Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone posted a link to a page that described the motorcycle seat reupholstry process.

If you know of one please post here

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah,,,mine needs doing too !. its cracked after i used some leather cleaner on it:(. im wondering if its an expensive job to have done,,i'll try and get some quotes this weekend. oh,and i'll tell em i want rid of them buttons (reservoirs) then no more wet butts. :)

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I googled this do it your self page earlier today. Its awesome.
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

My uncle has an upholstry machine most upholstry leathers are thin enough, to use on a normal machine, after mine is finished ill do yours if you like it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
yeah,,,mine needs doing too !. its cracked after i used some leather cleaner on it:(. im wondering if its an expensive job to have done,,i'll try and get some quotes this weekend. oh,and i'll tell em i want rid of them buttons (reservoirs) then no more wet butts. :)
Hey guys, the vn750 OEM seat is upholstered with marine grade vinyl, not leather.
However I`m not sure what kind of leather cleaner you are using, or what is in it that would crack vinyl. :confused:

Well I googled this do it your self page earlier today. Its awesome.
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/index.php

My uncle has an upholstry machine most upholstry leathers are thin enough, to use on a normal machine, after mine is finished ill do yours if you like it.
Are you talking about a heavy duty sewing machine vs. a home sewing machine, and making a new seat cover out of leather?

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Muy Muy indeed! I need to finish reading the diy page, $60 will get enough leather to make some bags or pockets aswell for the outside of the painting boxes I want to add to the bike. My car failed on me about a month ago so I've put all my resources into, for the most part, sprucing up this bike. Look for new photos in my profile.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey guys, the vn750 OEM seat is upholstered with marine grade vinyl, not leather.
However I`m not sure what kind of leather cleaner you are using, or what is in it that would crack vinyl. :confused:

Are you talking about a heavy duty sewing machine vs. a home sewing machine, and making a new seat cover out of leather?
An upholstery machine, or industrial sewing machine, is heavier duty than most regular sewing machines, in order to handle heavier fabrics used on chairs, etc., and usually has a deeper throat (distance between the needle and the upright part); my dad's got one, as does my sister. (She's got more different sewing machines than some professional shops!) A general use machine will bog down when sewing the heavier stuff. The deeper throat allows for working with large pieces of the heavier fabric, like canvas for a camper top or tent. My sister's (and my dad's) favorite machine is a parachute rigger's machine picked up used at a surplus sale on post when her family was stationed at Ft. Lewis for $500; I swear that thing is 4 feet long if an inch.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts