Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two VN750, a 95 & a 96, and one the preveous owner made into rigid bobber by putting struts for the rear suspension. Is that safe? I am also concerned about the force of road impacts damaging the swing arm joint?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
doesn't sound like a tastey milkshake.lol

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
with out pictures its hard to tell.. generally speaking the only thing unsafe about rigids is they turn your insides into a milkshake.
I`m not sure that I agree with you slim. :(
I think the rear suspension keeps the tire in contact with road surface better than a rigid frame does. To me that means it is more controllable and therefore safer. :smiley_th

I am not saying a rigid or hardtail frame cannot be ridden, because they were the standard on older bikes for many years. I am just contending that a good rear suspension is an upgrade to comfort and handling. Hardtailing seems to me to be all about aesthetics and lowering the back end to increase the "coolness" factor. :) Just my opinion.

My advice to you arstrock is this, if you are not a fan of the hardtail/bobber bike, put some rear shocks back on the one that has been modified.
12.5" is the OEM length of the Kawi shocks. If you like the lower look, you can install shorter shocks down to about 11".
Others have bought Sportster shocks, which may be an upgrade over OEM.
If you can afford them, Progressive Shocks model 412 are a definite improvement, but cost $299.95/pair from the maker.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/412series/index.html

However I did see them for sale for less on some retail website a couple of weeks ago. (~ $250 +/- $10 IIRC)
Just found them here for $202/pair.
http://www.onestopmoto.com/412_Heavy_Duty_Twin_Shocks_p/sbps-412p-hd20.htm

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
if you do a solo seat with mountain bike shocks they are not too bad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts