Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2000 VN750 last week, the PO had done the ear-shave procedure, and told me he'd had the carbs professionally cleaned. He gave me the original factory parts, and I wanted to return to stock, since I'll be riding in all weather, and didn't want the air filters exposed at all... He hadn't removed the surge tank, so I just reconnected the intake hoses to the carbs, and put the factory ears back on. I added new K&N air filters too. Everything seems to be running okay, but not smooth... there's some hesitation at higher RPMs. it dawned on me, and he confirmed that he had the carbs re-jetted with new needles when he did the original ear-shave.

What do I need to do to reverse that procedure and get everything balanced back to stock?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
I would guess you need to return the bike to stock jetting.

But first I'd remove the diaphragms and see if there are washers under the needles. You might just have to remove those, and this can be done without removing the carbs I believe.
Also check that your carb vent lines are plugged into the back of the right ear.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
When I bought my 2000 VN750 last week, the PO had done the ear-shave procedure, and told me he'd had the carbs professionally cleaned. He gave me the original factory parts, and I wanted to return to stock, since I'll be riding in all weather, and didn't want the air filters exposed at all... He hadn't removed the surge tank, so I just reconnected the intake hoses to the carbs, and put the factory ears back on. I added new K&N air filters too. Everything seems to be running okay, but not smooth... there's some hesitation at higher RPMs. it dawned on me, and he confirmed that he had the carbs re-jetted with new needles when he did the original ear-shave.

What do I need to do to reverse that procedure and get everything balanced back to stock?

Thanks!
I've been riding in torrential rains this summer with the ear shave without any problems whatsoever. If the original exhaust is on there then go back to the stock jets. I can't see a reason to force more gas in than what the stock jets do. My bike hauls butt.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Knifemaker, I'm not sure if the vent lines are plugged in there... I'll check that...

GoofyFoot - The exhaust isn't stock... here's some pics so you can see what it looks like...

So, you're saying it might be better to go back to the ear-shave, and you haven't had any issues with water getting sucked into the engine?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, that's my motto too! It wasn't running well at all with the earshave... after I put the stock ears back, and everything, it's running a lot better, but just noticing some hesitation at higher speeds when I've been riding it over the past few days... I've put a little over 100 miles on it since doing the work. It could be the spark plugs I suppose, hopefully new ones arrive today, and I can pop 'em in...

Here's some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157637914572023/

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
you mentioned on your other thread that the clutch might be giving you isues in first gear.....is it really a hesitation at high speeds or could the clutch be slipping?

Also make sure the carb vent hose is tucked away out of the wind....this has been known to cause the same sympton. since yours is ear shaved, the vent tubes off the carbs are connected together with a "T" connector and should either be tucked under the tank, tucked into the frame somplace, or have a breather filter on the end. any wind across or into the vent could cause the fuel flow in the carbs to be effected.....causing hesitation or surging.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know why my posts aren't going through... hmmm...

The bike wasn't running at all when I first got it, but after a 24hr battery charge, and it would crank, but didn't run well at all... after I got the factory air system back on, it ran better... I think the spark plugs need to be replaced, which will happen hopefully tonight... I didn't know about the vent hoses, but you're right, they are connected with a T, and then look like they're running into some round metal doohickys under the seat...

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
GloryRider, I shaved my ears last year and love the way the bike runs in all weather now, easier to start too. Still if you are unsure about how you reversed it I may be able to help. I'm about an hour North of you in Maysville.
Spencer

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I am not a fan of the ear shave and would never ear shave mine, however the symptoms you describe should not be attributed to an ear shave alone.

And, it is already shaved.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
I ride in all sorts of bad weather with an earshave and k&n pods and haven't had a weather related issue yet.plus she runs like a raped ape.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
No rain issues with mine, filters are oiled, so.... sheds water like a duck.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
GloryRider, Just a thought here but did you know that many people put a few shime under the needles to help throttle response with the slightly lower vacume after an earshave??? I shimmed my needles when I earshaved. If you left the shime in, especially with jets larger than the 38/138 stock jets you could be running really rich at throttle positions over 1/4 throttle adding to backfire (assuming your bike hasn't been coastered) and rough running at higher throttle positions.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of y'alls replies! I think you may be on to something FoolAmI... It does seem to be running a bit rich. I didn't mess with the carbs at all when I put the ears back on... and now hearing how weather isn't an issue, I'll should probably put some K&N pods on, since the needles were most likely shimmed when the PO got the carbs cleaned and synced. No, it's not coastered...

This past Saturday I changed the spark plugs to NGK's, and it is running a LOT better... no hesitation anymore, and starts right up even with no choke. I put some more oil in, and adjusted the clutch cable, and that seems to have helped the grabbing issues I was having... it still does grab a little in the cold, but not when warmed up...

I rode in to work this frosty (28 degrees) morning, and had to warm her up for about 5 mins before heading out... but everything ran fine on the 24 mile ride...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Oh, and I cleaned her up quite a bit, and removed all the emblems... nice and clean lookin'!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I put some more oil in, and adjusted the clutch cable, and that seems to have helped the grabbing issues I was having... it still does grab a little in the cold, but not when warmed up...

I rode in to work this frosty (28 degrees) morning, and had to warm her up for about 5 mins before heading out... but everything ran fine on the 24 mile ride..
Advice;
It helps with clutch grabbing to work the Clutch lever a couple times prior to rolling out (the driveway).

:smiley_th

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Since ear shaving kind of automatically coasters the bike (no more air box) unless the lines were just left open after the surge tank was removed you may still be coastered, a good thing to minimize backfiring.

These bikes have grabby (coffee grinder) clutches when just starting out (search threads for drilling the clutch basket). Like WilliamTech said working the clutch lever a bit before taking off the first time helps get oil up on the dry clutch plates .

I've got an old set of 38/138 factory jets you can have if you need them although I'd instead suggest getting new jets. Since you're a Georgia boy I M me your address if you want them, no charge since I don't intend to undo my earshave and saved my old jets, that or if the weather warms after this cold front I could ride down and drop them off.

·
Super Moderator
11,966 Posts
GloryRider, Just a thought here but did you know that many people put a few shime under the needles to help throttle response with the slightly lower vacume after an earshave??? I shimmed my needles when I earshaved. If you left the shime in, especially with jets larger than the 38/138 stock jets you could be running really rich at throttle positions over 1/4 throttle adding to backfire (assuming your bike hasn't been coastered) and rough running at higher throttle positions.
I mentioned removing the washers (shims) in post #2...;) (no one reads my posts anymore..:( )

Clutch chatter when cold is a common issue with these bikes, nothing to worry about, but I'd suggest changing the oil and filter on any bike you buy.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Oh, and I cleaned her up quite a bit, and removed all the emblems... nice and clean lookin'!

"And I even like the color." Sultan of Hatay.

Check your vent tube that goes to the right ear. It's been mentioned. It will mess with you.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts