Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing the Vulcan Verses and earlier threads on the subject, I still couldn't find the answers to a few questions on this stuff....

Is this sealant install procedure pretty easy, or a major pain?

Where is the best place (if any) to order this sealant from (besides Ebay, or the manufacturer)?

Also: I gather using this stuff is a do-it-yourself project, after a new set of tires is installed....so, does "Ride On" supply the necessary tool(s) to properly use this sealant? If not, what (else) do you folks recommend???.....:confused:

Thanks....

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
After reviewing the Vulcan Verses and earlier threads on the subject, I still couldn't find the answers to a few questions on this stuff....
Is this sealant install procedure pretty easy, or a major pain?
IMHO, it is easy to install.
  • Park bike, put it on the centerstand (or sidestand if you are doing a Classic).
  • Remove valve stem cap. Use included valve stem removal tool and remove valve stem. Let air empty from tire.
  • Shake the hell out of the Ride-on (following the directions for how much to use) and cut nipple off of tube and use clear tube to attach tube of Ride-On to the valve stem and start squeezing the tube of goo into the tire. Make sure you use all you are directed to. For my Nomad, it's a 8oz tube per tire. For the VN750, a 8oz for the rear and 75% of a 8oz tube for the front.
  • Reinstall valve stem and reinflate tire on bike.
  • Repeat for the other tire.
  • Ride the bike to spread out the Ride-On. First mile or two might be "shaky" but after that it evens out. On my Nomad, I didn't even notice any imbalance. On the VN750, if felt out of balance for about 2 blocks then spread out.
  • Done...
Where is the best place (if any) to order this sealant from (besides Ebay, or the manufacturer)?
I brought mine from Ebay but the website for the manufacturer is also good. I'm trying to get a local dealer to carry it. They all carry Slime but hate it. Trying to get them to order quality sometimes is hard as they feel that if they cannot order it from Tucker Rocky, they don't want it...

Also: I gather using this stuff is a do-it-yourself project, after a new set of tires is installed....so, does "Ride On" supply the necessary tool(s) to properly use this sealant? If not, what (else) do you folks recommend???.....:confused:
Thanks....
The kit will include the Ride-On, a clear tube and a valve stem removal tool. You need to supply the labor and the air. I recommend a compressor as it's a real bitch to get your mouth into the space to blow the tire back up... :D

·
Super Moderator
11,866 Posts
yep, easy as pie. Took all of 15 minutes to do both tires. (I have a cheap air compressor from Wal-mart..most of the time was refilling the tires with air..

I ordered it direct from their website, got in in 2 days.

I will never own a bike without using this stuff in the tires.

But..As much as I trust the Ride On..
It is still a good idea to buy one of those "sticky string" puncture repair kits to have with you on the bike if you take a long trip.
Stay away from Slime...but, they do make a nice portable tire inflator to take along too........
http://tinyurl.com/2r7jvy

KM

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Just wondering, do you guys have angled valve stems on your rear tires? I have a compressor but it won't go on with a straight (metal) stem. I'll get the angled at the next tire change but looks like there's about 50% tread left.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
No angled stem on mine. My compressor came with a inflator that is real similar to http://tinyurl.com/yveosl (mine's a husky and has a slightly different end) that works well and shows an approximation of tire pressure. I can also attest that the really simple tire chucks (the one's that are about an inch long) will usually work on the rear tire. Best bet is to go to a store and take a look at what inflators they have - buy the one that looks like it'll work, return it if it doesn't (A reason ya always buy from stores with good return policies).

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Just wondering, do you guys have angled valve stems on your rear tires? I have a compressor but it won't go on with a straight (metal) stem. I'll get the angled at the next tire change but looks like there's about 50% tread left.
I had a angle tire stem put on the VN750 years ago and have always wondered why it is not stock on the rear tire.

With a compressor in your garage, you can buy the little air nozzle to get into the OEM fitting but if you are on the road, most gas station chucks will not fit into the small space on the VN750 rear tire.

Is this tidbit in the Vulcan Verses??? YOU MUST CHANGE THE REAR VALVE STEM TO A 90 DEGREE STEM

Someone also sells a valve stem adapter that you can screw on the OEM to give you the 90 degree option, but you cannot leave this on. It is only to be used when filling up the tire. http://www.calmoto.com/SHOP/71111239258.html#

This would let you run with your current stem until you want to pay to have the real 90 degree stem put on at the time of your next tire change.

·
San Diego Vulcan Rider
163 Posts
Thanks for the info on stems and the ride-on. Good stuff!

·
Registered
140 Posts
thanks , theauhawk for the reminder. was going to get some but slipped my mind. should have it by monday and be ready for the real "riding season" like 60 on up miles from home. the best surprise, is no surprise. ride safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts