Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to test the rotor without replacing it with new one? I have pull the engine, open the generator cover and rotor is still magnetic (it holds the bolts). Is that OK?

Sorry for the rookie question.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hey, so what exactly is the problem you are having? Some details would be helpful so that someone an better answer any questions you have.

As far as what you already did ask, I would think that as long as it is spinning freely and not bumping into the stator or pickup coils you are good.

As far as I am aware, there really are no tests for the flywheel, its pretty much just a magnet used to induce an electrical current in the stator.

The item you would probably really want to test is the stator, and maybe you regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Not sure how to really test it. Stronger than a refrigerator magnet for sure, maybe not as stout as a hard-drive magnet.

Scientifically, I guess you'd need the specs and a weight-pull scale. We just don't have access to the specs.

Since it's still magnetic, if you suspect a problem, go through all the tests for the stator but pay attention to AC output voltage. Sounds like you may be doing the stator already.

Never hammer on a magnet (or rotor), it can kill the magnets.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
I had a distributor shaft lose it's magnetism and it was below 'fridge magnet pull.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Magnets can be demagnetized if overheated to near their melting point (unlikely in an oil filled engine) or are subjected to lots of strong shocks repeatly. Either of these can allow the ions to realign causing the magnet to loose strength.

Still, considering that bikes have always used magnets in their alternators (I think) with long term good results. While possible I kinda doubt that's your problem.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
You might try rubbing a balloon in your hair and seeing it will stick to a wall. I've done this before and it has fixed most of my issues...Some new ones have cropped up since however.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Also, if you're having low output from the stator, you can check to see how "centered" the stator coils are inside the rotor. The stock mount does not center the coils... When I did the tuxedo mod, and made the mount for the stator, I set it up where the coils were deeper inside the rotor, thus centering the coils more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts