Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all, haven’t been on for a long time and hope everything is going good for everyone. I’ve had a little heart problem and now I have a new valve and some new piping. Now with that said, I have to take warfarin (blood thinner) for the rest of my life and would like to know if anyone out there is taking blood thinner and is riding now. Just don’t know if I should keep my bike and keep riding or not.:motorcycl

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Hi to all, haven’t been on for a long time and hope everything is going good for everyone. I’ve had a little heart problem and now I have a new valve and some new piping. Now with that said, I have to take warfarin (blood thinner) for the rest of my life and would like to know if anyone out there is taking blood thinner and is riding now. Just don’t know if I should keep my bike and keep riding or not.:motorcycl
I feel for you and realize this is a hard decision.It all boils down to the question of whether or not you are comfortable and do YOU think it is right for you?

Personally I am diabetic and ride every time I get a chance,I know I need to keep on my toes and be aware to eat regularly and take my meds or risk A dangerous drop in blood sugar levels,which causes all kind of problems,or having it go too high and the problems it causes.

These are totally unrelated medically,but my point is .that a lot of people on here have to take medications to lead pretty normal lives and still ride .

My advice is go with your gut feeling on this you know better than anyone
else if you should limit your activities and what is best for you,and after all I am sure almost all the members on here would want you to do what you feel is best.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i would say just be aware you will bleed like a stuck pig if you are injured, whether riding or not. just stay safe and avoid injury and you'll be fine. If that means you gotta give up the bike thats the decision you have to make. It all comes down to your level of comfort with the situation as it is.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I know a lot of people on thinners, my dad for one.
They all do what ever they want and feel they can do.
As said above you will bleed a lot no mater what you do if you get cut, also bruising is more as you probability already know.
I say if you feel good go for it.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I would research the best ways to treat a very bad cut and carry the stuff you need with you, just in case. Like everyone says, a cut will make you bleed no matter what activity you are doing, riding or not. But if you are prepared in case of an accident, you reduce the chances of something critical happening.

So if it was me, that's what I would do. Research ways to stop the bleeding on severe cuts, buy the stuff needed to do it, carry it around. If an accident should happen, an ambulance might be too late, but if you know how to help yourself then you minimize the risks. Even if you were in a bad accident, if you are left conscious you could instruct someone on how to treat anything that's bleeding too much.

This is all thinking about worst case scenarios... it just helps to be prepared.

I do hope you never have to be in such a situation, no matter if you keep riding or not.

·
Registered
292 Posts
+1 on the medical supplies then ATGATT and ride. I heard of a man when I lived in CA who was Parapalegic(thats probably spelled wrong) but continued to go solo 4-wheeling trips. There came a time when he mis judged and got highcentered and stuck, but he died doing what he loved. There are worse ways to go

·
24 Posts
There is no reason why you can't ride. I have a coronary artery blockage and ride almost every day. Many of my friends have medical conditions and ride as well. As long as you feel fine and your medication is keeping your particular
condition under control you can do lots.

The only way I would consider giving up riding is if my doctor told me to. After all, you still drive your cage, don't you?
:rockon:

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Great balls of yape dung, I can't hardly give someone else advise, but I'll tell you about myself...
First I have 4 stints, had 2-90% blockage, 1-80%, 1-70% about 20 mos. ago and was and am on a bunch of stuff but dropped the Plavix about 8 mos. ago...
I rode and ride like I always did and don't give it that much thought, wrong I guess but I really love to ride, I love riding the twisties and with a little feel, I have about quit riding with the other over the hill riders because they are mostly too slow and easy, I don't ride with the younger crotch rocket folks either because they are too good and fast, so I mostly ride solo and do the twisties my way...
My folks don't seem too happy about the solo part, but I tell them not to worry my cell phone has the GPS locator on it and they can find my stinking arse off in the woods with out too much trouble...lol... I know they love me, and are just trying to look out for me, but its not like I'm going to be around another half century, at 73 I feel like at least trying to enyoy the rest of what I can, and while I am still able...
That being said, I still don't want to mix it up on the Dragon with that bunch of idiots too much, maybe in the middle of the week sometime...lol... I'll stick with the lesser known twistie roads...
A lot of good advise above, and good luck with your health and your riding...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
They can rebuild you they can make you better, faster, stronger.... You are not dead I say if you feel comfortable with it and you want to do it, go for it.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
I would keep ridin' were I you but I love it with my soul. Pushin' up daisies is the only thing gonna keep me from ridin'. You might be different and that's understandable. Have you asked your doctor's opnion on the matter? He/she may provide some insight that might sway you...

·
Registered
802 Posts
My dad had triple by pass surgery and was on thinners till he died. Cancer turned out to be the only thing that could keep him off a bike. Even then, it had to take two tries.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
... Now with that said, I have to take warfarin (blood thinner) for the rest of my life.......

Got Kevlar?

:motorcycl

If you are not prone to dizzyness or faintin spells, go for it. I know more riders taking medication for heart issues now than those that don't.

You got the new plumbing so you can continue to LIVE....not to just sit in chair and watch TV till you die.

That's my take on it.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
not wanting to hijack ,but curiosity has me wanting to know what a Yape is Old Dog?

"Great balls of yape dung,"

Is it a cross between a Yak and an ape or did you misspell or is there some critter in TN,not native to KY?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Lil slang in there Denny, ok- ape dung...lol... Actually a phrase we used to use as kids, when we didn't want to get in the habit of using actual curse words I guess...lol... And we did use the word yape, I always thought it ment ape though...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
sounds like a good reason to go buy all new gear to me!

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
As the quote goes "You can either Get busy living, or get busy dying".

Also you can use Super glue to seal shut a bad cut.

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
I cannot advise you to ride or not. I will say I will continues to ride for as long as I am physically able to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is your choice, I had an issue 15 months ago and have been on warfarin since then. I just love to ride and will ride as long as I can. My Choice and passion.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts