Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the larger forum members, what is your riding position. Do you hug the tank with your knees, or sprawl out?

For some reason, sometimes when I am riding, usually all sprawled out on the bike it feels like it wants to lean to the right and flop over no matter how fast I am going. I think I just need to modify my position on the bike and not try to wiggle around when I am riding. If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.
I'm not your size, but it sounds to me like you may be accidentally initiating a countersteer while you're moving around. But like I said, hard to know unless I'm in your shoes.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
For the larger forum members, what is your riding position. Do you hug the tank with your knees, or sprawl out?

For some reason, sometimes when I am riding, usually all sprawled out on the bike it feels like it wants to lean to the right and flop over no matter how fast I am going. I think I just need to modify my position on the bike and not try to wiggle around when I am riding. If I move around the least little bit, the bike will try to turn sideways, but I think that's just because I am so big and its not the bikes fault.
I'm heavy duty too and I make mine squirm when I move around too,normal behavior for old springs and shocks being asked to do more than they were designed for when new:BLAM:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

Check your tire and shock pressure.

Reminds me of what Dolly Parton said years ago when her dress split open at the Grammy's. "My daddy always said you can't 10lb of potatoes in a 5lb sack". ROTFLMAO

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Yup..she had some big potatoes. Put the shock pump on your shocks and see what pressure they have and if they are equal. I kind of pinch the tank with my knees but only because the dam tank bag gets blown of at 70mph on a windy day. It cant be trusted. Othewise i would just relax and be ergonomic as best as possible.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I"m 6'3" and mighty fat. I always hug the tank with my knees. Its what I was taught in moto safety class and have always rode hugging the tank. It also gives me better balance when riding.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
KwisatzHaderach, don't get one of those that go to 300-400 psi, they tend to not work good (accurate) at the lower pressures of motorcycle shocks and forks...
More for bicycle forks I think...
Maybe a 60 psi guage, thats what I have and wish I had got a 30 psi one instead...
[Edit] But on my Sportster I only run 5 psi in my forks and 10 psi in my shocks...[End Edit]
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips. I might drive down to the HD shop this weekend and see what they have. I have a feeling, my wallet will not like what I find.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I hug the tank when it's a bit cool or even down right cold and when navigating tight turns(i.e. when riding the winding roads in the mountains and so forth). Otherwise, particularly on hot days, I sprawl out and get comfortable.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I might drive down to the HD shop this weekend and see what they have. I have a feeling, my wallet will not like what I find.
I can tell you what they are as that is what I wound up getting and it is the best one I have and they are supposed to be made by the same company $46.95 for the HD one...
I think I gave $29.95 for one from Amazon that looks the same except for the color and will not read well below 10-15 psi and would also loose air on removal...
If I could find it I would give it to you for shipping...lol...
Others have had better luck with them I think, I guess I just got a lemon...
Here is the HD one I have...
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...4302290991&bmUID=1274835051204&bmLocale=en_US

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I simply bought a bicycle pump at Wal-Mart and pumped my rear shocks a little over what I was shooting for to compensate for air loss on disconnect.

·
MO Rider
66 Posts
Is 5 and 10lbs of pressure the recommended for the forks and shocks? Whats the most before they blow? I'm about 195.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Is 5 and 10lbs of pressure the recommended for the forks and shocks? Whats the most before they blow? I'm about 195.
No not for the vn750 That is just what I run in my Sportster, I usually ran 20-30 psi in the shocks on the vn750 and I weigh about 225#...
When the wife @ 145# rode with me I usually cranked the spring up a notch from pos. 3 to 4...
If I remember correctly on the vn750 you can run up to near 70 psi in the shocks and not blow the seals, but someone with an owners manual should correct me if I am wrong...
I run 5 psi in the self installed schrader valves in the forks on my Sportster which is supposed to be ok up to about 10 psi, above that may blow its seals...
I have Road King take off shocks on the rear of the Sportster and run 0-10 psi in them...

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I find that when I hug the tank I burn the cuff on my right pant leg.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I have changed my position to riding with my knees out flapping in the breeze....two benefits.
1. Air Cooling of my groin area at highway speed.
2. Not as fatiguing since i dont have to flex muscles to put knees on tank.
When i am engaging in technical moves etc..i bring my knees to the tank. then going straight i let them flap. Plus its stretching and improving circulation.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I always let my knees hang in the breeze, the groin cooling is nice.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I hang loose. Too hot to pull in tight. On long stretches, I extend out to my highway pegs. I also found when I do this it funnels more airflow to the motor and actually runs a little cooler. Especially since I installed the radiator grill guard.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Only the earliest models have an air valve in the fork tubes, maybe `85 to `87 model years. Usable pressure range is from 0- 7.1 psi when cold.

Rear shocks for a rider weighing 150 lbs, with no other luggage, set dampers at #2 setting and atmospheric pressure. For heavier rider or loads, increase damper setting, usable pressure is from 0-43 psi when cold. Maximum pressure is 71 psi.

Info from Clymer manual.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts