Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question... Does fresh gas continually flow through the reserve tank? Or is that pocket of gasoline separate from the main tank? I'm wondering if the reserve tank fuel gets stale if its not used from time to time.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm not an expert but it's my understanding that the reserve is just tapped from the lowest part of the tank and the normal tap actually sits higher in the tank. All the same tank. No problem with stale fuel. Again I'm not positive.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Same fuel, Correct just a lower place to get the fuel from.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Yep, just gets pulled from lower down in the tank when you turn to "reserve." Ride over a few bumps or something periodically, Charlie, just to make sure there's a steady upwelling of bottom fuel. ;)

How's the bike running in general? You still happy with it?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Remember, like it's been mentioned here before, it wouldn't hurt to run the tank on reserve once and awhile, to help keep sediment and stuff from building up in the reserve section of the valve.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
How's the bike running in general? You still happy with it?
The bike's been great. I bought it new in 2006 and I've ridden 4,500 miles -- even through the winter here in Cincinnati (except for a stretch of snow/ice/bitter cold in January/Februrary).

I know for a fact that my splines are heavily lubed! Installing my Yuasa MF battery and trying to do my own oil change are the next two mechanical projects on my horizon.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Hyper is right--you really should run the reserve at least once a month or so to keep sediment from collecting in the reserve section of the valve.

I learned this first-hand, recently. Reserve line is clear, now--but earlier, it had some junk in it that was blocking the reserve line. It's not a pleasant experience being in the middle of nowhere and restarting your engine with several starter tries.

Seafoam and running the tank dry (followed with fresh fuel and more seafoam) finally cured the problem.

At your earliest convenience, you should also relocate your r/r as described elsewhere in this forum, and seriously consider adding a voltmeter to your charging system (this gives you an early "heads up" if/when your stator starts to quit--instead of otherwise being ambushed and stranded by this problem). Suggestions on voltmeter options are also given here in the forum....:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Imagine a wine barrel with a spigot about 6 inches from the bottom and another spigot about 1 inch from the bottom, the lower one being your "reserve" spigot.
I don't know really how much crud can settle in a gas tank on a motorcycle that's being ridden often, but if it can, it will effect the reserve more than the other tube.

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Have only ran my bike on reserve twice for only a few miles in the 13 months
since I bought it new. Thought I would run the reserve for a few miles last week and the engine starting running very rough while in Reserve, think my
carbs are now partially plugged and will need a Sea Foam treatment.

Before anyone runs their bike on the Reserve tank (lowest part of the tank) I recommend two good gas line filters. Have been looking through catologs for
in line filters and am not sure what size to get. . 1/4 or 5/16 th's inside diameter ? anyone know ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts