Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... so I went on a 976 mile road trip all around the Lower Peninsula of Michigan and the bike was 100% flawless and perfect in every way!! Trip was amazing. So... on the way back into town in Detroit it started pouring rain. I turned down the neighborhood street and it was completely flooded. Over the front wheel at least. A guy was stopped in front of me and that’s how I got into the whole mess because I couldn’t see the flood until I was in it. Sucked!! I powered through it as that was my only choice and sure enough the Vulcan must’ve transformed into a jet ski and rode out of it perfectly!! It was amazing. The water was going over my head even. Well... the next day I started it and it idled perfect. I let it run for a while thinking I would dry it out or whatever. The following day I got on the freeway and it died. It kind of felt like it was running out of gas. I let it sit and somehow it started up and I made it home. My friend who fixed my charging issue and is very skilled has been trying to help me. He seems to think water is not the problem and that it’s the ignition module. He said spark plugs are sparking but might want to change those out anyways. Here’s the issues: it’s stalling at stops (haven’t gone very fast because I don’t want to get stranded somewhere), smells very rich, throttle is sticking at about 2k and then coming back down and idling way too low. It’s just running like crap all of a sudden I would say. We took off the gas tank and shot air through the tube that goes up by the gas cap. I don’t know... I’m certain it has to be something from the river I rode through seeing it was nothing short of perfect for 976 miles before that. I’m going to change my spark plugs. What could have water in it still? What could have gotten damaged from the water? What do I need to check? Thank you and much appreciate it in advance and Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
I was thinking about condensation from steam getting into the CDI, JB, etc.

But it starts and runs until it gets warm. How long before it will restart? Does it bog down before dying or just stop?

First thought is fuel, dirty carbs. But a hot coil might crack if splashed with cold water. Need to see if it loses spark anywhere.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was just driving around the neighborhood earlier it would start right back up after it died. And yes it bogs down before it dies. More often it actually bogs down but doesn’t die.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Seems like fuel delivery. Next time it bogs, pull the choke.

Edit: Look at the carb vent hoses and see if a tidal wave knocked one out of place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw a video about the CDI as I had no idea what that was. It says they can get water in em pretty easily. I’m not quite sure where it’s located and if I can check if it’s damaged. I’ll report back on the hoses from the carbs tidal wave idea.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Are your air filters dry?
Good idea, soaked air filters would be worse than running with the choke on.

I don't think it even start if the CDI was wet inside.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I’m not quite sure where it’s located and if I can check if it’s damaged.
The CDI is under the right side cover, and is the largest rectangular box on that side (there are a couple things jammed in there).
I think Spockster is right that if there is water damage there it would be consistently messed up and wouldn't run properly at start up. Those boxes are closed at the factory by melting plastic bits of the case together like a rivet, but the two halves still nest passively back together fairly well if you want to pry the case open to see if there's water penetration or not. If water had gotten in it would probably still be wet inside since there's no air circulation. I think chances are low, though, that the CDI is the culprit.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Once it stops raining here I’ll be checking on the air filters. So when I was having issues before there’s that tube that comes from the T out to the right side of the bike and was just flopping in the air. One of you guys told me to get it out of turbulent air and I tucked it back behind the carb and it completely solved my problem. Yesterday I tucked it into the lower “ear” of the air filter housing because going through my posts one of you said that’s actually where it goes. I feel it’s been a little worse since I did that. Maybe because the filters are wet? Standby haha.... thanks

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Make sure the end of that hose is cut at a 45 degree angle, if it's straight it can seal off when it bottoms out in the hole. This is from the manual.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Filters seemed pretty dry. They do smell like gas though. Also that tube is not cut at a 45° angle. Seems weird the manual says to cut it, why wouldn’t it just come cut properly?

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Because the manuals are usually from either Clymer or Haynes not Kawasaki. If Kawasaki had their way, we wouldn’t work on our bikes, we’d bring them to the dealerships for repair.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Filters seemed pretty dry. They do smell like gas though. Also that tube is not cut at a 45° angle. Seems weird the manual says to cut it, why wouldn’t it just come cut properly?
They do come that way, someone must've replaced or cut it square.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp... 4 brand new spark plugs and so far so good. I know those plugs are made do withstand water but the bike was submerged. Didn’t see much water in there. Felt kinda greasy in the front left one so I dried it up with a towel in there. Hope that’s all it was and I can go on another 1,000 mile trip cause man that was great. If anyone needs any moto camping recommendations in Michigan hit me up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess my new question is: can spark plugs get ruined from a Vulcan going swimming? Or can old spark plugs just not cut it anymore after a swim? If the answer is YES then I hope the $10.50 I just spent solves my problems

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
I guess my new question is: can spark plugs get ruined from a Vulcan going swimming? Or can old spark plugs just not cut it anymore after a swim? If the answer is YES then I hope the $10.50 I just spent solves my problems
It reads like the vent hose fixed the problem.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Why ignore advice that's known to work?

You posted earlier you put it back in the filter housing.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
If your vent is really behind the carb, you carb probably has water in it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts