Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not suggesting that anyone do this, but has anyone here ever gotten a rope tow on their bike?:wow:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Got a tow when I was on my pedal cycle from my brother-in-law wow scary he was on a Lambretta 150 scooter and I was on a small wheeled like shopping bike with my fishing gear, he towed me home about 6miles and said if you see a copper pedal, lol I had no rubber left in my brake blocks but was the quickest ride home I had ever had. :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
A guy I grew up with in the 1960s rode with a 3 patch club for a few years in his teens and early 20s. He got out, still on good terms with them, when he got married. He told me of an incident in the early 1970s on the #1 Highway in Calgary where he hit a big German Shepard dog that was loose in an intersection, while riding his `53 Panhead Harley, and slid for quite a ways. I don`t recall exactly what damage was done to the bike, but apparently it wouldn`t run after the accident.

Another club member was with him, and towed him and the bike with a rope back to the clubhouse 15 or 20 miles across the city.

He said if you ever HAVE TO tow a bike to make sure you DO NOT TIE THE ROPE TO THE TOWED BIKE WITH A KNOT. WRAP THE ROPE ONCE OR TWICE AROUND THE HEAD OR STEERING TUBES, AND HOLD THE LOOSE END WITH YOUR HAND ON THE GRIP. This way if you have problems, you can just release the rope to free yourself, and not get dragged if you go down again.

DISCLAIMER: Note that I do not suggest that this is a wise or safe thing to do, and it is illegal in Alberta now to tow any vehicle with a rope, chain, strap or cable etc. on a public road.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
^ X2 ^
Overall not a good idea. That being said, I would only wrap it once. Wrap twice, and the line may slip in to a clinch.
The pull needs to know to relax the line around corners.

~~C8>

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Sounds like something everyone is stating is very unsafe and not to do from younger first hand experience. I don't think I would try it now while in my later fifties. lol

·
Daily Rider
132 Posts
I had a Bultaco flat tracker years ago that didn't want to start. We used a rope to pull it, just looped it around the frame right behind the steering head. You need to have a good driver towing you, and a spotter with them. I wouldn't do that any more though, at least not on a big bike.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I'd rather push it!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
and it is illegal in Alberta now to tow any vehicle with a rope, chain, strap or cable etc. on a public road
Dang ! And I thought the US was bad in its DOT rules ! :wow:

Ive towed and have been towed, everything from dirtbikes to Harleys....but only in a straight line and only to try a jump start.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
My mother only raised one FOOL, and that was my brother!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My mother only raised one FOOL, and that was my brother!!!!
I have done this and would not do it again unless there was a dire emergency. That being said when I used to ride dirt bikes it wasn't unusual to get ten miles or better from the truck and some one have a problem and no way to get back without a tow.I will state without any embarrassment that several falls were usually in store for you before you get where you are going.

As for a street bike I would not do this ,if you are on a road some one can pick you up with a truck or trailer where you are,That is really the only safe alternative other than calling a tow truck with a rollback bed to come and get you.In the days of cellphones and smartphones,it is not worth the risk to life and limb.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
2 problems with it. One, it's dangerous as hell. And 2, even if you don't crash, it's bad for the bike if you don't disconnect the rear wheel from the transmission. On an older chain drive bike with a master link, it was easy to remove the chain. With newer 0-ring chains or a shaft, it's not so easy. With the rear wheel turning, even in neutral, you are turning part of the transmission, without oil pressure. I have towed a number of RWD cars/trucks with a tow bar, and always removed the driveshaft. As far as I know, the only way to tow a front wheel drive car is with the front wheels off the road.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts