70 VAC I can see that it also is grounded out to the case. So...crap. The bike is gonna be down for awhile until I get the space and time to wrench on her. And right after I ordered a new Saddleman seat too...typical!!!
Have you seen the *No Engine Pull $20 stator case mod*?
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

Hope this helps get the bike back on the road quicker. :smiley_th

·
Registered
278 Posts
That really sucks, my friend. I know how ya feel. My stator crapped out about 3 weeks ago. Wish you well in gettin' her back on the road.

John

·
Registered
458 Posts
Have you given thought of where your going to get a replacement stator? Alot of guys on here swear by Tim Parrot. When my stator went I had mine done by Tim as well. There is also another popular place for stators, Ricks. However I have not heard very good things about the stators he puts out. So i would stay away from him. I think Kawasaki should include a replacement stator as standard equipment with this bike. Good luck with getting it back on the road. For me personally this side cover mod is a neat idea, but if you mess that up I can only imagine how much it would cost for a new side cover.

·
1992 VN 750
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am gonna go the Tim Parrot route. After two days I am getting more motivated to actually do it too. I have a trip to UAE for a couple of weeks and will knock it out when I get back. Plus...my new Saddleman seat should be here by then so I have motivation to get 'er done! :) For a bike that is so much fun to ride this is the weak part of the equation...I redid the carbs when I got the bike 3 years ago but was hoping to avoid the Stator disaster. Oh well...it puts off the BMW or Harley purchase for a few more years then!

Thanks for the info on the stator replacement!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts