Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ron (Lance328) made Hyway brackets for me last summer, but they were a tad short. (I'm 6'3"), so I ask him to make a longer set. His brother Tom was kind enough to send them to me....a little work to polish them and here they are....Before & After

RIP Ron

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Yup, Can't look at My Bike without thinking of Him.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
those are pretty nice?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ron (Lance328) made Hyway brackets for me last summer, but they were a tad short. (I'm 6'3"), so I ask him to make a longer set. His brother Tom was kind enough to send them to me....a little work to polish them and here they are....

RIP Ron
Very nice!

Doc, how much longer is the new bracket? It appears to be about 1-1.5".

Or more to the point, could you tell me what the measurements are center to center from the top frame mounting hole to the peg mounting hole on each of the brackets.

I have a photocopy of a posted picture of one of lance`s brackets that I`m going to turn into a pattern. Those extra measurements could be helpful when I actually try to fabricate the bracket.. Thanks.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very nice!

Doc, how much longer is the new bracket? It appears to be about 1-1.5".

Or more to the point, could you tell me what the measurements are center to center from the top frame mounting hole to the peg mounting hole on each of the brackets.

Thanks.
Gordon,
My bad on previous post...

Approx 2" difference
Short = 4 7/16"
Long = 6.5"

Because the holes in the frame are not plumb (in relationship with each other). the bottom hole/frame side of both brackets needs to be recessed approx 1/8 to 3/16...see attached. Additionally: on right bracket, both holes/peg side need to be recessed to allow bolt head clearance with exhaust

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks Doc. I`ll make a note of this.
I recall lance or chad mentioning the recesses previously, but the picture and explanation make it clearer for me.

How thick is the bracket material? 3/8"?
How deep is the recess for the bolt heads on the right side?

Sorry for the game of 20 questions.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Doc. I`ll make a note of this.
I recall lance or chad mentioning the recesses previously, but the picture and explanation make it clearer for me.

How thick is the bracket material? 3/8"?
How deep is the recess for the bolt heads on the right side?

Sorry for the game of 20 questions.
Here ya go Gordon...this is the short set. All recesses are approx. 1/8 to 3/16

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks Doc. That should answer all my questions.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
want to sell you short ones ??

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Glad his brother was able to get them sent to you. Yeah, those are the ones I saw there when I went to pickup my bike.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Trying to figure out what size replacement bolts I will need to mount these....

Ron Ayers lists the OEM bolts as "Bolt, Flanged, 8X60"

Any ideas? I guess the best way to figure out the pitch is too remove one of the OEM bolts and take it to hardware store to match up.

As far as length, add about 10mm for the 3/8in bracket? Minus the recessed holes ~5mm?.... confused...

Is there room to go longer? Sorry for being lazy, but rain is in between me and the bike right now.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Here ya go Gordon...this is the short set. All recesses are approx. 1/8 to 3/16
The difference is 3/16.....( top bolt is 3/16 farther "in" than the bottom one.)

Sorry, but had to include this as I used a laser level to square up the bike and then used the laser to measure it...;)

KM

·
Banned
431 Posts
KM, that laser didn't give ya the bolt size did it? ;)

·
Banned
431 Posts
Yeah that makes sense, I was thinking that there might be some play in the OEM bolts. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there a blueprint for these like there is for the floorboards? I have a copy of the floor boards and am going to try to make a set of both.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I sent Lance a rough plans for my brackest and he made them from that.
Glad you like them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts