Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I took off and did an 800 mile rile, I must say I was/am immpressed with the power, and highway ability of the vn750, but the comfort just isnt there, I have swapped handlebars to a lower-&-wider set, but the peg possition is just wrong for me,not enough riding possiton changes avail. any ideas? I preffer to have my feet a bit more under my butt, but the option of putting them forward from time to time is nice as well, as is now I can only stand to be in the saddle for approx 70+ miles at one sitting if this cannot be solved then I must sadly say the '91vn750 will have to be sold for a more suitable ride. Concouse/Fj1100-1200/ eliminator......

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I am in a similar boat Rick with one exception. I am certain that, as far as the seat goes, it's my bike not the model. I bought the same one for my wife and I can ride hers (ahem) all day without seat discomfort. On mine I get the same 70ish miles until I am dying. I reckon my seat padding is just obliterated.

I am an upholsterer, among other things, and picked up materials to redo my seat today. I will try and keep a worklog and post up my progress and and result. The plan is to be done by Friday afternoon. I'd love to head up your way for a longish ride but I think Memorial Day weekend on the 101 is askin for trouble.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I only use my 750 for commuting to and from work and notice that it's not a comfortable ride for me even in that short of distance. Being long legged I also need to move my legs out in front of me more than I can with the stock position. One thing you can do is make some metal braces and attach some highway pegs to them to help get your feet out in front. I would also think a drivers backrest would help with comfort but I would also be adding some pegs out front to benefit more from that addition.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RepairmanSki said:
I am in a similar boat Rick with one exception. I am certain that, as far as the seat goes, it's my bike not the model. I bought the same one for my wife and I can ride hers (ahem) all day without seat discomfort. On mine I get the same 70ish miles until I am dying. I reckon my seat padding is just obliterated.

I am an upholsterer, among other things, and picked up materials to redo my seat today. I will try and keep a worklog and post up my progress and and result. The plan is to be done by Friday afternoon. I'd love to head up your way for a longish ride but I think Memorial Day weekend on the 101 is askin for trouble.

Please let me know how the seat change goes, I would like to possibly add about 1/2 to 3/4 to mine makeing it a wee bit taller that would alow me to put my feet on the rear pegs from time to time for a change up.
As for the forward feet option I am not a fan of that style and only use it to stretch my legs, sorry to say but if I wanted my feet up I would stay at home in my recliner.hahahahaha but yes it is an alternative
If you do come up this way the weekend of June 4th there is a great poker run here in the area, should you come up the day before I will/can offer a couch and or camping.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Well, Rick I dove into the seat rebuild last night and think I found my problem, and mayble others' as well. The seatpan was slung so low by kawasaki that it intersects with the rear fender. The chose to resection the pan as opposed to the fender or raising the seat.

This leaves an inward facing bulge of ~1" with a radius of ~3". For my riding position that's just about dead center tailbone. It would take some pretty artful application of foam and filler to relieve the pressure that high point causes. If you've ever used moleskin on a blister you should be getting the idea. You could make it sit better or look better but probably not both.

This being said I am choosing to rebuild/recover mine instead of broadening the pan or any other major modifications. I am going to attempt to reduce that pressure point while retaining the visual appearance.

This being my first bike I have no relative experience, but is 12ish years with occasional or worse exposure to the elements too short of a lifespan for a seat?

As for the poker run, I plan on attending, there will be several of my coworkers as well. Maybe I'll have to head up early and meet at your station or something.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
The seat recover is complete. I am quite happy with the results, except for a minor sewing boo-boo on my part.

I removed my decrepit stock cover, cut it up into component panels and cut new. I stitched them back together opting for a single seam instead of the factory double seam. The only change from stock I made was adding a layer of 3/4" Dacron (it is like that polyester batting on a roll from fabric store but of a much higher grade).

By retaining the original panel sizes but adding more material I substantially firmed up the seat . I don't believe that the seat height is any higher unweighted but I certainly don't drop down as far as I used to when sitting upon it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way cool!, I am looking forward to seeing it. you may have to do anouther

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RepairmanSki said:
The seat recover is complete. I am quite happy with the results, except for a minor sewing boo-boo on my part................
So how did the seat finaly come out?. any photos?.......................

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Ahh good point. I will take some tomorrow to post. I am satisfied with it. I don't get "dead-ass" anymore. It was a very cheap retrofit beyond the material to recover with.

I even made custom covered buttons =)

As an aside, my wife and I are looking for somewhere interesting to ride to and stay for our anniversary in a week or two. Have any recommendations for the Port Angeles area? Nothing over the top fancy or anything....just someplace low key and quiet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lots of low-key, nice places here, and some wonderfull if not spetacular riding.
I will have my wife drop you a line she was born/raised here and knows all the "cool" places, I have only been here for a few months.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I'm just curious about what size riders here have had trouble with the stock seats? I'm 5-9, 260 lbs and the stock seat in combination with the small footpegs was making my riding miserable on long rides. I traded someone my stock seat for an older mustang seat. The mustang seems to have much harder foam, so I don't sink into it as much. Within days of adding the mustang seat, I also added floorboards that I built using Knifemaker's photos for copying. Between the mustang and the floorboards, it has made a huge difference in comfort. It still isn't quite as comfortable as my KZ1000P but the cop bike outweighs the vulcan by 200 lbs, so it doesn't bounce or get blown around as much, and the seat on the cop bike is, well, unbelievable for comfort, plus it has the huge floorboards with heel/toe shifter. Pretty dang cushy.

Anyway, the new floorboards made all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Posted pics

okay Rick, I know it's a day late but the pics, such as they are, are uploaded. See my member gallery. They were a hair too large to post inline with my message.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts