Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok im about at my wits end ok so this is my first bike its a 96 vulcan 750 ive pretty much put it together from the ground up with a lot of guess work i want to wire a toggle switch but i am lost when it comes to electrical my buddy has helped me wire my ignifion wires to where i get power and lights but no spark and the starter selenoid just clicks i want a toggle but i have no clue how to wire it up and ive read that i need a 100 ohm resistor but i cant find out where it goes can anyone help me and remember im like a kindergarden kid i need to know what color wires go where on a 3 prong switch and where do i wire the resistor to plz help im about to pour gas on it and walk away ive been working on this bike for months and thats all thats holding me up very aggravating can someone plz help me

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Are you using the original wiring harness? Like, why did your buddy need to help you wire your ignition wires instead of just plugging them in? Do you think the wiring is why you aren't getting spark, and expect the toggle switch to fix it? What wires DO you have? Which toggle switch do you have? Haven't heard anything about a resistor.

There are a couple wiring ideas in this thread: Ignition switch

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
The only resistors I would think would ever need to be added anywhere would be load balancing resistors for LED bulbs using a stock relay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive gotten a new wiring harness and everything is hooked up except the front blinkers ive even wired the whole igniting wiring into one big wad got spark for a few turns then no spark again so far ive put new battery new spark plugs and wires new hoses new carbs new tail light new throttle cable new thermostat new wiring harness the 100 ohm resister is a security thing that is located on the bottom side of the ignition switch but mine was gone so thats another thing i gotta order was just going to wire up a toggle switch for now so i can ride but i just cant seem to get past this dang starting prob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plus someone before i got the bike decided to rip the ignition switch wires out of the ignition so i dont have anything to go off of

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
X3 ... First I've heard of a resistor or any electronic security device.

A toggle switch just needs to be wired to power up everything else, but there's quite a few connections in the stock switch.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Bundling everything together at the ignition should have gotten power to everywhere that needs it, so if you're not getting spark, look around the igniter, ignition coils, and pickup coils. If you aren't getting spark on either cylinder, the igniter box is the most likely culprit.

Before replacing the box ($$$), check the wiring, and specifically make sure you have a good path to ground on pin 5 (black/white wire on the six pin connector) of the plug going to the igniter. Multiple faulty switches can make the bike think it is moving with the kickstand down, and it'll kill the spark. Bypassing the kickstand switch is easy to do to verify.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He is 100% correct about their being a resistor in the ignition switch. I have an 09 vn900 and currently have the same problem. The resistor gets wired into the ignition end of the gray wire. I can send u a pic of mine when I opened it up

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
The resistor was wired to the end of the gray wire and then to the spot of solder you see that has no wire ran to it
On your 900 where does the gray wire run to?

The diagram doesn't show a gray wire on the ignition switch for the 750.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok. So I should mention also that I'm no expert and am basically learning as I go currently. My bike was running and my daily ride until 2 weeks ago. How I understand it from what I think I've learned so far is that the grey wire on my bike runts to the ecu. The resistor is a security measure. It's 100 ohms and the purpose of serves is to reduce current flow before going to the ecu. The ecu, if it receives a full 12v from the ignition switch, will not allow the bike to start. It will turn over but not crank. However as long as the ecu receives the current after passing through the resistor it will allow everything to function normally. I believe it has to rcv current from the ignition that is between 6 and 9 volts rather than 12.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oem replacements for the switch all run $150 or so from what I've seen, so I'm currently trying to find a creative diy solution before spending so much on a glorified key holder lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another tidbit...bc this resistor is an anti theft security feature, you will not find any printed material with any mention of it and it's never included in any of the diagrams that I've seen to this point

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Another tidbit...bc this resistor is an anti theft security feature, you will not find any printed material with any mention of it and it's never included in any of the diagrams that I've seen to this point
Yes, I dug up a diagram for the 900 and the gray wire just runs off the side of the page.

A fuel injected bike will have an ecu, but the carbed 750 just has an ignitor box (cdi). Seems like I've seen a lot of rewire projects that could never get spark however.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes, I dug up a diagram for the 900 and the gray wire just runs off the side of the page.

A fuel injected bike will have an ecu, but the carbed 750 just has an ignitor box (cdi). Seems like I've seen a lot of rewire projects that could never get spark however.
We've also had a LOT of people rebuild the puck, and I've never seen a resistor mentioned, or in pictures. The guy I remember adding in toggle switches (can't find the thread now, of course) for sure didn't add a resistor.
Most of the re-wire projects were because they couldn't get spark in the first place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts