Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Would like to thank you all again for your patience in dealing with my electrical issue, not to mention the awesome advice given!!!

I think I've mentioned it before, but we moved to North Carolina back in January but are still trying to sell our home in Mississippi. I brought some but not nearly all of my tools with me. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my soldering iron... I hate borrowing tools from people, so I was wondering a couple of things.

1) How long should I go without solder on my new connections for the stator legs rewiring and the replacement of my R/R. I wrapped all new connections with a good dose of 3M electric tape.
2) Because I rewired the stator to R/R wires, I removed the existing wiring harness insulation from where the stator wires join the harness near the stator to just past the battery box. Enough room for me to remove the old stator and include the new stator wires and wires from the R/R. My question is, can regular electric tape be used to replace the insulation I removed from the wiring harness?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Steven

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
It should be fine. A more perminant solution would be some heat shrink tubing or liquid electrical tape. The liquid stuff I've used in the past & usually put 2 or 3 coats on. Pluss it's water tight. It would make a good solution even after you solder the connections.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be fine. A more perminant solution would be some heat shrink tubing or liquid electrical tape. The liquid stuff I've used in the past & usually put 2 or 3 coats on. Pluss it's water tight. It would make a good solution even after you solder the connections.
Thank you Kanuck!!! I don't guess I have ever heard of liquid electrical tape. Need to look into that.

Do you have any input on using regular electric tape to rewrap the wiring harness?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
That should be fine to do. I would add a small zip tie to the end just to prevent the tape coming loose & unwraping. It may be an overkill step but at least you'll know it's there till you take it off.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That should be fine to do. I would add a small zip tie to the end just to prevent the tape coming loose & unwraping. It may be an overkill step but at least you'll know it's there till you take it off.
Good suggestion... I did at least bring some zip ties with me to North Carolina.

Thank you again for the tips!!!

Steven

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found some liquid electrical tape online at Lowe's. I learn something new every day :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Local WalMart carries it too. Around $3 IIRC.

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not meaning to be a dik here, but you could have asked this question in one of your two other stator threads here. :)

Starting a new thread to discuss the same topic (stator wires) is exactly what the others were trying to get you to avoid.
Am I going to be under the microscope from here on out? This was about wiring in general. I mentioned the stator wires, but this thread was more dedicated to soldering connections and what ways people have re wrapped wiring harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Am I going to be under the microscope from here on out? This was about wiring in general. I mentioned the stator wires, but this thread was more dedicated to soldering connections and what ways people have re wrapped wiring harnesses.
Sorry , but the way I read your post here...and I did read it again ... It does say stator wires-R/R wires:

"1) How long should I go without solder on my new connections for the stator legs rewiring and the replacement of my R/R. I wrapped all new connections with a good dose of 3M electric tape.
2) Because I rewired the stator to R/R wires, I removed the existing wiring harness insulation from where the stator wires join the harness near the stator to just past the battery box. Enough room for me to remove the old stator and include the new stator wires and wires from the R/R. My question is, can regular electric tape be used to replace the insulation I removed from the wiring harness? "

Had I though you were asking about wires in general I would not have posted the above..

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry , but the way I read your post here...and I did read it again ... It does say stator wires-R/R wires:

"1) How long should I go without solder on my new connections for the stator legs rewiring and the replacement of my R/R. I wrapped all new connections with a good dose of 3M electric tape.
2) Because I rewired the stator to R/R wires, I removed the existing wiring harness insulation from where the stator wires join the harness near the stator to just past the battery box. Enough room for me to remove the old stator and include the new stator wires and wires from the R/R. My question is, can regular electric tape be used to replace the insulation I removed from the wiring harness? "

Had I though you were asking about wires in general I would not have posted the above..
Sorry. I agree, I should have made this a statement about wires in general, instead of mentioning the stator and R/R.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
No appologise needed, not a big deal, just saw it as an opportunity to give you an example.....not make you one.

On a more topic related side, you can buy a usable soldering gun at Walmart or Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Mine is buried in a storage locker somewhere, but if I needed one....I'd pick up a cheepy to do the job.....and even possibly return it after I was done. ;)

·
Wareagle1970
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
No appologise needed, not a big deal, just saw it as an opportunity to give you an example.....not make you one.

On a more topic related side, you can buy a usable soldering gun at Walmart or Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Mine is buried in a storage locker somewhere, but if I needed one....I'd pick up a cheepy to do the job.....and even possibly return it after I was done. ;)
Noticed Radio Shack had a soldering pen for about $10.

And I still need you to make me a seat like yours.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts