Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought this bike, my wife rebuilt the carbs and we got the bike started, but the R/R wires were cut and a larger R/R is in it's place, might this be why the battery is draining or discharging ? if anyone has any suggestions please write I could use all the help I can get, thank you.:lockd:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Looks like the PO may have tried to correct an issue with the changeout. I would start by checking all connections for contact viability. Clean all grounds as well. You can get some dielectric grease at local auto box store (Autozone, Advanced, etc.) to help keep connections from getting gunked up once cleaned.

How old and what type is the battery?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The larger R/R is probably a good thing.

0) Test and charge the battery. Check all connections.

1) Run through the electrical tests stickied in the electrical section. You want to do a full work-up of your stator and R/R.

If everything is wired properly, I am betting your stator went south and he didn't feel like repairing it.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
You could go here:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/

...and see if it looks like you have the MOSFET R/R.

If you do have the MOSFET kit, go here:

http://www.roadstercycle.com/Easy Mosfet Install.htm

... check the drawing and see if it's wired correctly. The MOSFET wiring should completely bypass the factory R/R wiring, with the stator wires running directly to the R/R and preferably with no bullet connectors midway up the stator wires. Then the positive and negative straight from the R/R to the battery.

Has the R/R been relocated? And can you post a pic of it? Do you see any numbers similar to these on the R/R ... FH012AA or FH020AA?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx everyone, I will try these in hopes that I can find the problem, I will post a pic of the R/R .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts