Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone will be in Wildwood, NJ for the rally on September 5 through the 8th. I have made the last two years and have all intentions of being there again this year even if I am told "no speaking" after my upcoming throat operation. (as if my silence is a possibility ever) It is a really good time and can be done for a minimum of cash outlay. Last year there were more than 80,000 bikes and they are looking to pump that number to 100,00 or more this year. As mentioned, I will be there with several other riding buddies and I would like to set up a ride for possibly Saturday afternoon if we can get more people together. Location is pretty great and the local police pretty much let the bikers police themselves. They do not even enforce the metered parking as they do on other weekend convention/rallies. Its a great way to check out what a real bike rally really is without heading to Sturgis or Daytona. It is also an easy one day ride in and out for a wide area here on the east coast. From NYC down to Washington, DC could do it as a long one day event if time dictates.

If you are interested in going leave a message here with the days you will be in Wildwood. Also if you have a suggestion for a ride destination from Wildwood mention that also. Thanks.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess either no one is heading to the NJ shore or people are waiting till the end to make a decision. If there is any interest let me know for just a meetup or to set up a ride on that Saturday.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hi Tom, things are getting tight for me, between weddings, parties, kids birthdays, house work, real work, possible travel for work for a week then again for possibly a month, I need to pass on the shore this year. Was going to go down for just a day too, which may still happen but it does not look like it is in the cards. Good luck with your throat.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I may still make it for a day trip....was kinda hoping to drag Merc with me....maybe I can still convince him :motorcycl

If anyone from the North Jersey/NY area want so ride down for the day with me, let me know so we can plan it.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i will not see you there but im in texas so im guessing i wont see any of you guys at the lone star rally either

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
i will not see you there but im in texas so im guessing i wont see any of you guys at the lone star rally either
Good guess. :p

I may still make it for a day trip....was kinda hoping to drag Merc with me....maybe I can still convince him :motorcycl

If anyone from the North Jersey/NY area want so ride down for the day with me, let me know so we can plan it.
I'm really going to try to make it at least Saturday into Sunday this year. I'm traveling the following week so I'll have to see how prep for that goes before deciding...

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I'd have considered it Tom, but my bike still has an overheating issue....also, I couldnt handle the NJTp, lol....Id need to take 287 down to wherever, then backroads, so KC and Merc wouldnt ride with me anyway....they like the bigroads....

Besides...its too close to Catskill Thunder, and Im cuttin that shorter as it is because of my spleen....2 days instead of 4, or sumpin....

I'll try fer next year...if Im still ridin, lol....

·
2,528 Posts
I gotta work that weekend at the gun shop. Maybe I could plan it next year. I'd like to get out on a long ride now that I could get 250 miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I'd have considered it Tom, but my bike still has an overheating issue....also, I couldnt handle the NJTp, lol....Id need to take 287 down to wherever, then backroads, so KC and Merc wouldnt ride with me anyway....they like the bigroads....

Besides...its too close to Catskill Thunder, and Im cuttin that shorter as it is because of my spleen....2 days instead of 4, or sumpin....

I'll try fer next year...if Im still ridin, lol....
Didn't know side roads were an option, you calculate the route, and if I am actually around and not ripping the remainder of my hair out, we can do back roads, I am sure KC will have no issue with that either, unless it turns a 3 hour ride into an 8 hour ride.... keep us posted on it, I am going to try if I am around. Just for the day though.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Would either be a shortcut to 206, or 287 to 206....I gotta get my thermostat out before I even think of it....
And today, my oil drain started leaking (picked up O-rings)...I may not even make Catskill at this point....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Would either be a shortcut to 206, or 287 to 206....I gotta get my thermostat out before I even think of it....
And today, my oil drain started leaking (picked up O-rings)...I may not even make Catskill at this point....
287...I'd rather take the Parkway since there are no trucks allowed.

287 and the Turnpike are the roads I try to avoid.....just sayin....:motorcycl

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are plenty of smaller roads as I only started doing hi speed hiway riding late last year. Going down to Wildwood I go straight down 537 and then pickup 9 in Tuckerton. I take that down except for a few short detours onto the Parkway for construction but quickly back onto 9. I work for the NJ Turnpike and don't use it when I ride the bike into work. I have cleaned too many accident results from the roadway to become another statistic. Let me know what you decide. Right now I am in Bermuda and will be returning Friday afternoon. I am trying to get my head straightened out before I go in for my operation in eight days. I'm not ready to deal with that yet. The other operation was very smooth, hassle free and successful but this one has my head messed up. I already had one or two complications with the other procedures on my throat so I am being cautious for now.

Again let me know what you guys decide and if you will be down there we can set up a time and location to meet up.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bumpy, bump, bump.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Last bump. Just finished packing the bike for a 6:30 AM start in the morning. This week I put on new saddlebags. I had to fabricate a quick brace for now to hold them out and away from the rear tires but I sketched out what I want to make afterwards for permanent braces when I have more time. I will be meeting up with Bill on his turbo charged diesel home built trike on the other side of town. After we get some miles done it will be time for a late breakfast/early lunch. We are taking a long slow ride through the scenic Jersey Pinelands on the way down. I hope to stay away from the Parkway at least till the last fifteen or twenty miles. Should be good riding weather especially in the early morning. It would have been good to meet up with some other Vulcan forum members once I get down there but maybe something will work out before the weekend is over.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Enjoy yourself tom, things got too busy I have one thing sat that I have to do then sunday I need to do stuff for myself that needs doing, along with going local for lunch.... enjoy your time there!

kenny

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Enjoy yourself tom, things got too busy I have one thing sat that I have to do then sunday I need to do stuff for myself that needs doing, along with going local for lunch.... enjoy your time there!

kenny
I certainly intend to enjoy. Maybe another year we can do it as I hope to keep going there every year as long as it is like the last two that I was able to attend. It isn't Sturgis or Daytona but 80,000 bikes in a Jersey shore town is hard to pass up. Besides I had vacation time from last year that I needed to burn before I lost it. I hope to make the ride on the fifteenth and possibly bring Bill along and I am sure I will be doing more rides through the fall season.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
I certainly intend to enjoy. Maybe another year we can do it as I hope to keep going there every year as long as it is like the last two that I was able to attend. It isn't Sturgis or Daytona but 80,000 bikes in a Jersey shore town is hard to pass up. Besides I had vacation time from last year that I needed to burn before I lost it. I hope to make the ride on the fifteenth and possibly bring Bill along and I am sure I will be doing more rides through the fall season.
forced to use vacation time sounds pretty nice. Have fun man!

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Hey fellas, I'll be down Saturday into Sunday. I'm at 508D between 5th and 6th on Ocean Ave in North Wildwood. You'll see the Meanie in the driveway unless I'm on it. I'll be at the festival and what not of course so if you wanna meet up, e-mail me - it goes right to my phone which is always on me...

[email protected]

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ohhhhh yeah! Just got back home from Wildwood at 1:50 PM today. It was a nice relaxing ride back just like the one going south on Thursday morning with Bill. We took Rt. 130 to Hightstown and onto Rt. 539 from there all the way to Tuckerton where we turned right onto Rt. 9 and continued on that (two minor detours for construction) all the way down till about twenty miles out. Then it was the last portion of the Parkway/Route 9 to Exit 4B and a straight shot on Del Rio to the convention center. Bill and I were both surprised to see so many bikes in town on Thursday. He thought it would be the two of us and maybe one or two other bikes as it had been years ago when he would go down on a Thursday rather than wait till Friday. On Friday evening the bikes really started to pour into the city. Del Rio was one continuous line of bikes two across per each of two lanes nonstop. What a sight and sound to witness. That went on for hours on end. You had to wait in a line to park your bike on the main road shoulders and the cops held the cagers so the bikes could swing forward and then back into position. Anyone with a trike had a problem if they were looking for a parking spot in an established line of bikes parked close to any particular landmark. There were one or two regular (single) spots per block but not much more. The custom show, biker chick contest and biker battle of the bands were unreal. After the winner was announced for the battle of the bands the winning group went back on stage and stayed for one encore after another. I finally left that after almost two hours of encores. It was just a great weekend. I am really looking forward to going again next year. To anyone that thought about it and did not make it you missed a great time. I did see one VN 750 in town but never did get to see the rider to talk. It was black with gold trim paint. Looks to have been left out in the elements for a time but it was on the road and I believe it was being used semi regular at least. Start thinking about next year and saving some "vaca" so it can happen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts