Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I have an electrical problem, the sale of Alcohol goes way up in my area!!!!! This is tooooo crazy!!

When I built my rack for the back a while ago, I put some aftermarket turn signals on it and they work just fine.

Now, the front two signals just fell apart, so I replaced them with the same brand the I got for the back. The left front and rear work well. The emergency flashers work on all four lights. The right light does not blink with the engine running......it is just a steady beam. With the engine off it will blinks so fast that it is almost a steady beam. I connected the right light up to the grey wire in the headlight like the book said.

If the relay is bad, why would the emergency flashers work?

I'm going to have a cocktail!!!!!!:hitanykey

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
If your other turn signals work, it's not the relay. I'd pull the headlamp out and double-check the connections. You've got three for those front lights - one to power, one to the turn signal relay, and one to ground. My money's on a loose connection somewhere in there. Good luck! And try coffee this a.m. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
1 question.......was you having cocktails when installing the lights?? haha

Anyways it sounds more like what Crobins and Kanuck said. Check connections and bulbs (dual filament front/single filament rear.). If they are LED lights you need to install load equalizers to the marker light wires. The LEDs have less power draw and the relay is mistaking it for a burnt/faulty filament. That is if you do have LED marker lights which you didn't specify.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your other turn signals work, it's not the relay. I'd pull the headlamp out and double-check the connections. You've got three for those front lights - one to power, one to the turn signal relay, and one to ground. My money's on a loose connection somewhere in there. Good luck! And try coffee this a.m. :)
Yeah, I learned a long time ago not to have a drink of anything stronger than coffee when working on a bike!!!
I am running single filament on the front signals.......no running lights.
I have the lights plugged into the grey wire. The blue is for running lights and the black yellow is ground. They are not connected. The left side and flashers are perfect but the right is blinking so fast that it is useless.
How simple is this wiring to have these results.
Think I'll just make all left turns!!!!:doh::beerchug:

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The blue is for running lights and the black yellow is ground. They are not connected.
The aftermarket signals have no ground wire and are supposed to be grounded through the stem? If that is the case, there is no guarantee that they are properly grounded. Also, try swapping the bulbs between the left and right signals. If the left side stops working, one of your bulbs is too low wattage.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem!!!

One of the bulbs was the wrong wattage.

How come it's usually something so simple that will drive you nuts??

Thanks again for all your input.:lockd:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts