Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newb rider, I've been trying to find something reasonably safe to wear while riding. I figure my worn out jeans and t-shirt probably aren't the best if I hit the ground.

Where is a good spot online to get gear? My local bike shop said they have to special order everything, and online its never clear what is good and what is crap. I'd like to get something lightweight, breathable, durable, and ideally non-leather. Any recommendations on brands, styles, sites to check?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Draggin Jeans are cool, I've been looking at them. Pricey though.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Newenough.com
Great place to get gear, it is last year or 2 year old but new never sold.
Top stuff at great prices, check ther closeout section.
I got a Joe Rocket Rio jacket Light free flow and protection, I got the Dry Tech liner also just in case I get caught in the rain.
Look at Techstyle jackets

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
IMO "newb rider" (no offence, it is your own words :D) needs all the protection he can afford. at the least it should be:
1. Full Face Helmet - even though you on a cruiser the belt sender below is the same. IMO beanies look much more stupid the FF (which i don't care how it looks).
2. Riding Jacket with elbow and shoulder protectors, leather is the best but much more $
3. good riding gloves - extremly important!!!
4. over the ankle riding boots - crusial part as most of MC related injuries involve feet as well.
5. riding pants or overpants. i have and recommend mesh pants, was good for 85F in florida and 39F (worn over jeans) in deals gap. IMO chops are not going to do as they don't cover your butt - the part of the body that is going to do most of the sliding in case of the get-off.
all in all around 500$ of investment. might look expensive but this is even more important than your motorcycle - this is investment in your safety. if you would like i can post a collection of pictures of my buddy after nasty fall and slide, the gear was destroyed (covered by insurance BTW) but saved his hide, he just walked away .

not mandatory but highly recomended:
6. rain suit - got stuck in pouring rain only once but IMO it completley paid off the expence. i really like the AX-1 from nelson rigg.

you can try ebay, got many stuf there for dirt cheap.
and one more vote for newenough.com - amazing prices but you need to hunt for them. just got my wife cute feminine Sidi boots (i personaly don't care how it looks but girls sometimes can be very picky, lol) and a new jacket (instead of my old not very feminine one) on closeout, spent 110$ on about 350$ worth of equipment. now if i only could somehow convince her to wear riding pants... still looking for a cute pair.

i do realize i may sound like a safety freak, but i dont give a sh...t. no matter how hot it is outside i'm not going to ride without ALL the gear i mentioned. even if it is 90F.

but eventually it is your choice.

stay safe

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a pair of Draggin' Jeans about 6 months ago and love them. I had to send the first pair back though, because the waist was too small. I wear a 34 in every brand of jeans I own, but for some reason the Draggin' Jeans were tight and I had to go with a 36.

Well worth it, though.

I also like my Joe Rocket Super Ego jacket. Full riding weight leather with elbow, shoulder and spine pads. For warm weather, most of the leather zips off, turning it into a mesh jacket. The leather stays over the shoulder and outside of the arms, and the pads stay in place. Very comfortable.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
When you find something you want you should look on ebay. I just picked up a new Teknic Supervent mesh jacket for $63 including shipping. Can't comment on it yet as the bike is down - but it fits nicely, looks good, and appears to provide good protection in a crash. Not as good as leather I'm sure. Originally, I tried a perforated leather jacket but it was just too hot.

If you're looking for a good, but inexpensive, full-face helmet, I highly recommend the Scorpion EXO-700. www.tonker.com has them for $180 including shipping.

Good luck and safe riding!

Mark

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
I'm with tankist-I don't care if it looks stupid-saftey first! a full face helmit (or any helmit) may not be "cool", but brain damage is really not cool!!

I have a pair of "draggin' jeans" got em off ebay for around $50.00. I love em! I also got off of ebay (for like $35.00 with shipping, a real steal!) a "draggin' jeans" jean jacket. I also love it! it's great for warmer weather.
I have a heavy leather for colder wearther.
so ebay is a good place to find gear. I also like to go to "shade tree" they have really good stuff at really good prices. they're online too just do a search for "shade tree motor sports"

ruger

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
I'm a "newenough" customer, and also Draggin' Jeans, and I can vouch for them as well. Good value, good service, good merchandise.

Not to sound like the grim reaper, but as a newbie rider you are obviously more likely to have a spill or a crash than someone more experienced.

Thus, I would like to encourage you to especially focus on getting a full-face, DOT-approved helmet. In the event of a crash, your face and chin area are the most likely areas to get hurt--but not with this type of helmet!

For the moment, when you buy a more expensive helmet, what you are really getting is a helmet that is more comfortable for longer rides. Go to a good helmet store with a lot of different brands, and try on as many different models/brands as you can--a really comfortable fit means having a helmet you'll love, vs a helmet you hate. Different helmet models/brands are designed for different shaped heads. To save money, go with a solid color helmet, and stay away from graphics, or racer replica patterns--those are just fancy ego trips for the owner.

Also, get a good set of gloves (full-finger, & with a gauntlet). Good brands are via Aerostich, and (again) New Enough.

Riding boots: Cruiserworks. Accept no other substitutes.

You would do well also to read the following:

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/novices/

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Good point on trying it on first, any gear that is not comfortable you wont wear it. It will do no good at home.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I also have a Joe Rocket Rio and it is very light weight and gets a lot of wind through the perfs. Good armor in them as well. I actually steal the armor out of it in the Fall and put it in my Fieldsheer leather coat. (armor is extra $ on those)

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
FErgy do you have a liner for the Rio, I just got one and wow what a difference, Waterproof and lined.
The Dry Tech liner fits perfect.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
I always wore a 3/4 helmet until Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident. That was a wake-up call. I went to a full-face, and now wouldn't ride without it. I bought the basic HJC AC-12 and love all its features, although I just replaced the stock face shield with a reflective shield that makes sunglasses unnecessary (yet still allows me to see well at night). I bought the white helmet (with night visibility in mind); however, I may move to the yellow when I replace it in a year or two.

HJC ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=21609&department=101&Division=1

Updated 5-27-07: My new Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 armored/mesh jacket ~ intense, bright yellow (though not high-viz) and black with reflecting material ~ is my summer commuting jacket. I love it! The ventilation is great, and I feel safer with the armor. It has a liner I've used on a cool morning, but not yet in rain. I never thought I'd wear a jacket when it's 90 degrees, but it works.

Joe Rocket ~ http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=20076&department=112&Division=1

I wear Tourmaster Standard Summer Gloves.

I'd like to find a good short boot ~ the best I've seen are Harley Davidson 6" boots which come in several styles that look more like hiking boots (which I like) than the classic motorcycle boot (which I don't like). (But do I want to sport the H.D. logo?!) I'm wondering if a basic boot by Redwing or Timberland would offer sufficient crash protection?

I'm still checking out various leather (lined, vented) jackets for spring and fall (everything from Draggin Jackets to Fox Creek Leather). And I'm still not quite sure what to do during the winter. Last winter I wore my L. L. Bean ski jacket with Carhartt lined bib overalls. I was quite warm, but under-armored. Aerostich Roadcrafter/Darien suits/jackets are highly rated but very expensive. But their many advocates claim they can be worn in extreme heat and extreme cold ~ the true 4-season armored clothing.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Good point about the Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback accident. That was indeed a "wake up call" for us all, I'm afraid, about getting serious with (full-face) helmets. Glad to see that you "get it".......

Charlie, if you're looking for a good, short boot, why not pay the Cruiserworks web page a visit? They have one or two models like that. The styling doesn't sport a logo, either. If you want something more subdued, they could be the ticket.

I've been very satisfied with mine. They do a good job keeping out the rain, too.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
The redwing motorcycle boots are great. I'm on almost 2 years wearing them every day (which equates to over 20k miles - mostly short trips). I can attest to the fact that they offer adequate crash protection. I had a spill a while back (slid a decent ways) and one of the contact points was the boots. There's a metal redwing logo right around where the "knob" near your ankle is - that got ground, my "knob" didn't. The boots made it out still very wearable.

Just so ya know, the boots I bought were made here in the US. The new ones are made in china. The design is supposedly still the same, but when it's made in china you can sometimes never know. The boots (like any good boot) hurt like hell for a while, now I forget I have em on.

I've also bought the hein gerike engineer boots from newenough http://newenough.com/browse/closeouts/boots 49.99 and steel toe. The sizing is the same (at least for me) as the redwings and they seem to be well made. I've only worn em 4 days since I hate breaking in boots so I can't say how they'll hold up. I'm certain, however, that they'd do well in a crash. They have pretty heavy leather, etc.

Whew... long post about boots.

·
Straight roads are evil
580 Posts
All the gear, all the time (ATGATT). I ride with an Icon jacket, Firstgear overpants, leather gloves, boots, full face helmet. Earplugs too, they really help make the ride more enjoyable.

Icon often gets bashed as squidly poser gear, and it's true, some of their stuff is pretty garish. Check what's available, they do have some good stuff. When my jacket does wear out, I'll probably go with Alpinstars.

ATGATT. Just going down the street to the sandwich shop? FULL GEAR.

Ask around in your local riding community for the best stores.

·
Super Moderator
11,927 Posts
I said it on the other forum, and I will say it here..Joe Rocket textile stuff is not as well made and is over priced. There, I feel better. Don't want to piss owners off here, but when compared to jackets/pants made by Icon, Olympia, and especiealy Fiedsheer and Firstgear, Joe Rocket stuff is not that good. I am talkking price and quality here. If you get a good deal on a jacket, It's a good deal, so enjoy it. But this is apples to apples. Newenough carries many brands, and so do not limit your choice to the more "well known" Joe Rocket stuff. Many members on several of the forums I am on agree that Joe's stuff ain't that great. Some noted that in crashes, whole seams ripped open.
See what you can find from one of the other companies mentioned above before getting any Joe Rocket stuff. I will point out that the problems seen are only with their textile jackets and pants, not the leather ones, or other stuff like gloves or bags........

KM

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
... Joe Rocket textile stuff is not as well made and is over priced... KM
No offense taken, KM. I have read this too. But I did quite a bit of online research (and in the store comparing) before buying my Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 textile jacket (I am definitely not an "impulse buyer!"). And I picked up two basic trends: 1) most riders who have worn this jacket for hot summer commuting (like I do) really like it, and 2) Joe Rocket textile gear (and gear in general) has improved significantly in quality over the past couple of years.

That said, I don't have extensive personal experience with the wide range of motorcycle protective gear on the market. And I have not yet been skidding on the pavement in my Phoenix 4.0 ~ the ultimate test of a jacket's utility. Let's hope I don't send an unhappy post of painful regret from my hospital bed some day! Meanwhile, so far, I like everything about it.

To all: please keep those product reviews coming!!!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
FErgy do you have a liner for the Rio, I just got one and wow what a difference, Waterproof and lined.
The Dry Tech liner fits perfect.
No Chad, never did pick one up. I've got a light rain jacket that has a light flannel liner in it that stays in my saddlebag until summer hits. Then I don't need the liner since we don't have cool mornings by then. Usually in summer I wouldn't need to carry my rain gear either, but I do.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would suggest Ozark Moutan Leathers. They have a cool package deal that will get you started with the PROPER gear to ride. And the prices will not break your bank account.

http://www.bransonwholesale.com/leather-packages.html

All you need after this are leather boots and gloves.

I know its getting tward summer and the temps are climbing but if your on the road u need to wear your gear. Every time I see some ID10T riding his crotch rocket in a t shirt, shorts and sneekers I Wince to think how much flesh he/she will leave on the pavement if they dump the bike.

So helmit (DOT/Snell) approved, leather Gloves (not fingerless), Leather coat, Leather Chaps, Leather boots (over the ankle). Is the correct way to ride safely.

:motorcycl

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Checked out Ozark Mtn Leathers. Lots of leathers their. Saw my inexpensive EBAY Pakistani Saddle bags listed. What I liked most was one of the Men's Leather jacket with a Gun Pocket..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts