Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Matt (Glory Rider), Spencer (Fool Am I), and I took the advanced riders course by Ride Like A Pro. It's a police style riding technique that teaches low speed handling of the bike. We all agreed that we benefitted from the course. I certainly gained confidence in such maneuvers as u turns, 360 degrees turns, and obstacle avoidance. Of the three of us, I think Matt did the best. He looked like he'd been doing it a while. Of course, he's also the youngest. I recommend the course to anyone lacking confidence when it comes to low speed handling of the bike. It's all about being safe when riding!:beerchug:

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Today, Matt (Glory Rider), Spencer (Fool Am I), and I took the advanced riders course by Ride Like A Pro. It's a police style riding technique that teaches low speed handling of the bike. We all agreed that we benefitted from the course. I certainly gained confidence in such maneuvers as u turns, 360 degrees turns, and obstacle avoidance. Of the three of us, I think Matt did the best. He looked like he'd been doing it a while. Of course, he's also the youngest. I recommend the course to anyone lacking confidence when it comes to low speed handling of the bike. It's all about being safe when riding!:beerchug:
Good Point !
Great ! ...my bike is down right now, but you illustrated a huge need refreshment in Slow maneuvering technich (sp) (brain fart) which we all could find useful.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
7,970 Posts

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Sounds like fun.

Can you guys do this now? (hope it's not a rerun) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1iq2ExxmNc
That's what we were working on. Our course had all of those elements but not all together and a bit more spread out. 3 guys dropped their bikes but fortunately we didn't.

Dropping a bike while learning was kinda expected and the instructor used the opportunities to teach the proper way to pick a bike back up using a new Harley with full fairings and showed how helpful a highway bar could be when picking up a bike.

Lots of good low speed riding techniques but we'd need to practice to get as good as the cop in the video.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Dropping a bike while learning was kinda expected and the instructor used the opportunities to teach the proper way to pick a bike back up using a new Harley with full fairings ...
Luckily when I dumped mine, I just recently saw the little guy lift the Goldwing on youtube. Right hand on the left grip, back facing the bike, stand up. Easy, even when you have just busted your keester in front of the girl's basketball team.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Luckily when I dumped mine, I just recently saw the little guy lift the Goldwing on youtube. Right hand on the left grip, back facing the bike, stand up. Easy, even when you have just busted your keester in front of the girl's basketball team.
Yep, That's how you do it, If your bike isn't flat on the ground (engine guard) put your rump against the seat facing away from the bike. One hand on the handle bar and the other hand grabbing under the seat. Taking little steps walk backwards allowing your legs push the bike back up.

Without some sort of engine/crash guard and the bike laying flat on the ground you have to do it the hard way and just lift that bike up. After using the 2nd method go find some aspirin or a friend first.

I'm a little more fan of engine guards/crash bars after seeing that demonstration.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Brother Fool....I will never be able to look at you the same way again.....lol.... ;)

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Brother Fool....I will never be able to look at you the same way again.....lol.... ;)
Hey,,, I'm the same guy, but since I'm not 25 anymore using a little smarter way to pick up the bike never hurts, nor the ability to weave tightly down a sidewalk full of beautiful women at the beach.

Did you read how a got GloryRiders bike on the GA Riders thread? Rsavant saw me on it. Now I have 2 bikes to ride.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I didnt see that....cool !.....

nor the ability to weave tightly down a sidewalk full of beautiful women at the beach.
Like the final scene in that "Wild Hogs" movie ?....lolol....the guy screwed up....he shouldda been ridin one handed, and grabbin some "stuff" along the way, lol....

I gotta get to an open parking lot one of these days and "play"....lol...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Yep, That's how you do it, If your bike isn't flat on the ground (engine guard) put your rump against the seat facing away from the bike. One hand on the handle bar and the other hand grabbing under the seat. Taking little steps walk backwards allowing your legs push the bike back up.

Without some sort of engine/crash guard and the bike laying flat on the ground you have to do it the hard way and just lift that bike up. After using the 2nd method go find some aspirin or a friend first.

I'm a little more fan of engine guards/crash bars after seeing that demonstration.
Let me tell ya... these techniques do NOT work when your bike has been dropped on a loose dirt road u_u the bike just keeps sliding. It sucks!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
okay...she's a redhead, so must be superhuman already....all gingers are....
and she warns agains old farts like me tryin it (no wonder I couldnt walk for 3 weeks)....but....

...mine always falls down on the kickstand side though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YfDGKA4Og

·
Registered
856 Posts
There's a ton of ton of the "Ride Like a Pro" video snipits all over YouTube where they go over many of the skills that I imagine are part of the program. Just watching the videos on there I was able to pick up on a lot and apply to riding.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ride like a pro was a fantastic course and I too recommend it to everybody old riders new riders and riders who think they know how to ride.

kenny

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where did you take the course?

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
But....when the "pro" has less than 10 yrs riding time than you (30), how are they "pros" ? ....its bullsheit for the lazy....

...its all yuppie crap to take yer money.....road time is the best teacher....fook these classes.....we didnt have em back then, didnt need em....ya learned from mistakes and at worst a lil roadrash.....its all yuppie BS....same as the clowns that take driving lessons....what a farce and waste of money.....

If ya need lessons....stay the fook home....offa bike and even car.....most idiots can drive a car....nowadays though, they teach on automatics....WTF ?

Anyone who can drive a standard trans car, and can ride a bicycle (ballance), can ride a bike....these classes are for idiots....Ive said that before and I'll say it again.....if you need lessons for a motorcycle, yet can balance on a bicycle and drive a car....only a moron would go for classes....waste of money....spend it on gas.....

In my personal opinion...its stupid stuff like this that gets people on the road on a bike when they got no business being there.....

Some "got it", some "never will"....but these "classes" make those who shouldnt be on a bike, think they can be.....pure bullsheit.....thats gets people hurt or killed.....

I stand by my every statement....ban me if ya want....but these classes give a rider a "false sense", which gets them into the sheit.....thats why 90% of motorcycle deaths are new riders , less than 1 year....

These yuppie azzholes started this stuff when biking got popular....all they want is your money.....you will die being trained by them.....

The BEST training, is to ride with a seasoned rider, and have him teach you....

Dont succumb to these scumbags....they only want yer money....they dont know squat either....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
BS for the lazy or instead is it to help a rider learn to be the best he can be? I believe in trying to keep learning in life; especially on a bike since you can end up dead on one so fast.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
But what can ya learn from some 20 something yr old punk that rides sportbikes ?.....thats what most of these so called instructors are.....

If I was a new rider, Id hook up with some old timers who have actually SEEN it all, not just theory, and hang/ride with them....I wont change my mind on that either.....

My former landlady moved up from Manhattan (where nobody drives)....she took lessons from an acreddited school.....in 6 mos she took down my fence (her fence), and hit the building 8 times.......

Schools are only as good as the teachers......and the only good bike teacher is experience and the road.....I defy anyone to disprove me....

I was 10.....got on a Honda CB70.....stalled out 4x.....then, my older and more experienced friend showed me.....
After that, I followed him on my Rupp minibike, watched what he did ....learned.....after awhile, he was learnin from me....

Theory is fine...as a basic....but nothing can replace practical, on the road experience.....

I like the way the UK has their bike stuff....you can only ride up to a certain engine size until you gain experience....

For those who like to research....check the stats for new bikers in the UK, and in the US....fatality or injury wise....I bet the UKs are a lot lower for a rider in their first year.....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Instructor was in his mid 40s. The 1st question he asked was were there any newer riders there. After we all said no he explained the course wasn't for inexperienced riders, only for experienced riders who wanted to become better riders.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
In the service they made us take all the MFS Courses once a year... When I took my BRC, the instructor was a 22 year old female who had been riding for 2 years. I had been ridning since I was 6(?) needless to say, I didn't learn much from that class, except that new riders were fun to watch doing the the parking lot maneuvers... (Wish I had a video camera or all the crashes)

When I took my ARC a year later, I had a 60 year old guy tht looked like he would have fit better on a HOG than on the little 250 rebel... The guy took out his book and started to read some stuff from the lesson plan, then about half way through his first paragraph he said F_This S#!t and tossed the book down, and took us out on the road... we stopped at a few turnouts as he would explain what we were supposed to practice as we rode... I ended up learning a lot on that ride...

And to think that day I got payed for riding 120 miles on my bike... if I would have had to pay for it.. I probably wouldn't have done it.. and never will do it... in 2016 Oregon is going to require any one under the age of 65 to take the Team Oregon Motorcycle Safety Coarse to keep thier M License... Thank god I have these other two coarses recorded because they count 2 points higher than the Team Oregon coarse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've really been wanting to take a class like this. I learned so much from the MSF BasicRider Course. Though I already knew how to ride and had my own bike by the time I took it, I had NO idea whatsoever about proper form or slow riding skills. I took the class at the advice of my grandfather (a former HOG head safety officer and Road Captain.) He took several advanced police-style riding courses and found the skills he gained to be nearly priceless. Yes, experience is the best teacher. But I always jump at the chance to learn from the experience of others.

For those who aren't familiar with the MSF classes, there is a small classroom element, but the majority of the time is spent in the saddle, actually practicing riding skills.

My good friend that rides a GS850 has ridden for several years, but has not taken any type of formal instruction. I'm trying to convince him to take at least the BRC because he is --self-admittedly-- shaky when it comes to slow, tight maneuvers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts