Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As part of my quest for more visibility, I purchased and installed Electrical Connections' turn signal conversion kit. They sell it at this site for about $50.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/other-lighting/tsk-star&sport.htm

THE VERDICT: NOT RECOMMENDED.

This kit adds a ring of red LEDS on the inside of your rear turn signal lenses. For running and brake lights the LEDS shine red through the amber lens. Your regular bulb does the turn signals. From the pix on their site, I expected a somewhat solid red light. Instead, you see a distinct, thin red ring that's only 1.5 inches wide (half the diameter of the lens). There's no scattering to make the rest of the lens light up.

It did increase my visibility somewhat, since the rear turn signals are running lights now. However, they're NOT very bright, and not very eye-catching when the brakes are applied. They were also a pain to install, so much so that I posted a how-to on this forum, to share some tricks to make it easier.

There are better, brighter ways to light up your ride that cost the same or a little more than this one. Easier installation most likely too.

I recommend instead: Hyperlite brake lights.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

I was disappointed with the EC conversion kit, and very impressed with my wife's Hyperlites... so I just added a set to my Vulcan to get the job done right. Hyperlites are impossible to ignore, easy to install, and so tiny they hide beside the license plate. You have your choice of flash patterns or none. I use the 5-second flash going to steady. If I'm stopped and worried about someone approaching from behind, I can reapply the brake for some psychotic LOOK AT ME flashing, which then settles down to not annoy those behind me.

Installation? Thirty minutes. Tools needed? A wire stripper, or your knife if you're careful.

UPDATE: I shot some video showing these in action on my Vulcan. Youtube resized it and the titles are a bit fuzzy, but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGWfVu4wWmQ

Your mileage may vary, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good luck with your own lighting upgrades, and ride safe! :motorcycl

-Tiki

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
i have the "Electrical Connections" turn signal conversion kit on my bike. but i have clear lenses, and amber turn signal bulbs. granted there not that bright during the day, but at night, Ive had other riders and cagers say they help get me noticed, and when the brakes are applied, (with my back off brake flasher) my tail light and running lights flash opposite of each other, and really grab your attention. so I'm really happy with the kit.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
In my state, as in most probably, you cannot use amber running lights in the rear like you can in the front, but there is no law that says rear turn signals have to be amber. You can use red turn signals. Both my car and truck use red rear turn signals, as they were built long before there was such a thing as amber turn signals.

All you need to do is put red turn signals on the back, and then you can use them as both auxiliary tail lights and turn signals. That's what Harley does. I may do this at some point. I already have a brake light modulator. Jerry.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Great write-up, Tiki Mon. I was thinking of getting the electrical connection conversion kit, but the install looked ridiculous and I wasn't sure of the brightness, etc.

Thanks!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I really like those Hyperlights, especially the white modulated one for the front. I can`t decide which rear set-up I like best, but the 3 way run/turn/brake has my interest.

Thanks for the link and review. I don`t know about loud pipes, but bright flashy lights save lives!!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Great write-up, Tiki Mon. I was thinking of getting the electrical connection conversion kit, but the install looked ridiculous and I wasn't sure of the brightness, etc.

Thanks!
I purchased the kit..received it and said WTF? Tossed it in the trash...40$ out the door...such is life.

·
Adventuregeek
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We both have the 8-LED kits. Her 8-kit was so bright, I didn't see the need for 16s when I added them to mine. They would sure be blazing though!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I really like the idea behind the EC Turn Signal Conversion. I think that having running lights on the ends of the turn signals helps to give your bike more "substance", so it's a little easier for others to see how wide it is. When I see a single head or taillight, I have to take a moment to figure out whether it's a bike or a car with a bulb out. Even if they're not the best lights ever, two smaller lights around your taillight should help to point out that it's a bike.

I know I could add Hyperlites or switch to red signals and run them as running lights too, but I have a pet peeve with using a single bulb for running/brake/signal lights (GM still does this on a lot of their cars). I really think it's much better to have a separate amber light for the turn signal. I was pretty close to ordering a set of Hyperlites and a plate bracket, but I don't like the way they're even closer to the ground.

I'm thinking I might use Dynamic Clusters to get the same effect as the turn signal conversion kit, but hopefully with better results. Go to http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_led_bulbs.htm#Genesis_LED_Clusters_ and scroll down a bit. The GEN200-AR-1156 would plug into our standard rear signal socket and includes wire pigtails to hook the red running/brake LEDs into the taillight. The red LEDs should shine through the stock lens (like the EC kit, but hopefully better due to brighter LEDs), or you can switch to clear lenses for even better results (since the LEDs themselves are amber and red).

I'd prefer having amber LEDs throughout the array so it's a full circle instead of just a ring, but I realize there's only so much you can do with a small area like that. Just looking at them, that's about the only downside I see.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey InvisiBill, I don`t think those Dynamic Clusters will fit in the vn750 signal housing.
They are 2" diameter, and the housing will only accept 1.8" according to my measurements.

I was looking at the New Moon Shinez LED Driving/Turn Signal lights on that link just the other day though, and am seriously considering installing a pair of those on my 750. It is a bit pricey though, at ~$74 for a pair of lights and either clear or smoked lenses.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Radiantz 1.85" Dual Intensity LED Clusters fit perfectly in our turn signals. I used them to upgrade/convert my turn signals (amber cluster), brake/running (used 3 red clusters) and even build a second brake like (used 2 red clusters) and mounted it on the sissy bar. Radiantz were the brightest LED clusters at that time I did my mod (about 2+ years ago). Radiantz cluster retail for $24/piece, but they appear on eBay from time to time for about $3-$5 + shipping. For more details see this thread. I used the original incandescent bulb base to fashion the connectors. Here's a picture of the one I made for the license plate LED.

·
Senior Lurker
509 Posts
Fantastic write up Tiki Mon and awesome YouTube video! Many thanks.

-Sloppy

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
I have the Dynamic Clusters in mine and I absolutely LOVE them. VERY bright. As far as the diameter, Ol Hoss is right but it's very easy to modify. I just took one of my roto-tools with a sanding tip on it and gently trimmed them down to where they'd fit. No issues at all.
I also purchased the liscense plate frame with a red LED row on top and bottom with the amber rows on the left and right side.
Lastly I got some LED's to replace the two in the brake light housing and voila!
So now I've got the stock running light (w/LED), the LED running lights in the turn signal housings, and the top/bottom LEDs of the plate frame. Plus the side amber LEDs on the frame are additional turn signals.
Plus I got some front LED's for the front running lights/turn signals.
I am quite content with the arrangement.
My next bike purchase will be running light/turn signal rearview mirros.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey InvisiBill, I don`t think those Dynamic Clusters will fit in the vn750 signal housing.
They are 2" diameter, and the housing will only accept 1.8" according to my measurements.

I was looking at the New Moon Shinez LED Driving/Turn Signal lights on that link just the other day though, and am seriously considering installing a pair of those on my 750. It is a bit pricey though, at ~$74 for a pair of lights and either clear or smoked lenses.
Yeah, I saw your link in baldy's thread and got looking at the site again. They've got a lot of LED products that I think look pretty good, but that cart gets expensive quickly. I figure I should probably take the bike out for a second ride before I dump too much money into light bulbs for it. =)

I have the Dynamic Clusters in mine and I absolutely LOVE them. VERY bright. As far as the diameter, Ol Hoss is right but it's very easy to modify. I just took one of my roto-tools with a sanding tip on it and gently trimmed them down to where they'd fit. No issues at all.
That's the one thing I hadn't checked yet. I had seen 1.8" mentioned, but wasn't sure about the 2" and hadn't been out to measure yet. cglennon mentioned the 1.85" Radiantz fitting, which means you'd only have to take off .075" all the way around (.15" total diameter removed). I'm really glad to hear they can be made to fit pretty easily and that you're so happy with them, as I really want to go with a setup like this.

Any chance of getting some pics or video (like Tiki and cglennon did) with the Dynamic Clusters? It'd be cool to see them in action. When I get mine, I'm hoping to be able to do a comparison with one side stock and one side converted, to help give others an idea of how it really looks. I have the Clear Alternatives LED tail on the way also, so I can add that into the comparison as well.

·
Registered
738 Posts
cglennon mentioned the 1.85" Radiantz fitting, which means you'd only have to take off .075" all the way around (.15" total diameter removed).
Actually, you do NOT have to shave .075" all the way around. You only have to notch two sides to accommodate the screw posts in the lens housing. The rest of the 2" cluster can be left intact, it will fit. I don't know if notching these clusters is possible without damaging the circuit, but the 2" cluster has the same number of LEDs as the 1.85", which fit perfectly. Let us know if you try the 2" version and what mod was needed to make it work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
If I wanted running lights in the rear I would just go the inexpensive way and buy a set of front 3 wire marker lights and just tie into the hot wire for the running lights in the brake light housing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If I wanted running lights in the rear I would just go the inexpensive way and buy a set of front 3 wire marker lights and just tie into the hot wire for the running lights in the brake light housing.
The problem with this is that they're amber by default. In most places they need to be red to be legal, and I have a pet peeve with using red taillights as blinkers also (see above).

But yeah, using fronts on the rear, wired up to the taillight, with different bulbs/lenses, is definitely an easier/cheaper way to accomplish almost the same thing.

I also like the fact that LEDs should draw less power as running lights too. Not that I'd expect a huge difference, just as a "while you're in there" improvement. LEDs are also less likely burn out, meaning more reliability and lower maintenance costs (though the extra costs of LED might never end up evening out compared to replacement bulb costs).

·
Registered
796 Posts
Here in Maine they don't necessarily have to be red if they are markers. They can be amber just like the front markers. If someone wanted to do as I suggested they can go to a mc inspection station and what the law is.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts