Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today on my ride, I came upon a rough grooved roadway under construction. I had feared these quite bit, and I wasn't expecting it just yet. However, it really wasn't an issue!

The bike did wonder quite a bit, but it self corrected so much that I felt like I could have taken my hands off and it still would have gone straight.

Last year on the old Dunlop tires, it seemed to wonder at the smallest of lines, so I expected the worst. However, I have Shinko 777 front & rear (110/90, 150/90) and they don't wonder at ALL on small lines, and only a bit on grooved surfaces. I don't know if it is the tire age, brand or size, but I feel much more confident this year. I am still a bit hesitant in corners after my spill last year.

The only things I have left to conquer is heavy rain/standing water (I plan to avoid that) and uneven lanes. Uneven lanes scare me as they are yet unknown!

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
They're a bit wider than the stock tires.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
tread pattern plays a lot on how tires handle the grooved pavement
Yep, I put dual sport tires on my Sportster and grooves are not felt....AT ALL. The dual sport tires just think they are off road. They do not care. I was passing other bikes at 80Mph on seriously grooved stuff. Actualy, dual sport tires might look bad azz on a vulcan.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The Avon AM6 Speedmaster that I have on the front of my Honda Rebel and Royal Enfield Bullet are the worst ever for rain grooves. They look great to me (1960s British type tire) and we don't have rain grooves in the roads in my state. I recently put Dunlop 401s on my 1200 Sportster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts