Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok while on my way home from work tonight...I knew I was extremly low on gas, she started to spudder so I reached down and switched over to reserve, still spuddeing then stalled. I figured ok its that dang vapor lock again. so as I sat on the shoulder I popped open the gas cap for a minute, then gave some choke and a twist of the throttle hit the switch and she fired, I got 200 feet and stalled again, so it was time for the honey I'm an ass that didn't bring $$ with him to work now I'm out of gas please bring me a gallon phone call. while waiting the 20 minutes for the wife to go 2 miles I tried to restart and still nothing....she brought gas I switched to main tank and fired right up.
NOW MY QUESTION IS THIS....WHERE THE HELL IS MY RESERVE????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
could it possibly be clocked from the rust in the tank?

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
On the petcock, looking at the bike from the left side, twist the knob clockwise. That's reserve. If you go the other way (as per my old Honda), it turns the tank off. That is, unless you have an old bike that has a PRI (primary), then I don't know which way to turn it.

So, if that's what you did, then I'm with you - clogged?

·
Geek
872 Posts
I put 150 miles on one trip before going to reserve.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tankist it started and I went 200 ft then died
Cegodsey clockwise you say...looking at the bike on the petcock, reserve is written on the front of the petcock so I turned it counterclockwise
hmmm sounds to me like maybe I was a dumbass
150 miles on main tank Rnewell? then your bike is running good..I get about 120 miles, but thats back and forth to work driving, so maybe a little more if it was just a str8 ride.

·
Registered
227 Posts
:motorcycl The easiest way to remember it is: push the handle forward to keep going forward.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow, 150 miles? 120 miles? I get 105 max before going to reserve. Hopefully this will improve a bit. The mufflers had the baffles removed before I bought it, and I have just put another set of stock mufflers on that I mentioned in another post. I hope that along with the improved performance that I'll get better mileage too.

Forward to go forward. I like that.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
206 Posts
ah-yuh...shouldah turn'd clockwise.

Mileage before reserve...mine went from 140 to 120 when I put on the bigger windshield.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I look for a station when I hit 100, the bike is a lot easier to ride then push. It would be my luck that I would be running on reserve already when it starts sputtering. :doh:

·
Geek
872 Posts
I normally fill up at around 100. I have got 120 with the wife on the back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I usually get between 135 and 150, depending on how fast I had been going.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I usually fill up around 100 miles but was running low on cash in wallet..didn't want to take any out from the bank (hate doing that)
but now instead of running out I am hanging my head in shame for turning it the wrong way.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
When my guage starts showing really low fuel, I'll reach for the reserve lever a couple times before I need to.
Just to be ready, incase it does start to spudder.

TrashLord said:
I am hanging my head in shame for turning it the wrong way.
Your not the first, and probably not the last.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Heeeheeee....the wrong way...hehehehe. Well, you admitted it to us, so you've completely humiliated that portion of your brain. Serves it right, as I'm sure it won't ever do it again. Bad brain, bad, bad! Down boy!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LMFAO....what took you so long lol

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I spent the day at the in-laws. Mother in law's funeral, er, um, I mean birthday.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i normally fill up around the 120-130 mark. although i have pushed 140 before.

To me it sounds like your reserve may be clogged. Put in some strong sea foam and run the bike for a lil bit to get it flowing into the bowls. then switch to reserve. after it runs for a moment or 2, turn her off and let her sit over night. Then i would drain your bowls to get out all the crud.

i always try to switch to reserve every week or 2 (i run it every day) to keep her cleaned out.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
rnewell said:
I normally fill up at around 100. I have got 120 with the wife on the back.

So I can only guess that this is because she is telling you to slow down?? :smiley_th

1 - 18 of 18 Posts