Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Riding in the rain

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  OleDirtyDoc 
#1 ·
I have a ride scheduled for Saturday, but it's supposed to rain. Any tips besides, "don't ride in the rain"?

#3 ·
All of the above, and make sure you have a rain suit, which I don't have at the moment. I love riding in the rain, but it almost never rains where I live (Phoenix, AZ) Riding in the rain is no fun if you get soaked, and if it is hard rain it feels like getting hit with bird shot from a 12 gauge unless you have the proper rain gear. Your main concern is loss of traction. Easy on the throttle, easy on the brakes, take it slow in turns.

#4 ·
I ride in the rain so often it's second nature to me. A good set of chaps, leather jacket,and take it easy. No sudden movents, stops or acceleration, and try not to ride in the middle of your lane, as that is where oil and antifreeze tend to build up from cars. Watch out for gravel

Sent from my A502DL using Tapatalk

#5 · (Edited)
I think "take it easy" sums it up, but might be subjective (my "easy" might be harder than yours ;) )
So I always say ride like you are transporting a bottle of nitroglycerin sitting on top of your tank. Brake early and smoothly, and be as slow and smooth as you can taking off. Along with avoiding the center of the lane as mentioned, watch out for painted lines as they can be slick as shiet.
That and get a good rainsuit and waterproof gloves/boots. I always armor up for wet roads....luckily never wiped out though.

The hardest thing to do, especially for a new rider or someone that's never ridden in the rain before is to stay relaxed. ;)

#7 ·
My helmet is hi-vis yellow. Wouldn't trade it for the world, 'cause you can't miss it!

Loud pipes? Nah. Hi-vis & helmets save lives. Rain or shine.

#8 · (Edited)
I mostly agree with everyone is saying. I've been in some real downpours at different times. I'm not saying that I'd want to stop quickly or anything like that, but I've found that bikes don't seem to hydroplane like cars. If you have visibility, speed ain't gonna kill you. A quick stop or something like that would suck, but the bike can be pretty stable at speed. Well, that's my opinion, anyway! :motorcycl

GDI

#9 ·
...... the bike can be pretty stable at speed. Well, that's my opinion, anyway! :motorcycl

GDI
Yep - One night coming back from LA in the pouring rain - worst I've ever seen - and the bike was perfectly stable. My biggest worry was the traffic around me. Was wearing all the goodies, too! Warm as toast and dry as a bone!

#10 ·
Yeah, I've been on the freeway at 70mph+ with no handling issues. With good tires they get the water out of the way quickly. Visibility and car's behavior does seem to be the biggest danger in the rain. Slipstreamer windshield is a sweet addition, keeps the rain from pelting me. Gettin wet is a pain, but back when I had my garage I could just close the door after pulling in and strip down. Don't think my neighbors would appreciate me doing that in the backyard of my apartment building, though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.