Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Houston, which is known for high temperatures and ludicrous humidity, especially during the spring and summer. It's come to the point where I feel I can only ride during the evening, simply because it's nearly unbearable otherwise.

Here's the problem: Fully geared (black helmet, black leather jacket, black gloves, black boots, etc.), it's extremely uncomfortable to ride. It's just too bloody hot.

After a 30 minute ride I come back and do a 'cool down' run without any gear just up and down my quiet neighborhood streets a few times, and it's absolutely phenomenal.

Is there a way to combine the protection of gearing up with the comfort and 'openness' of riding without gear?

There has to be a solution.

/noob

·
Registered
802 Posts
Have you tried any of the mesh riding jackets?

I can do the helmet, gloves, boots and long pants in the spring and summer. But a t-shirt is hot enough. Yeah, not any protection at all, but I like it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried any of the mesh riding jackets?

I can do the helmet, gloves, boots and long pants in the spring and summer. But a t-shirt is hot enough. Yeah, not any protection at all, but I like it.
I haven't, mostly because I'm a vain imbecile and think they would look silly on a cruiser rider.

I actually think that the helmet bothers me the most. It's just a huge contrast in enjoyment between riding without one and riding with one...really frustrating.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean, I hate wearing my helmet but know I should. I have a half shell I wear when its hot out, I also switch to my leather vest and shorty gloves. I will admit though if I get to hot in 98 degree weather the helmet comes off. Id rather not get heat exhaustion....delerious conditions are obviously not safe. Another thing to look for: I got one of those silly scarf things you let soak in water for about 45 minutes then it stays cool for two days...when wrapped around your neck it actually helps cool because it cools the circulating blood a bit...definately helps for hot riding conditions.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have to take a few days off from wearing my gloves on the ride home. The tan arms an suddenly white hands are starting to become really noticeable. :(

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
You can get mesh jacket and pants in black if you want to look like a "cruiser guy". I started out that way. Older and wiser, I'm now in the process of getting a white mesh outfit. Yeah, it shows dirt real fast, but it is more comfortable than black. I don't give a hoot about what other folks think; I'm the one sweating.

I have a windshield and at speeds under 60 mph, usually ride with the visor of my FF helmet open. Really don't have any problems with the heat, but there aren't many stops where I ride.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a windshield and at speeds under 60 mph, usually ride with the visor of my FF helmet open. Really don't have any problems with the heat, but there aren't many stops where I ride.
Even with my windshield off, on the ride home in the evenings I have the visor up. Got a pair of tinted safety glasses for the eyes. If I come up to conctruction area with lots of dust, or people cutting their lawns, I'll flip it down. Even with all vents open, it gets hot fast.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I don`t have to deal with temperatures like you folks down south do, but I am looking for a white helmet instead of the flat black one I currently have.
Firstly for the Hi Visibility safety factor, and second to reflect as much heat as possible in summer weather.

I second the idea of wearing mesh jacket and pants.

The neck coolers work pretty good for walking or hiking, but don`t evaporate water fast enough to be really effective at 60 mph in 100*F temps. A bandana and a bottle of water that you can re-wet it with every few minutes is more effective.

Cooling jackets that you soak in water every hour or so are also available.

Riding more than a few minutes in temps higher than 99*, without a helmet, jacket and gloves can leave you more suseptible to heat exhaustion than if you wear it.

Trying to ride long distances without them is slow suicide IMHO.

·
Registered
802 Posts
A big key to doing anything in the hot temps is hydration before you go. And not just right before. In the afternoon I'll drink 2 or 3 bottles of water. When the temps are cool, and occasionally cold, I wouldn't have had those.\

Also helps to have a nice frosty adult beverage at the house, for when you do get home.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I ride wearing a t shirt and short pants under my mesh jacket and mesh pants. Still have good protection with remaining relatively cool. No huge problem with the heat. Still much better when I am moving. What is it riders always say? I would rather sweat than bleed!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I ride wearing a t shirt and short pants under my mesh jacket and mesh pants. Still have good protection with remaining relatively cool. No huge problem with the heat. Still much better when I am moving. What is it riders always say? I would rather sweat than bleed!
What temps do you ride in?

·
Noob.
69 Posts
I ride with boots, gloves and jeans. Thats it. I couldnt imagine wearing full gear as hot as it gets here. Even without gear on its still pretty toasty even at 60+ mph...just hot air murdering my face.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well yesterday it was 104 and today was 106 for my 40-45 minute commute to work. Does that count as hot enough? lol

I wear Jeans and my Danner boots with thick socks. On the top half I wear my Tourmaster flex jacket with just the mesh "base" jacket. I have to wear a T-shirt for just the ride to work and then my work shirt is what I change into later. Oh, and a full faced black helmet.
Here is the jacket I use, in the "silver" color. Good visability without being too sport bike. http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=248&cat=3

Here is what I found works for ME.

I hydrate like crazy. I drink a 30 ounce glass of water just before leaving the house. Unless I am under 15 miles an hour I leave the visor DOWN. I tried it with the visor up when it was only around 99 and I was noticably hotter and felt "Drained". I keep the vents open but close the Visor, this keeps me coolest. When I get to work I douse my head in water and use the sweaty shirts few dry patches to wipe off. I start drinking water as soon as I am at work, I usually will drink 30-40 ounces within an hour of being at work.

The last two days I have been riding without gloves on to see how my hands feel compared to my arms that are covered with the mesh. (Well actually my kids stole my gloves and I can't find one of them... Just sounds cooler the other way :doh:) My hands feel way hotter then my arms. I will be going back to wearing gloves (Just "mechanix" gloves, they are surprisingly comfortable and "vent" well).

I also "move my arms up and down (Chicken wing style :wow:) while riding the bike every once in a while. I have found that I will change the air flow in the jacket just enough that it "super cools" the sweat spots and you can really tell the difference in your body temp after doing that.

So that's what works for me. Yea I am hot and sweaty on the ride and my core temp is probably up around 100 or so when I get to work but I do not feel sick, light headed or have that "drained" feeling you get before heat strain or stroke attacks. Figured I would pass on my way of staying cool.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bought a chrome "skull cap" this year after feeling like my brains were about to boil a few times. Rode back from Panama City Beach to Atlanta a few weeks back, 96 degree's when I left PCB and over 100 according to several signs I passed along the route. Had to stop about every 45-50 minutes and drink a bottle of water. 7.5 hrs of riding in the hot sun pretty much drained me by the time I got back.
While in Florida, I rode several times without a helmet, really nice, kinda like riding in the bow of a boat. I'm now ready to move to Florida just so I can ride without a helmet if I want to.:) I can certainly understand why folks who have gotten used to riding without a helmet get so upset when laws are passed requiring their use. I mean, it's not like you won't die sooner or later anyway, why not enjoy the time you have until then. ;)

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,860 Posts
I haven't, mostly because I'm a vain imbecile and think they would look silly on a cruiser rider.
Takes an honest man to admit that they would choose looks over comfort.

Ran into a couple of "black leather biker dudes" that commented as I walked by in my silver and black mesh jacket, mesh pants, and silver FF helmet:

" oh look , it's a "Power Ranger"....."

I turned looked at them and said , " Guess I would rather look like a Power Ranger than one of the Village People..."

I've seen guys on scooters wearing full face helmets....looks a bit out if place, but to me they get more points for brains and balls than those wearing nothing
at all. (you do not need to wear a helmet if the scooter is under 50 ccs here)

·
Registered
30 Posts
But think how much cooler you'd feel if you ditch that black helmet for a white one.........;)
:smiley_th
Black is the only color they had in XXL that was under 600 dollars. I will be picking up a white or silver one soon. Trust me I have been riding long enough that black is the last color I choose for riding gear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts