Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put Ride-On tire sealant in my Nomad today. A bit of insurance for the trip to Kentucky Lake in August... Installation (can it be called an instal?) went easy. Just let the old stale air out of the tire, removed the tire valve stem with a supplied tool, attached a hose to the valve and dumped in the bottle, reinstalled valve stem and put new air (regular air, not the new synthetic stuff) in to the recommend PSI and repeated the procedure for the other tire. For the Nomad, I used a bottle each tire. When Chad did this to his tires on his VN750, he used 7/8's of a bottle for the front and a whole bottle for the rear.

Then came the initial ride to spread the stuff around. Chad claimed on his VN750, it rode rough and shook for the first mile or two. On the Nomad, being a 830 lb bike, I didn't experience this much. A little rough for the first block or two but smoother after that. After 5 miles it was just as before and after 20 miles, it was like riding on glass. I believe that after adding Ride-On, my tires are better balanced then before (which is a claim by the company).

I chose Ride-On over the other tire sealants (like Slime) due to recommendations by friends, motorcycle mag's and the company website. The claimed benifets are as follows.

1) Seals punctures instantly as you ride. (the hole will be sealed within a few rotations of the tire)

2) Automatically BALANCES your tires to ZERO balance. (saves you money and improves handling)

3) Special corrosion inhibitors prevent tire dry rot that leads to small slow leaks.

4) Extends tire life by 25% or MORE. (change your tires less often, saving you hundreds of $$$)

5) Helps your tires run cooler. (extending tire life and wear)

6) Seals punctures with fibers that are SIX TIMES STRONGER THAN STEEL.

7) Washes out simply with water. Environmentally SAFE !!

8) Maintains proper inflation in your tires.

9) Prevents RUST on your steel or aluminum rims.

10) Remains effective to MINUS - 40 degrees below zero and +250 degrees above zero Fahrenheit.

I look forward to seeing if this product really extends the life of my tires. So far, I'm glad I did this insurance policy. If it prevents a roadside problem during KY Lake, then it has paid for itself...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I also put it in, as he said above.
I would recomend it, I got it on Ebay cheeper than ordering through the company.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
We put Ride-on in all our motorcycle tires.
Coming back from North Carolina once with a sidecar badly out of alignment I swear I rode in on just the Ride-on since I had so much cord showing on my front and sidecar tire.
My tire guy said he figured a rock or another 10-15 miles and I would have had a blow-out.
(Ok, picture me going down I-40 trying to fly the chair so I can keep the wheel off the pavement.. )
Ride-on.. Your tires best friend!

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
I have an 04, put Ride On in them over two years ago. The tires do seem to ride a lot better with Ride On in them. With luck so far the product has not had to do its job yet as for sealing the tire with a pucture. At least I have not seen anything in my tires yet.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ride-On is like insurance. You need it but hope to never have to USE it...

·
Registered
659 Posts

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
659 Posts
That is for the cars, which I might buy 2 kits for. But it is not for the motorcycles. The motorcycles take a different formula.

Well crap. I told my riding buddy that I had enough for both of our bikes. I guess I have a set for the car now. That's two of these :doh: :doh: this week!

What do you suppose the real difference is? I figured it was probably just packaged differently.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
from Kawgirl (the other Di over on the VN750 yahoo group..)
I just finished talking to Andrew at Ride-On. He says the formulation for motorcycles is slightly different. He also said not much would happen if the car formula was used. The difficulty would be installing it because the tips are different for cars and bikes. He figures we could get figure out how to install it no matter which formula we used. Of course, he highly recommends we use the motorcycle formula. He also gave me a coupon code. If you type LEGACY in the coupon area you will get 10% off. If you have any trouble with the coupon call Andrew at 1-888-3-Ride-On (1-888-374-3366).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I already had a problem with my rear tire on a trip last year. I guess this is something I need to get. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ride On Tire Sealant

hi all i just ordered the the sale package of 4 10 oz.tubes listed for small and medium car tires for $ 19.95 plus $8.14 shp..of course i plan on using it in my vulcan.there is talk here about it being a slightly different formula than what is used for motorcycle tires. well if that is true how come the material safety sheets lists only one chemical composition for their product ? wouldn't you agree a tire is a tire? the way i calculated with 40 ozs. there is enough to treat 3 sets of std. size vn 750 tires. comments?? ken in penfield ny i just hope i can get the stuff in my tires ! ps to joem thx for the sale notice!

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
I'm about ready to install ride on in stock tires. Does anyone concure that the amount I gleaned from ride on's paper is 8 (rear-M150/90-15) and 5 (front-M100/90-19)oz ???

Thanks...

·
Registered
47 Posts
hiker; that is the correct amount of '' ride on '' per stock tire. but i read on '' flat free'' tire sealant that they suggest adding an additional ounce per tire if the tires are not brand new. there product is basically the same as ride on. i have ordered ride on and plan on adding it to my tires too. post your opinion on the product . good luck ken in penfield ny

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I believe one more plus is that you won't get [email protected] slapped by the next guy who changes your tires!!! Like you would if you used the Slime! ;)

·
Premium Member
303 Posts

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
hiker; that is the correct amount of '' ride on '' per stock tire. but i read on '' flat free'' tire sealant that they suggest adding an additional ounce per tire if the tires are not brand new. there product is basically the same as ride on. i have ordered ride on and plan on adding it to my tires too. post your opinion on the product . good luck ken in penfield ny
Yea, I was gonna do that because I figure, as thick as that stuff looks, another oz would make up for whatever sticks to the bottle.

Thanks...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just yesterday I put the ones I ordered earlier in the car. We are getting ready to leave on Wed for a two week vacation to WY and MT. Boy, the first few miles were really rough until it get's evenly distributed. I would say to be really careful on that first ride after putting it in the bike tires.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Found a good price on Ebay.. 19.99 + 7.70 sh and that is for two 8 oz bottles!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TWO-8-oz-Bottles-Ride-On-No-Flats-Motorcycle-Tire-Tires_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35601QQihZ013QQitemZ230148484869QQtcZphoto

That is a buy it now price and with 23 available!

Off to spend $$$ :smiley_th
I've purchased from these guys before and had a totally positive experience both in price and shipping...

BUT I'M PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! :mad:

When I added the Ride On a few weeks ago, I didn't really examine my rear tire on the Nad and it is pretty worn... While doing in inspection over the weekend, I discovered that it is pretty bald with about 1mm of tread left. Not enough to comfortably make the Gathering with the potential for weather, so I'm tire shopping. Going for a set of Metzeler ME880's, both front and rear to be installed this week. And now I will need to do another Ride On installation... Damn!!! So, I ordered a new kit from the company above as they had the best price I could find and they were a positive experience.

But I'm still kicking myself for not noticing the tread (or lack of it) on the rear tire while I was down there last time...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts