Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first long road trip last week and decided to take my vulcan. I could not be happier with how well it did. I went across the Midwest riding an average of a little over 500 miles/ day. Started my trip with a tank of bad gas which caused me to periodically lose a cylinder for a short time (mostly rear but front once) but that slowly went away as the head did or debris left the carb. Itmade me nervous that i wouldn't make it the whole trip.

I even got into an accident in Illinois on my way out (I'm fine, landed on my feet and the driver was at fault). Only problem was it bent my forks. Tested it out and it rode straight... when the handlebars are turned to the right and my windscreen seemed a lot taller when I left. It soldiered on and I stuck strictly to highways until I got to my lunch stop or destination for the night. Low speed stuff made me look like I had just started riding because I'm used to straight handlebars. It made it around 2700 of those miles AFTER the accident. A Cleveland motorcycle shop called the forks "so f-ed up the unf-ed themselves." I said I would have gotten it realigned but I knew it worked now but just barely so I wouldn't risk it. He wholeheartedly agreed with me.

Fuel economy wasn't great (40-50 compared to the 60 I had been getting recently on backroads) but that didn't matter because I was drinking tons of water so my bladder lasted about as long as the tank. She burned through 2 quarts of oil in that time (which is normal) but I wasn't thinking about it until that fateful light popped on. Kept the revs up to build pressure until I got to a gas station. At that point I would have put in anything labeled "oil" including cooking oil if i had to. Fortunately they had motorcycle oil so off I went. I monitored the oil better and topped up 2 more times

My tires were under a year old but started the trip with 9k miles on them. No rain was expected and I monitored them closely. Shinko 230s are the only tire that I'll put on this bike. 13k miles on them and they've turned to racing slicks but they never gave me any grip issues (the 3 rain storms in PA had me feeling not great and leaning off the side like it was motogp so I could keep the bike upright).

The charging sysyem performed beautifully! I have replaced about 8 stators now but finally gave Rick's a shot. I had 2 spares with me and an old battery for a jump/replace until I can get somewhere to put in another stator (brought everything but a drain pan and funnel, would reuse the oil i just put in). I highly recommend a Rick's, shindingen, and the two wire/blue wire mod combo. That seems to have fixed my problems.

I will be taking it on another trip (hopefully to the tail soon if I can get off). As far as touring accessories I had a caw phone mount which I'm happy with as my phone clearly still takes pictures, an ebay windscreen (which was great before the top half broke in the accident), saddlebags (don't know brand, came with the bike) with custom made chain locks,, and an inflatable seat cover from china which I highly recommend. Back left turn signal gave out on the first day and the metal piece was stuf in there and front right is dangling from the crash. New turn signals are ordered but hand signals work well enough especially on the highway. Also the exhaust "leaks" as in the clamps rusted through so they're just sitting on the pipes and held by only the frame bolts.

I was considering a big older touring bike when I returned but no longer think it's necessary. I may still get one in case my girlfriend can join next time but don't feel it necessary for solo trips at all. The passenger pegs (touring pegs in my mind) are great to rest your feet on occasionally to switch up your position as well as resting your heels in the front pegs. Overall the bike did everything I asked of it and more! I actually stumbled across a 750 tonight that I may buy because of how great this trip was. New forks should arrive this week and it'll go straight to the shop for that and the front tire change since it's $10 with the front end already being off. I included some pictures of the trip and damage to the bike to go with the story. Can't wait to get it back but in the meantime I'll get my boulevard c50 registered in case I can get another week off before it's done. Otherwise I'll have a goofy looking f4i with cruiser bags to take or god forbid flogging a purple/teal klr250 for 8 hours a day on the highway.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Helluva ride.

Only got 6000 miles out of my 230s, but I ride hard and our roads are a little extra twisty. 34 mpg is my best, so you're doing good. Carrying the extra stuff probably cut your mpg a bit.

I decided to get the Shinko 777 for my next tire, a bit heavier weight rating and I like the tread pattern. But I thought the 230 was great.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad someone enjoyed it! The trip was the time of my life and now that I know that me and the bike are capable of doing a trip like that, I'd love to meet up with people for some same bike riding. My buddy who just started (but did a moto trip across Vietnam) got the same bike at my guidance.

I'm so happy with the 230s that they're likely the only tire going on this bike if I have the choice. I'll even try them on my c50 to see how they do with the extra weight but I suspect the 777 would be the better choice there. I never lost significant traction in the rain even with the racing slicks I returned with. I was babying them and insanely nervous but I never felt anything from the tires that made me feel that way. That was just the rational fear of doing something that's a terrible idea.

On top of that, I got a good pay bump at work when I returned home from work so I'm celebrating by getting an airbag vest this afternoon and I am considering taking one of my project bikes to a mechanic for final assembly and just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'd do it myself but I know I'm missing tons of fasteners so I'd pay to not have the headache

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chris, nice write up. Glad you had a good time and that you weren't hurt from your accident. There is nothing like the open road on a good bike. Also glad she kept you moving. Enjoy the next trip.

Keep the shiny side up.

giloutwest

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually really like the stock seat but highly recommend the inflatable one. It was under $30 shipped from China. I originally got it for my zx6r because that seat is like plywood but it messed up the ergos too badly since the clip ons are already so low. Maybe bar risers would fix it up but that's not a long distance bike by any means. After 2 hours, I'm begging to get off it. In other good news, my buddy who got a vulcan as well at my recommendation said I could have his luggage rack. Longer 2 up trips are back on the board

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! Very enjoyable to read. My Vulcan seems to be extremely reliable as well, although we haven't been in as many adventures as you!

·
Grumpy Old Man
49 Posts
That sounds like an trip for a young man, not an old fart like me.
what’s the saying……… Chrome don’t get you home 😎.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually really like the stock seat but highly recommend the inflatable one. It was under $30 shipped from China. I originally got it for my zx6r because that seat is like plywood but it messed up the ergos too badly since the clip ons are already so low. Maybe bar risers would fix it up but that's not a long distance bike by any means. After 2 hours, I'm begging to get off it. In other good news, my buddy who got a vulcan as well at my recommendation said I could have his luggage rack. Longer 2 up trips are back on the board
Enjoyed your writeup. I'm sure if I did the research, I could find a similar seat cover, but would you mind posting the link to the one you have? Knowing it worked so well for you and that it fits the Vulcan is a great plus. I'd be interested to get me one of those.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
Awesome write up

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered it on AliExpress because I love getting Chinese crap like this to test out and I figure "how hard can it be to make turn signals?" So I have some of those coming in soon too (this will likely bite me in the butt). There no link but the product name is "KEMiMOTO Air Pad Motorcycle Seat Cushion Cover Universal" and I got the xl size. It's a knockoff of the airhawk IIRC.

Originally bought it for my zx6r which may look like it has a seat but in reality is made of diamond or whatever substance is harder than diamond. It's universal fit so you can throw it on any bike but be aware it will raise the riding position (on zx6r it had me even more leaned forward) and if I tried it on my klr, there's no way in hell I could flat foot it anymore but on the vulcan its perfect because I like the bit of extra distance to the pegs. May consider getting a small one for my gf as a passenger but that might be irrelevant now with my 8th toy purchase of an ST1100 which would take over the long 2 up trips. I can't bring myself to sell the vulcan because it treated me too well on the trip after being such a problem child its whole life. Would be a shame to let it go after finally getting everything sorted after 2-3 years of ownership

1 - 12 of 12 Posts