Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of putting together a quick run to Pikes Peak and back from Birmingham, Al.

Looks like it's about 1300 miles there and 1300 back. According to google maps it'll take 20 hours. I figure I could do a best of about 12 hrs a day on the bike. so pretty much 2 10 - 11 hr days trying to cover 700 miles a day. Spend a day actually riding up the mountain looking around then heading back home. So that leaves me with 5 days. Figured I'd camp to keep costs down.

Have I gone nuts for trying to do something like this on this time frame? working on doing longer rides now. But so far the farthest has been nashville and back in a day 4 hrs each way.

Anyone ridden up to the top of the mountain?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not really crazy at all. Doing 700 miles a day is more then I would like to do, though I have and could do it. It all comes down to your own personal comfort level.

I'm doing a nearly 3,000 mile ride at the end of June, but we are spreading it over a 11 days. We have quite a few places we want to stop and decided to do low mileage days in between.

Now, If I were to do a trip to Pikes Peak, I would likely do the same as you, get there as fast as I could manage, but send a couple of days there. (at least 2, maybe 3 max)

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really crazy at all. Doing 700 miles a day is more then I would like to do, though I have and could do it. It all comes down to your own personal comfort level.

I'm doing a nearly 3,000 mile ride at the end of June, but we are spreading it over a 11 days. We have quite a few places we want to stop and decided to do low mileage days in between.

Now, If I were to do a trip to Pikes Peak, I would likely do the same as you, get there as fast as I could manage, but send a couple of days there. (at least 2, maybe 3 max)
In a perfect world I'd do that. However this is something I think I want to accomplish on the bike and that means no wife, so thus the compressed timeline, It's hard enough to get off work but heaven help me if i have off days and don't get something done around the house lol.

Just wondering if I'm fooling myself that a ride like that can be done on a vulcan with no windshield and just some small saddle bags. . .

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,364 Posts
I did 500 miles Sunday back from DC and I think if I didn't have the stock seat on my sportster I could have done 700 or more pretty easily. On a vulcan, if I trusted it to do that kind of mileage (would never have attempted on my old one), it would be easy because it's far more comfortable than a ridgid sporty. I dare say on a very comfortable bike a 1000 miles isn't out of the question at all. I wished I had a spare tank though. Stopping every 100 miles to fill up is a pain kinda. Though my ass would say it was just fine stopping every hour and a half.

·
Registered
579 Posts
wow that is a long trip on a 1200 Sportster. I have driven a 2003 model across town and my hands and feet felt kind of numb from the vibration on the bike. But I overlooked because of the power that was harnessed under my butt. That was a fun bike but not too sure I would travel 500 mile or even 200. WOW
:motorcycl

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm up for a trip to Pikes Peak, I have a slight advantage, I can see Pikes Peak from my back deck. Beware carburetors can act a little funny at 14,000 ft

·
Overkill? Whats that?
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm up for a trip to Pikes Peak, I have a slight advantage, I can see Pikes Peak from my back deck. Beware carburetors can act a little funny at 14,000 ft
Ya I was kinda wondering how bad it would be taking a bike that's tuned for sea level up to that height...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts