Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Saturday morning I was out riding when I came upon a road that had been milled for repaving. Well you know what that's like, the front tire tends to get pushed all over the place! A couple of times I though I might go down. I slowed down to about 25 mph and pulled over so that other traffic could pass but what I'd like to know is... Is there a trick to riding on milled pavement?

R

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
So Saturday morning I was out riding when I came upon a road that had been milled for repaving. Well you know what that's like, the front tire tends to get pushed all over the place! A couple of times I though I might go down. I slowed down to about 25 mph and pulled over so that other traffic could pass but what I'd like to know is... Is there a trick to riding on milled pavement?

R
You just have adjust accordingly. It is like riding a dirt bike across a plowed field. Just go with it, don't fight it too hard.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Its more fun after they put the oil down, feels like you are using a steel plated shoe too...lol...
Once was enough, I never want any more of that...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
X on the just go with it. some of you might not know this, but Michigan's roads are under perpetual construction. so this is nothing new to me :)

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
X3 Don't fight it, it may wander some, but it shouldn't go down. At least mine never has.

·
Registered
796 Posts
+1 Ruger

I have noticed better control over grooved/milled roads since I put wider tires on my bike. Dunlop D404 110/90-19 on front and 170/80-15 on back.

Same here with the road construction.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
x4 on the roll with it. it feels bad but its ok. you should try a steel drawbridge in the rain. those of us in the dc metro area remember the old woodrow wilson bridge.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Yeah just try to stay with it, don't use any large inputs - throttle, steering, or breaking. I cross 3 open grate bridges on the way to a buddy's and get the same wondering feeling. Its sucks eggs in the rain. You're bike will be fine just no sudden or big moves.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah bridges with grates are pretty bad and yesturday a friend and I took a ride down to the coast to go out on the fairy to Islesboro Island for some scenic riding and the fairy had grated ramps on an incline. I told her to hang on and just took it easy and steady. Luckilly it was'nt raining or wet.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yeah bridges with grates are pretty bad and yesturday a friend and I took a ride down to the coast to go out on the fairy to Islesboro Island for some scenic riding and the fairy had grated ramps on an incline. I told her to hang on and just took it easy and steady. Luckilly it was'nt raining or wet.
Man I hate to but you left this one hanging over the Plate,I don't ride fairys,I believe you mean ferry.Riding fairys is a mental image I don't want to have.Sorry ,but feel free to have a chuckle on me anytime ,you deserve one.;)

·
Registered
796 Posts
OOPS! :doh: my bad. Guess I better lay off the pixy dust!! lol

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man i hate to but you left this one hanging over the plate,i don't ride fairys,i believe you mean ferry.riding fairys is a mental image i don't want to have.sorry ,but feel free to have a chuckle on me anytime ,you deserve one.;)
lmao!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok, back to roads. You guys should join us in the south in late July thru Sept. "Ass-fault" roads turn to sponge with oil slicks floating on top during 100+ weather.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I am far enough south that I understand what you are talking about ,plus we have 8 wheelers hauling 40 to 60 tons of coal that leave big ruts where they slow down up hills and at intersections and it is even worse after a rain that floats the oil up to the surface.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Even our Texas roads are showing deterioration from the big trucks and the cold wet winter.
With this fallen economic times I don't see them repairing them back to what they were any time soon.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! This is me biting my tongue, this is me biting my tongue. Thanks for the save Denny...

·
Registered
796 Posts
Been on the southern roads a few years back and know what you mean. Up here in Maine you have to watch out for the potholes that can swallow a bike. Oh and the fairys that you hit while riding. lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
My wife was reading with me and reminded me that not all Texas county's spend money on asphault. They leave some as red clay. Now there's a difficult road to ride, especially when wet.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts

R
Yes, toss the pos Shinko tires and get Metzlers or Venoms.

;)

KM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts