Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Yellow 1986 VN750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been checking out these forums since may after I picked up a yellow 1986. Thought it would be time to introduce myself since this community has been helpful getting this rig moving.

Did lots of riding when I was younger and spend a lot of time wrenching on old metric bikes I’ve owned (mostly 80’s Japanese thumpers, parallel twins and quads). After having a kid, moving to a new town & job I found myself selling my last bike to keep the family housed, comfortable and happy. 8 years later I find this yellow 1986 VN750 on Craigslist for $400 and figured “why not?”

Fella I bought it from said he was a vn750 enthusiast (maybe a member here?) and was selling this bike as he just got his hands on a newer model. Last tabs were from 2004 and the date stamp on the tires were from 1998 so I knew the thing hadn’t been on the road in some time. Body work was in good shape if not maybe a little weathered and everything seemed there so I trailered it back home.

Since I knew this thing’s been sitting for about 15 years I started to tear into the carbs and change fluids rather then spray a bunch of ether down the intakes and crank. Rebuilt the carbs with niche cycles’ kit, replaced the throttle cables and a dozen spit/cracked hoses, gutted the evap and blocked off the reed valves with a heater core delete plug. Ignition wise I replaced the spark plugs, wire & boots, hotwired the ignition coils and did the pick up coil mod.

Fired right up with only about 2 seconds worth of cranking. Dialed in the idle air fuel mixture, synchronized the carbs and she started purring at 1100 rpm. About this time new tires showed up and I didn’t want to ride around on questionable 25 year old rubber. With the wheels off I rebuilt both front calipers with a brakecrafters kit, swapped out the rear shoes and lubed up some great looking final drive splines. Once it was all back together thought I’d take my first ride in 8 years.

And run it does. Didn’t take long to get comfortable with this bike. Lots of low end and freeway passing power. Nice cruising around 3k-4.5k. Front end does feel a little soft and there’s lots of fork travel when loading the front tire for quick stops but things stabilize quickly.

As far as quality of life goes I detailed and cleaned up all the painted and plastic bits. Stripped and waxed the tank, took a heat gun to resurface faded gray plastics, polished the chrome and degreased the engine (evidence of spark plug weep hole oil leak). Since mounting saddlebags required relocating the turn signals I decided to replace them with some black sequential blinkers controlled with an adjustable speed led relay. Covered the old rear signal mounts with 3” amber LED marking lights and installed an additional pair above the reflectors on the cowl in front of the tank.

Think I’m at the point to where I can just saddle up and ride without much thought (no chain to maintain!). There are a few quirks I’m working through. After sitting overnight it will run on one cylinder for 5-10 seconds if started on the side stand. For now I leave it on the center stand when I can and it’ll fire up and hum happily. Only other possible maintenance items I’m eyeballing is replacing the clutch plates and tackle the occasional coffee grinder I see on cold mornings. Scared the crap out of me when I went for a U turn while not quite warm, feathered the friction zone and the bike jumped like it was gonna buck me off!

I brain stormed with my boy on what we should call daddy’s new bike and we settled on the Murder Hornet. Now that it’s cleaned up I think the yellow is starting to grow on me.

Thanks to all those who have shared their experience on this forum and helped me get back into riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

Sounds like you're ready to go, looks good. Great name for the bike.

That one cylinder startup is a quirk on this bike. I think the gas evaporates quicker on one carb when it's on the side stand.

Coffee grinder can knock you flat on the ground if you're not careful.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Welcome,
Sounds like you put a good amount of love into this machine, it’ll pay you back with fun,

I kinda dig the yellow to be honest.

·
Registered
Yellow 1986 VN750
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hrm maybe I'll do a little sleuthing around and see if I can dig up some history on this ride. Guy I bought it from only had it a couple of months and had little details on. paint looks and feels like an enamel job but was done very well. A little rubbing compound and wax and she shone like new.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Coffee grinder is when your clutch plates don’t fully oil up. Usually when the bikes been sitting cold. Makes a horrible noise and lurches the bike

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,426 Posts
Welcome to the nucking futhouse

Sent from my A501DL using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts