Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....informed responses please. Taken petcock apart twice, replaced rubber gasket in petcock today....COMPLETELY clean, the entire petcock assembly looks perfect, diaphrams, spring, gaskets are all fine/clean, 2 pickup screens; reg. and reserve, are as new, no junk, no dirt ANYWHERE in assembly. Fuel system is fine until switching to reserve, then....no fuel flow at all. bike runs/idles PERFECT...until switching to reserve. I am thinking next thing to do is replace the 3 fuel lines attached to the petcock.....but they look fine, still I will replace them. anybody got facts?? i'm stumped.... vn750 1997, 15,000 miles...almost flawless, superclean, near mint...looks new...impeccable....ok ,there's a little dirt on the tires.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
It can't be a fuel line because if the bike's running ok on "On," then your fuel flow to the carbs is perfect (there are only two fuel lines coming out of the petcock -that third line in the center is your vacuum). Here's a really dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway ('cause we've all done it): when you're switching to reserve, you're turning it CCW (if you were looking at the bike from the left side)? That is, you're moving the switch forward? Failing that, I'd double-check the reserve tube/filter for a blockage going through the switch. ??

·
Registered
311 Posts
It can't be a fuel line because if the bike's running ok on "On," then your fuel flow to the carbs is perfect (there are only two fuel lines coming out of the petcock -that third line in the center is your vacuum). Here's a really dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway ('cause we've all done it): when you're switching to reserve, you're turning it CCW (if you were looking at the bike from the left side)? That is, you're moving the switch forward? Failing that, I'd double-check the reserve tube/filter for a blockage going through the switch. ??
Clock wise for reserve from the on position

Lever forward is Res. =O .

Lever down is On

Lever back is Off or Prime O=

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Clock wise for reserve from the on position

Lever forward is Res. =O .

Lever down is On

Lever back is Off or Prime O=
Geez, louise, confused myself! Yes, CW if looking at the bike from the left. :doh: It was the "looking from the left" that suddenly made me dyslexic.

So, back to the original point, which was: are you sure you're turning the petcock to the reserve position and not to the "off"? :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Geez, louise, confused myself! Yes, CW if looking at the bike from the left. :doh: It was the "looking from the left" that suddenly made me dyslexic.

So, back to the original point, which was: are you sure you're turning the petcock to the reserve position and not to the "off"? :beerchug:
I think your ok, Cindy. If you were dyslexic, I don`t think you could spell it.:smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It's Lysdexic!!! Everyone knows that!!! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for your responses.........now for the truth...1. I really am dyslexic.
2. it would APPEAR that i have been turning the petcock the wrong way?!!???????? DOHH......but.... i have not confirmed yet. The wifes asleep, I got home from work late...so I will crank her up tomorrow.....but.....just to be sure!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????...............The petcock HANDLE gets turned forward!!!!!for reserve/on. that is, the HANDLE, is pointed toward the front tire? correct??.....sheez.... if this is correct...its back assward from all the other bikes I've owned....about 10.......My only comfort is in knowing about 10 other people on this site have done the same thing!!!!! I've owned suzukis, hondas, kawasaki's, Triumphs............... all .....more than one of each make......I do my own work on them......oh well....very humbling..thanks to all......

·
Registered
387 Posts
You are correct. When sitting on the bike, put your left hand down and move the handle FORWARD for reserve.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Thanks guys for your responses.........now for the truth...1. I really am dyslexic.
2. it would APPEAR that i have been turning the petcock the wrong way?!!???????? DOHH......but.... i have not confirmed yet. The wifes asleep, I got home from work late...so I will crank her up tomorrow.....but.....just to be sure!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????...............The petcock HANDLE gets turned forward!!!!!for reserve/on. that is, the HANDLE, is pointed toward the front tire? correct??.....sheez.... if this is correct...its back assward from all the other bikes I've owned....about 10.......My only comfort is in knowing about 10 other people on this site have done the same thing!!!!! I've owned suzukis, hondas, kawasaki's, Triumphs............... all .....more than one of each make......I do my own work on them......oh well....very humbling..thanks to all......
*LOL* It's not you, it's the design of the darn lever!
If you look, it's not the lever that indicates the position, but an itty bitty barely visible arrow at the center.
==<- vs ->==
(and, I do believe there are a lot more then 10 people that have been fooled by the lever position!)
I think knifemaker came up with the little ditty to remember for the petcock. Push forward to go forward, pull back to stop

Darn! I think I'm dyslexic now and got the arrows backwards! Anyway, you can see where it is easily confusing!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Definitely it's not you, which is why I posed the question in the first place. When I first got the bike, I did it repeatedly - what a learning curve! Seriously, though, I'd pop it in "reserve," the bike would start to die, I'd panic, and then I'd flip the lever forward. I still have to think my way through it from time to time, but "forward to go forward" may mitigate that from here on out.

And, hey, that's really good news that the petcock's not busted, right? :)

·
Chucklehead
1,050 Posts
Count me in that 10 .... <looking sheepishly towards the floor>

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Definitely it's not you, which is why I posed the question in the first place. When I first got the bike, I did it repeatedly - what a learning curve! Seriously, though, I'd pop it in "reserve," the bike would start to die, I'd panic, and then I'd flip the lever forward. I still have to think my way through it from time to time, but "forward to go forward" may mitigate that from here on out.

And, hey, that's really good news that the petcock's not busted, right? :)
You think you had a steep learning curve. When I first got the bike and saw the fuel gauge, I thought there must not be a reserve switch and neglected to look for it. I got on the bike the morning after buying it and the gauge read about 1/8 full. I have an Esso station only a 1/2 block south of the house , but I was only driving up 1/2 a mile north to pick up one of my grandkids and bringing her back home, then I would fuel up. Well, didn`t I feel the fool when the bike died halfway through the only intersection with traffic lights on the way there. Then I had to push the bike off the road and onto the lawn of an apartment bldg to sit while I walked 2 blocks to my daughters place to get the gas can for the lawn mower. Guess what I discovered from 20 feet away from the bike with gas can in hand? Yup, it had a petcock and a reserve fuel supply.:doh: So now I feel the fool twice in ten minutes, but the reserve position works. Ah well, learn from our mistakes. :smiley_th

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I didnt do it but I see the confusion on it. the side away from the handle looks like an arrow or pointer, you have to look at it close!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts