Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Roar to the Shore bike rally is coming up in Wildwood, New Jersey very soon. It is one of the larger gatherings in the Northeast. It runs from Thursday, Sept. 6 to Sunday, Sept. 9. Several members have expressed interest in being there at least for one day if not all. If anyone is interested in getting together while down there for a ride or whatever let me know and we can exchange some information and make some loose plans for now. There should be a large number of vendors and events the entire time and for anyone that has never gone to a rally of this size it is a great experience within minimal riding distance for many. I believe the four or five day ride to Sturgis or a trip to Daytona may hold some people back from attending those bigger events. See the website: www.roartotheshoreonline.com for more information about the daily events. Last year was my first time attending this one and I had a great time. I hope we can get some more riders there and enjoy some riding time and good times.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I'd love to Tom, as I aint been to the Jersey shore in 36 yrs...used to do Seaside, Lakewood, etc...methinks this is a lil far for both my 85 and my old spine, lol...damn...mebbe I can talk Merc into trailering....me, him and KC...if KC can git parole.... ;)...
Id even do the ride all the way back (backroads/solo), long as I dint have to on way down....
Damn this sounds good bro !....we GOTTA have a last hurrah for the season !...they let ya sleep on the beach there ??? Or did the suits change that ?...used to be great sleeping on the beach at Seaside...

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I'm going to try my best to go but won't make any guarantees. I get back from a week in Paris that Friday, 7-Sept. I'm just not sure a 3 hour ride and crazy jet lag is a safe combination. It sucks too because I have a place down there right in North Wildwood...

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to try my best to go but won't make any guarantees. I get back from a week in Paris that Friday, 7-Sept. I'm just not sure a 3 hour ride and crazy jet lag is a safe combination. It sucks too because I have a place down there right in North Wildwood...
I understand as I spent time in France last year and actually enjoyed it beyond what I am willing to admit to the wife and my daughter. I just got back from Costa Rica last week and that was a good time although they are about to go into their rainy season starting in September. We had rain but still had time to do plenty of things like sea kayaking, zip lining, eco tour with a monkey or a sloth in every other tree. In between the lizards and iguanas were running around so you always had to be looking down and up where ever you were walking plus the huge spiders were about eye level so that added to the whole thing. I even found a scorpion running around at our condo. With all of that it was still a fantastic time.

You have my cell number so give me a call when the time comes and let me know if you can make it or not. It would be fun to some forum members together for a group ride on the main street of Wildwood as most other groups do. We'll get a picture of that to post it here too.

Give me a shout when you are back from France.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
My trailer fits 2, but its loaded with crap right now..... Sept 6th is so far away for me to be thinking about, I just got done with the bathroom, now I moved to outside work, fire wood and yard work - backhoe digging etc... I got my new windshield and the bike is about to become flat black but I have to make time for that.

If you all go - have a blast - I just can't commit.... seems I am more busy then I thought.

Kenny

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I'd love to Tom, as I aint been to the Jersey shore in 36 yrs...used to do Seaside, Lakewood, etc...methinks this is a lil far for both my 85 and my old spine, lol...damn...mebbe I can talk Merc into trailering....me, him and KC...if KC can git parole.... ;)...
Id even do the ride all the way back (backroads/solo), long as I dint have to on way down....
Damn this sounds good bro !....we GOTTA have a last hurrah for the season !...they let ya sleep on the beach there ??? Or did the suits change that ?...used to be great sleeping on the beach at Seaside...
last time i was at seaside was for an after prom party in 90.couldn't go in the water because medical waste was washing up on the shore.damn i miss jersey

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
last time i was at seaside was for an after prom party in 90.couldn't go in the water because medical waste was washing up on the shore.damn i miss jersey
Well years ago New Jersey was finally able to get New York to stop dumping their garbage off of the barges at Staten Island and the Arthur Kill so there is minimal medical waste now. I agree that it took too long to correct that problem but the reality is that New York did not want to do anything about what they were allowing to go into the water and it took some real convincing for them to see the light. I guess they were just used to things being a mess like in parts of NYC and could not see the problem.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Well years ago New Jersey was finally able to get New York to stop dumping their garbage off of the barges at Staten Island and the Arthur Kill so there is minimal medical waste now. I agree that it took too long to correct that problem but the reality is that New York did not want to do anything about what they were allowing to go into the water and it took some real convincing for them to see the light. I guess they were just used to things being a mess like in parts of NYC and could not see the problem.
i know.most of Jersey is beautiful.i miss the hills of northern Jersey the most

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
i miss the hills of northern Jersey the most
Then come down to Strange Days next year...I got my azz reamed fer not going....you can stay here overnight if needed....kids gone=extra room, lol....

If I can sell a few of my antique chairs, I may make it down there anyway...never know.... ;)

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't heard from anyone else that planned on going to Wildwood this weekend but if you do look for my 2000 (Gray/Black) VN 750 and hopefully we can get in a ride or just check out some other bikes and vendors. For those that were trying to go I hope it all works out for you as I know we have lots of members living in the vicinity. NJ isn't that big and it is short ride from NY, PA, MD and DE.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Mebbe next year Tom...too strapped for time, projects and funds right now...sorry brother...:(

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I had the pleasure of going this year....it was a last minute decision that just fell into place.....and a well needed retreat for me personally.

Tom was a great host and I enjoyed the weekend of bike watching and of coarse people watching. I know Tom was snapping photos so maybe he is willing to share a few.

The weather was great other than Saturday night when we kept waiting for the big storm to hit, which never really happened other than some rain.

I made the 3 hour ride to Wildwood and opted to take the Garden State Parkway there and back. The bike performed beautifully a the ride was enjoyable. For the record..the bike WANTS to cruise at 80mph and above....smooth as butter! and still got 47pmg :smiley_th

Thanks again Tom for inviting me!

·
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had the pleasure of going this year....it was a last minute decision that just fell into place.....and a well needed retreat for me personally.

Tom was a great host and I enjoyed the weekend of bike watching and of coarse people watching. I know Tom was snapping photos so maybe he is willing to share a few.

The weather was great other than Saturday night when we kept waiting for the big storm to hit, which never really happened other than some rain.

I made the 3 hour ride to Wildwood and opted to take the Garden State Parkway there and back. The bike performed beautifully a the ride was enjoyable. For the record..the bike WANTS to cruise at 80mph and above....smooth as butter! and still got 47pmg :smiley_th

Thanks again Tom for inviting me!
Anthony, anytime. As we discussed we need to start planning for next year a little earlier so we can be sure to catch a few more of the better events during the weekend and get in a good ride besides. It was very relaxing and some great sights. Something this big that is this close and is actually free in itself can't be beat. You can go down and spend as much or as little depending on your wallet. If we get a few more people to attend next time we will have some more options. It is still very early to start any planning but anyone that may have an interest keep in mind that Roar to the Shore is always on the weekend following Labor Day. Travel from any part of NJ is easy as is NY, PA, DE, and MD. That should open it up for quite a few members here. Arrival anytime from Thursday on leaves ample time to enjoy. Thursday is a little slow during the day but it begins to pickup at night and Friday the majority of the riders roll in and things really start to happen. If you have never been to a large rally you have to try this one. Sturgis and Daytona are larger but this is a good introduction and much closer for the Mid Atlantic and North Eastern members.

On the return trip home, I took the Parkway up to Exit 58 and from there I stayed on Rt. 539 all the way to Hightstown and then just a few miles on Rt. 130 into South Brunswick and home. The Vulcan enjoyed the Parkway portion at 75 - 80 mph and ran great. Riding up through the Pinelands I was having trouble keeping it below 70 but it was open road so I just had to let it go. I did the ride without a stop except for a quick phone call home. I am ready to ride again and I agree the Vulcan is at its best from 5000 rpm and above.

I had some trouble downloading the pictures from my camera but that should be corrected tomorrow morning. Initial viewing on the built in monitor looks good and I will post the best ones as soon as I can.

Thank you for coming along. A biker holiday was just what the doctor ordered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts