Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok folks,

I recently got stranded by a malfunction in the gear change pawl/spring area. After making the repair (about 30 minutes), I thought I could have fixed it and road it home if only I had:

1. 8mm socket and wrench
2. 6mm socket
3. screwdriver
4. Needle Nose Pliers
5. flashlight
6. 6" crescent wrench
7. A way to recover and re-install the motor oil.

Edit: #1 can just be 1/4" ratchet wrench. I could use the 8mm open end I already carry to remove the clutch lever.

Big #7 is what I am interested in. Do any of you folks in the vn750 ether have a good method/device to recover and re-install the oil in the bike while on the road ? I was thinking a four qt. foldable sack of some kind would do the trick.

What say you folks ?

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
That's a rough one. I've never really heard of any prepareness method or carry along remedy for the loss of all system oil. I'm sure you could figure out some kind of rig for carrying oil, but not sure how practical it would be. It's impossible to carry along all things necessary to fix any possible problem that could come up - at least without pulling a little trailer anyway : )

I'll be interested to see what others say.

AZ Kev

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
That's a rough one. I've never really heard of any prepareness method or carry along remedy for the loss of all system oil. I'm sure you could figure out some kind of rig for carrying oil, but not sure how practical it would be. It's impossible to carry along all things necessary to fix any possible problem that could come up - at least without pulling a little trailer anyway : )

I'll be interested to see what others say.

AZ Kev
X2 I got kicked out of Cub Scouts so I'm never very prepared. The first item I would have in a tool bag is an open end/box end 10 mm wrench. Then a sparkplug socket, extra plugs, and fuses. Never thought about saving oil.

·
Banned
448 Posts
I would find a tree or something that I could lean the bike against to minimize the loss of oil. You would have to lean it over at a pretty good angle to keep most of the oil in the engine, but then you would have to worry about gas leaking out of the gas cap.
There aren't a lot of places to keep items on our bikes, as AZ Kev replied so keeping any amount of oil could be interesting.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Good thought Raker. I totally agree with you guys mostly. Obviously I was not considering the possibility of recovering and re-installing the oil before. Deal is, to make this simple and common repair to the pawl/spring mechanism, you gotta drain the oil. If it ever happens again, I'll be thumbin' home again unless I have a chance to deal with it. I just wondered if there were any folks out there that prepared for that need already. It really angered me that this little pawl spring was the cause of my ride ending malfunction. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
This is what I pay "roadside assistance" for. I push a button on my cell phone, a truck comes out and hauls the bike to a nearby dealer, who fixes it while I get a snack and a beer. They call me when they are done and I'm back on the road.

The idea of carrying a drain pan to change my oil while on the road seems horribly paranoic.....;)

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I was thinkin (Darn, thats bad), if it's important to you, maybe get one of those strong money bags that the bank has and find a plastic bag that the heated oil won't melt and put it in the money bag as a liner, then place them in the bottom of a saddle bag or a rear bag as they would lay flat and not take up any room that way...
BTW-It would even make a good bucket to carry water from the creek in case you lost your water, or did I just lose my marbles, no I didn't marble the Sporty, ughh where were we...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Use your helmet :) --

lined with a 1-gallon Ziplock bag.

Cut the bottom corner of the bag to refill the crankcase.

Good luck removing the drain plug with your 6" crescent wrench.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
did I just lose my marbles, no I didn't marble the Sporty, ughh where were we...lol...
Ha ha, you kill me O D.
The ziplock in the helmet (prob have to be a half helmet) is a pretty good idea since I think you can boil food in them. But really, is this pawl deal that much of a common occurance? Maybe the preventive measures to avoid it happening should be up there with spline lube. (Roach, how about a vid? lol). Definitely seems like a b**** though and now I'm concerned about it... and being stranded. Zcragg how many miles you got on your meter again :/ ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
5 quart or liter (whichever they come in) box wine bladder and a small funnel. The bladders can be filled with air for a travel pillow as well: useful when waiting for roadside assistance.

And drain from the filter if you don't have a big enough wrench

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I'm gettin' the bladder ready for ya Z...hiccup...:drool:

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
5 quart or liter (whichever they come in) box wine bladder and a small funnel. The bladders can be filled with air for a travel pillow as well: useful when waiting for roadside assistance.

And drain from the filter if you don't have a big enough wrench

Wine box bladders are 3 liters, but I think the crappy wines use larger ones.....

And..."Good luck removing the drain plug with your 6" crescent wrench"

That...... was truly funny.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
This is what I pay "roadside assistance" for. I push a button on my cell phone, a truck comes out and hauls the bike to a nearby dealer, who fixes it while I get a snack and a beer. They call me when they are done and I'm back on the road.

The idea of carrying a drain pan to change my oil while on the road seems horribly paranoic.....;)
X a millon or i leave my keys for my truck at home . my father has a spare key to my house :smiley_th

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

KM, I agree mostly, it does seem comical from a distance, but using a word like paranoiac to describe this level of readiness is a little over the top. Maybe Agoriphobic? Not sure. Mental disorder not withstanding, I do think that it is entirely possible that my experiences in scuba and climbing has made me consider many creative conditions of readiness, especially for something that has a ‘better than average’ chance of happening. (Full Disclosure) I got one of those help buttons on my cell phone too. I got lucky. My "thumbing home" reference consisted of me "pushing a button on my cell phone” and asking my wife to get in my truck and drive to my location. It was a shorter route to where I wanted to be, which was next to my grill with suds to ponder the days events. "Roadside assistance" on a Sunday to a dealer that isn't open on Sunday's would have had me in a holding pattern for WAY too long. Works for some I suppose.

Maybe the Pawl spring issue is the only one that I could even remotely have a chance to repair that requires an oil drain. In that case, maybe layin’ the bike over (gently if I’m not irrationally pissed) is the best alternative. Lose a little oil, lose a little gas, but get back to civilization ON MY OWN.

Use your helmet :) --

lined with a 1-gallon Ziplock bag.

Cut the bottom corner of the bag to refill the crankcase.

Good luck removing the drain plug with your 6" crescent wrench.
Try your 6” crescent. It should work. Mine does. Or am I missing more than my sensibilities here?
I guess I could up size it to my 10" crescent, just in case I need to do drain the rear end for some rear bevel gear backlash adjustments ... ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,869 Posts
The "joke" about using a 6" crescent wrench pertains to the long history of rounded off oil drain bolt heads as a result from using that particular tool. The bolt has been known to be stubborn... Most recommend the proper sized 6 point socket as the go to tool.

I guess I should add that if your bike had a specific issue that crops up it does make sense to prepare for it.
My comment on paranoia was more for those that although their bike has proven to be dependable, they still carry saddle bags full of all the tools and spares they need should ANYTHING go wrong.

If your bike is really that undependable ....I'd have to question why you even have it. If I can't just hop on my bike and take a 200 mile ( or less ) ride on it without something going wrong with the bike, I'd not even ride it.

If I have to carry a complete tool kit with back up parts to feel comfortable taking a ride..... I'd sell the bike and find one that's more dependable.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
If I have to carry a complete tool kit with back up parts to feel comfortable taking a ride..... I'd sell the bike and find one that's more dependable.
KM-You nailed that for sure... That said, I do carry a small china-mart $9.97 Slime top off 50 psi 12v pump and a plug set...
Hey check'em out, very small & cheap, and who needs more than 50 psi for their bike tire, its not that slow either, I love it especially for the nickels...

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I've gotten exactly what I wanted from this thread.
Being ready to deal with this particular failure in the future should not include the insanity of an oil recovery sequence.

If it ever happens again though, I will at least have the few tools required, and accept a little oil and/or fuel loss. Thanks RakerBill, best advice (for me) in the thread. I feel confident that if it ever happens again, I will at least have a reasonable plan to deal with it before pussin' out. I'm still gonna have that cell phone just in case though ...lol.

The bike has been dependable enough that I still consider readiness over replacement. I hope this thread somehow helps the remaining VN750 owners/riders.

~~C8>

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
If you have saddle bags, you can find a similar shaped container to fit inside one ( I'm thinking something like a laundry detergent bottle) and cut the top off to make a "liner" that fits inside your bag. That way you can still keep stuff inside your bag and empty the container out to collect oil if you need it. I realize you still lose some storage space but you could conceivably have two of these should you need them. Just my $.02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts