Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunblocker or Super-Visor testimonials...?

Hello all.

I recently started a new job and find myself riding directly into the sun on both legs of my trip. I wear a full-face helmet, and can tip my head a little to reduce some of the blinding effects (I do wear some great sunglasses which help a LITTLE), but I was thinking it sure would be nice to be able to have something like the sun visor on a car or truck, but didn't think there were any options for full-face street helmets.

I did some Internet searches and found the 2 products mentioned in the title of this post. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with either of them, or maybe even some other ideas of how to deal with the blinding sun?

It seems to me that the Sunblocker is basically just like a tint strip, or some type of shading that would only mimic what sunglasses do. I could be wrong - that's why I'm asking here. As far as the Super Visor goes, it looks ok, but I am concerned that it is so large it may obstruct my vision a bit.

I would love to hear what you all have to say about this and appreciate your feedback. Happy - and safe - riding all :smiley_th

AZ Kev

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
During the day I wear sunglasses ...under my dark tinted visor. I also put a strip of plastic tape along the very top of the visor..(electrical tape works well)
...so I can tip my head down a bit and completely block the sun.

My clear visor has a strip of tinted tape at the top... Found a roll of colored transparent tape that works great and is enough to do about a hundred helmets for three bucks.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just depends on the time of year for me. Fall and spring I ride home heading straight west.

I had considered a tinted visor (full face helmet) but I ride in when it's dark and don't like the idea of not seeing then, or carrying two visors. Thought about getting a Scorpion EXO 1000 or the new 500 with the retractable visor, but wonder how they'd work when you're already wearing sunglasses.

So far, it's just been squinting and tilting my head down.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Dirt helmets have a built in visor.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I'm with you man. I ride east on the way to work and west on the way home. I wear shades under my clear visor but for some reason when I tip my head down, a shadow comes over my eyes with just my normal full face on. Maybe there's a full face out there that has a little removable visor like the half helmets have. Might be worth a look...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Dirt helmets have a built in visor.
I remember the old Bell helmets you could snap a small visor on to it. My dirt helmet would probably snap my neck if the the wind caught it just right.

·
Registered
133 Posts
LOL...If you lived in the UK,,then you wouldn't have that problem. We get a good 3 to 4 days of sunshine a YEAR. Honest. :(

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I wear a helmet that has flip down shades. In those blinding sunlight hours, both way commute for me as well, I wear yellow tinted sunglasses under the built in shades.

It works great for me, and no clearance issue at all.

This is the Helmet I wear

P.S. - The bluetooth sucks for phone calls at any speed over 30mph, but is great for listening to pandora radio or other music sources through my phone

·
Registered
802 Posts
Like the e tint, until I saw the price.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
my helmet has a retractable visor under the clear shield as well plus I wear sunglasses with them. works well but still sometimes I have to look down and to the white line on the road like you would in a car at night when another car blinds you!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Like the e tint, until I saw the price.
Well I gave you the cheap answer (plastic tape). An actual bill type visor sounds like it tear your head off a high speeds.

Although I can switch my visor out in 15 seconds, if I plan on being out past sunset, I'll just take another helmet with a clear shield with me.

(the advantage of large sidecases....:) )

·
Registered
802 Posts
Well if you're givin stuff away, I'll take the etint. :p

Didn't see where they said it was removable, but I may have just missed that. I'll go through a few visors before I retire a helmet.

I guess the tape would work too. I'll have to see if there's any in the fanny pack.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
P.S. - The bluetooth sucks for phone calls at any speed over 30mph, but is great for listening to pandora radio or other music sources through my phone
Must just be a cheap Bluetooth.... I got a CARDO Team Set that when I talk to anyone on the phone I can hear them fine, and they don't believe me that I am on my bike.... much less going 80 mph.

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice/tips guys.

Btw - what's up with all the ad postings today??? Sheez...

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Must just be a cheap Bluetooth.... I got a CARDO Team Set that when I talk to anyone on the phone I can hear them fine, and they don't believe me that I am on my bike.... much less going 80 mph.
I actually think it is more because of bad helmet design and mic location. The helmet is also modular, so it has a long "nose?...face?...front part" and the mic is actually embedded in the padding and pointing towards the front of the helmet. Even with all the vents closed and what not I think it just gets a ton of wind travel over it.

At low speed or stopped people have no idea I am on the bike or on a bluetooth for that matter

·
Git-R-Done!
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tip Ron. That Hawk helmet looks pretty sweet. I'll have to see if any distributors or stores here in Phoenix carry them because I refuse to buy a helmet without tying it on first. I hope at least one does though, cuz that thing looks sweet - and at a great price! (good reviews too, which always holds a lot of weight with me).

Thx : )

AZ Kev

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Thanks for the tip Ron. That Hawk helmet looks pretty sweet. I'll have to see if any distributors or stores here in Phoenix carry them because I refuse to buy a helmet without tying it on first. I hope at least one does though, cuz that thing looks sweet - and at a great price! (good reviews too, which always holds a lot of weight with me).

Thx : )

AZ Kev
Its pretty much the exact helmet I have without the graphics or bluetooth. It is a nice helmet and I like it except it is a little long in the front. I suppose this is because it is modular.

I would recommend it, and their sizing chart is fairly accurate IMHO:smiley_th

1 - 19 of 19 Posts