Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know when most of you shift gears at what RPM.
Just got a 1994 750. Tis a wee bit different that the 454.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I don't really pay attention to RPM's. I go by ear and feel. If I had to guess I'd say I change around 3000-3500 normally and 4000-4500 (maybe a little higher) if I'm romping on it.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
For a twin, these bikes run pretty high revs. Plus, the kawasaki's like to be revved. You don't need to redline it, but you can ride the rpms up in the 3-4k range before shifting, no problem.
Yep, and there is no limiter... My previous 03 slipped on me in some wet grass and I tried to hold it up by the throttle grip and it went very deep into the red line, so I know there is no rev. limiter...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum sweez. Where are you from? Your opening post sounds as though this is your second bike. How long have you been riding?

I probably shift sooner than many, considering that the redline is 8500 rpm. I very seldom exceed 6,000 revs on the bike at any time, and estimate that I usually shift between 3-4,000 rpm. I don`t pay that much attention to the tach, but shift mostly by the sound of the engine. I don`t like the screaming high reving so much.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Most of us generally ,shift at the middle of the rpm range,But this is the freest revving V-twin I have ridden,it will smoke most V-twin cruisers with alot more displacement than it has.And it is fun to see most 110 and 1200 and bigger V-twins open theirs up to show off and you go by them like they are tied to a tree,I guess it makes me feel better after the boys on the sport bikes have smoked me,any way get used to it and keep the shiny side up,Denny

·
Registered
950 Posts
I usually go up to 6000 at least but that might explain why my gas mileage sucks. its been a year but I'm still used to my 250 and reving it to 10k-11k for shifts.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Like others, I pretty well shift by sound. I also do not care for the sound of a screaming engine. I do find that I enjoy the sound that my bike makes in 5th at about 5k rpm. Develops a somewhat throaty growl...

--FA

·
Registered
668 Posts
revvit uup!! ;)
every now and then i like to revv mine pretty high, sometimes passed the redline!! the Vulcan's engine is almost a crossover beetween a cruiser and a sports bike! Like dennis said it will smoke most of the v twins out there.
I like to push mine just to remove all the "gunk in her" ;)

Ride safe

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
revvit uup!! ;)
every now and then i like to revv mine pretty high, sometimes passed the redline!! the Vulcan's engine is almost a crossover beetween a cruiser and a sports bike! Like dennis said it will smoke most of the v twins out there.
I like to push mine just to remove all the "gunk in her" ;)

Ride safe
Our engine was actualy designed to go into the Ninja but before the bike was put in production they opted to go with the Inline four. Since they already had produced the engine they decided to build the Vulcan around it. :beerchug:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Our engine was actualy designed to go into the Ninja but before the bike was put in production they opted to go with the Inline four. Since they already had produced the engine they decided to build the Vulcan around it. :beerchug:

that makes sense now that you said that....no wonder she is a mean lil 750...:rockon: i still want a 6th gear though:doh:

Cheers

·
Registered
950 Posts
The first time I rode this bike. that is exactly what I thought. it was a cross between a sport bike and a cruiser. I don't think of it as screaming in pain, as much as squeals of delite

·
2,527 Posts
Depends on how you want to ride, if you want to take it easy you could shift at 3k - 5k. or you could let it rip past the red line......8k then 9k.........how far will you go............

·
t-rider
33 Posts
I just did an ear shave, I took it out for a test and popped second at around 7 and the front seemed to lift off the ground..my mind was moving at high rpm, too..when I got back home I got off and said to myself.. dang..that things fast....

·
Registered
668 Posts
ok i got to admit...it goes way passed your expectations.....at a bike rally i revved it pretty high, way passed the 11K, the needle was almost lined up with the red line mark of the temp gauge.....i know...i felt really bad after that though. it seems like she will revv higher and quicker once she passes the 9K....

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Don't think I've ever really payed attention to the RPM's when I shift.
I too go by how it sounds and how hard I'm twistin' the throttle.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I have said it before and I will say it again the VN750 is a platform youcan build what you want on ,It is a nice cruiser out of the box ,throw the excess weight off of it do a little suspension work and,reshape the seat a little to give you some move around room and you can throw it around on the twisties at a respectable pace,it makes a good looking bobber a sharp chopper,whatever direction you want to go ,your imagination is the limit,I have even seen a few with a full frame mount fairing hard bags and a trunk.I had seen VN750's around for years and thought of them as a compromise bike ,Until I went to work at the Kawi dealer and worked on and rode about everything that came in,especially after i had to uncrate and assemble them and do the presale test rides,I saw ablack and silver '04 sit on the floor while every body walked around it to get to the 800 classic,Nomads and Drifters and I will tell that in my opinion after someone bought the 750 and I prepped it and rode it down for it's fillup and make sure nothing was over looked I found out that the 750's only competition on the wow that is fun in the cruiser lineup back then was the Mean Streak,The others were definitely a step down in performance.They all had their good points but the 750 outshined them in handling performance and just ease of use,the styling was a little dated by the time Kaw quit producing them,but it enjoyed ,and correct me if I am wrong,The longest production run with no major changes in Kawasaki's history .If you could get a customer to test ride a 750, 90 percent of the time it sold itself,Lets compare ,this is a V-twin cruiser with 4 cams,eight valves and two34MM CV carbs and 4 spark plugs with a compression ratio in the 10:1 range and it started production in 1985. A lot of the new models from different manufacturers can't claim this kind of technology in their new models.Oh yeah I forgot the twin balancers and the 8500 redline,I wonder what would it have been if they had bumped the displacement to 900 or 1000 cc's,that would have been interesting,Denny

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I just did an ear shave, I took it out for a test and popped second at around 7 and the front seemed to lift off the ground..my mind was moving at high rpm, too..when I got back home I got off and said to myself.. dang..that things fast....
It probably did ,after an earshave ,and degoating and rejetting,my riding buddy on his CBR1000RR pulled out behind me and I cranked mine almost to redlineand grabbed second and then Ted went by me and got real small real quick(his bike is scary fast)and pulled over up the road and I pulled in by him while he was lighting one of those little cigars he is so fond of ,he said that old bike flipped him out when it packed the front wheel about 5 feet when I shifted .He deserves a lot of credit for helping me get my bike to this point every day after work we would work on it till bedtime and we thrashed it out in about 5 or 6 weeks in the evening and Saturdays,Here's to good riding buddies and friends,and the little bike that can,Denny

·
Registered
950 Posts
correct me if I am wrong,The longest production run with no major changes in Kawasaki's history.
and it started production in 1985.
I think the ninja 250 is close they started in 1986 and didn't change a thing til the 2008 model. other then minor fairing changes.
and a 50cc displacement change is kinda a big change.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
you may be right Jace but the little Ninja,Which I also liked is nothing to sneeze at for it's size either,another fun ride.I was talking overall design when I included the Vn 700 and I guess the Honda rebel is also kinda long in the tooth also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts