Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here used ride on tire sealant? does it cause any ill effects to the alum wheel? would you recomend using it?

I figure its best to ask before jumping in to something new

Stan

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I will only use Ride-On in my tires and my tire guy thanks me for it too. It does not leave the residue goop that Slime does and does a great job of sealing those machine screw holes etc.
Use it, you won't be sorry. You only have two wheels, best to give those tires every oppurtunity they can get to stay healthy and inflated.

·
Geek
872 Posts
Never heard of Ride-On. Whats it do ?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a sealant that comes in a bottle. you deflate your tires, remove the valve core, squeeze in the appropriate amount of ride-on sealant, replace the core and inflate(do I have that right Dianna?)

then it will seal around any nails or screws you may pick up

Stan

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read about Ride-on a few years back but decided against it because of the bad press on other similar products. Recently, I found its web site and decided to try it. I put it in both tires and it worked fine; felt nothing odd and it does seem the bike rides smoother. HOWEVER, I got to find out how it feels to have the rear wheel go flat as that happened on my second ride with Ride-on. Dummy me had not tightened the air valve when I put it back in and it worked loose. I think the Ride-on kept me stable because it did clog up the valve. I tightened it again, was glad it hadn't come out all the way, added some air and drove away. So the Ride-OFF was my fault. It seems that the real question is not "Will it work?" but "Where do I want to fix the flat? On the rode or after I get back? Ken

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Does anyone know how long Ride-On is good for? Slime claims it will work up
to two years from installation.

Put Ride-On in both tires today and it was easier than I expected, too bad it's
not sold throughout the country.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Their website says the shelf life of Ride-On is 5 years.
It also says, for once it's in the tire....
Ride-On (TPS) will always stay in the same condition as originally installed into the tire because the tire is a pressurized sealed container and no evaporation of the liquid can occur.
But I wouldn't think it'd last more than the 5 year shelf life.
And if your tires are lasting more than 5 years, ya got to get out and ride more !!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Five years is more than I expected and much better than Slimes "up to 2 years". Thanks to all who recommended Ride-On here.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
One note about Slime. Tire guys hate it! And it could damage (corrode) your wheel)
Ride-on says.. It lasts the life of the tire
http://www.ride-on.com/prod_mot.asp
In actuality, if you haven't gone through a tire in 2 years you should give them a good going over and check the sidewalls for cracks and weathering.
And like hyper said.. If your tires are lasting more than 5 years, you REALLY need to be riding more!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
With two cycles VN750 "Lena", and KLR650 dual sport I don't put that many
miles on my bikes, so I'm happy with Ride-On's longer lasting product.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts