Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, I just got my new Metzler ME880 Marathon tires in. Front 110/90H-19/TL and rear 170/80HB -15. Now I read on the Forum that they are not that great anymore....... Oh well, I got'em so I'm gonna use'em! My question is, what are your feelings on using Ride On? They claim you don't have to have them balanced when you use it. BTW, it would have saved me a new tire on my Ninja had I used it because I pushed the bike about 10 feet with a nail in it and it pushed through the sidewall.... Plan on lubing the splines while I have the rear tire off.
Thanks,
Gregg

This is a re-post from the wrong subject.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I believe you should have your tires balanced properly first.

But still put in the Ride On. I been using the stuff for years and it's worth the price. Would not ride without it.

Luckily I've never had to test it's purpose, but I know many that did and thank god they put the stuff in there.

Next to SeaFoam.... it's my most highly reccomended product.

It's supposedly true that Ride On will HELP balance your tires.... But think of it's true purpose.... I'd rather have it evenly distributed through out my tire than to have it all on one side because the tire was way out of balance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The product for balancing is a tire balancing bead(Dyna Beads or similar) I have not used them on my bike but they are in my F450 dually and seem to work well there. I wonder if they can be used in tandem with Ride On
Cheman

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
The product for balancing is a tire balancing bead(Dyna Beads or similar) I have not used them on my bike but they are in my F450 dually and seem to work well there. I wonder if they can be used in tandem with Ride On
Cheman
I'd have to say NO.
The dyna beads are cool, but Ride On will balance your wheel AND seal punctures.

It's really not that hard to balance a tire. If your unable.. Some shops have dynamic balancers... Which tell what side (left/right) the weight needs to go.. Usefull on those wide tires and something neither of those products address.

·
Registered
195 Posts
thats sort of what I figured as the Ride On might keep the dyna beads from distributing properly.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Hay Gregg ride on is great stuff, but the problem with it is that it will not seal a side wall hole in the tire. The stuff stays in the bottom or tread area of the tire, and will only seal the hole if it is in the tread. That is if it is not to large of a hole.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I have Ride On in the tires of my Valkyrie. I had the tires installed and asked not to have them balanced so I could test the Ride on. There is no vibration noticeable up to 110 mph. from the tires. I guess that it does OK as a balancer. I don't know of any punctures yet.
Don't feel bad about your Metzelers either. I still think they are excellent tires and have no reason to think otherwise except they are not American made.
Ride safe and enjoy.
Bronson

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
First Ive heard of this product....sounds like this florescent green stuff I used to put in my Kblazer....I see the intent, but.....

that it will not seal a side wall hole
If you have a hole in your sidewall, then you need to replace the tire or go tube....I actually miss the days of tubes...easier to fix than this tubeless trash in the long run...

·
Registered
738 Posts
To start with, I just got my new Metzler ME880 Marathon tires in. Front 110/90H-19/TL and rear 170/80HB -15. Now I read on the Forum that they are not that great anymore....... Oh well, I got'em so I'm gonna use'em!
Metzeler had some production issues in their Brazil based operation a number of years ago. The issues were resolved some time ago. Haven't heard of any issues since. They are great, so enjoy!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
While I was walking through the TourExpo vendor booths at Americade the other week I overheard someone ask the rep at the Stop N' Go booth about tire sealants. The rep said that a sealant can make a puncture hard to find for a proper repair. I hadn't thought of that potential problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
While I was walking through the TourExpo vendor booths at Americade the other week I overheard someone ask the rep at the Stop N' Go booth about tire sealants. The rep said that a sealant can make a puncture hard to find for a proper repair. I hadn't thought of that potential problem.
And by "proper repair" I'm guessing they meant using their product...
I have to ask can you still call it a "puncture" if it's sealed?

Former Vulcaneer New Orleans Mike ( now a fellow FJR owner ) reported once that he took the wheel off his Gold Wing to get a new tire put on it. After they removed the old worn out rubber, they showed him that the tire had two nails in it. The Ride On had successfully sealed the punctures and Mike said he never had any leaks in the tire.

It's always a good idea to inspect your tire periodically. But if you had a tiny puncture and the sealant did it's job.... And your not leaking air from it, exactly what would be the "proper repair" at this point?

When I travel I still carry a "sticky string" type tire plug kit and one of those tiny 12 volt air pumps....as even Ride On is not fool proof. But I feel alot better knowing it's in there.....

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I picked up a shingle nail in my rear tire about a month ago and spotted it while I was removing the licence plate mount and illumination lamp.

I had bought a Stop&Go mushroom headed plug kit from the local Honda/Suzi dealer a few weeks previous and this was my first chance to use it. The tire was still inflated to 30+ psi (I checked with a gauge) when I pulled the nail out. It naturally started hissing air out when the nail was pulled, so I worked as fast as possible while plugging it. I couldn`t push the rasp in to clean the hole, so skipped that step because it is not a steel belted radial and I didn`t think there was anything else in the hole but the nail anyway.

Pushing the plug tool nozzle into the puncture took every bit of strength this 300 lb trucker/biker had, but I did the repair start to finish in under 10 minutes and lost less than 5 psi of air in the process. I have been checking the tire pressure every few days and it hasn`t dropped a single pound.

RideOn will be going into my new front tire, which will be needed soon.
Probably going to darkside the rear tire when the one on there now is worn out. Not sure if I will put the tire sealant in the car tire or not???

I will continue to carry the mushroom tire plugger with me though. :smiley_th
Still need to install a quick connect plug to the battery for a charger and to run accessories like a 12 Volt air pump when away from home. :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got a couple of bottles today and will put on new tires tomorrow. I did not buy wheel weights and will test the claim of it balancing the tire also.

·
MrSkydriver
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have only changed the front tire so far and used only Ride-On, not balanced with weights. It works just fine, no vibration nor bouncing. Visual inspection while riding looks good too (don't try this at home :)). As far as punctures, it would have saved me a tire on my Ninja because I rolled the bike with the nail in it and it punctured the side wall. I guess I could have put a tube in but elected to get a new tire. I have not decided whether to use only Ride-On for the larger rear tire yet but it uses much more Ride-On for the larger tire so I'll probably not have it weighted.

Ride-On,
Gregg

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Ride on will not protect from a side wall puncture. Buldog had 2 different nails that it did not seal. Ride on only covers abotu 3 intches of the tire right on the center line. anywhere else it did not work.
I had it in my tires and did nto have to test the sealability but it did make a smooth balance for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well I got the tires on and the ride on put in. I don't feel any shuddering at speeds up to 75mph. I didn't use enough though, I got oversized tires and 2 bottles of ride on. According to the bottle and my tape measure, I need to add about 2 more ounces to the front and 6 or so to the back.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Not sure what the tape measure was for.. X

But you need to have the reccomended amount in each tire or the stuff may not do it's intended job....

Edit... Guessing you only bought one bottle. Seems they changed their website and their marketing a bit.
They used to sell a "motorcycle kit" which contained two bottles of Ride On , two filler tubes with valve removal tools, and a sheet of instructions that included a table listing tire sizes with amounts needed for each size.

Still to be found here:
http://www.ride-on.com/pdf/Motorcycle_Kit.pdf

And just to be clear, the motorcycle formula is diffrent than the one they sell for cars and trucks. Make sure you buy the "Motorcycle" formula.

Two bottles should be enough for the Vulcan with stock tire sizes. Check the chart but I think it's enough for those with wider tires too.. X

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Have any of you had a shop bitch about it being a mess when they go to replace a tire that you've used Ride-On in? I recall one time having to use fix-a-flat stuff on my car, and when I got the tire replaced they actually voiced their annoyance at the mess it makes.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts