Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone.
Just bouught a used '04 with about 15k miles, in a good overall condition. Fixed the cam chain tensioners and regulator/rectifier unit. While doing so, I noticed the reserve lighting unit is missing, i.e. not installed at all. The 6 contact connector from the bike wiring harness is simply hanging freely. In addition, there is a wire (blue/yellow) leaving from this connector which is cut. I stripped the harness further up, trying to find the other end of it, with no success. I can't find the continuation of this wire, yet the harness seems to be untouched.
Page 15-36 of the service manual claims this blue/yellow wire supposedly goes to the dimmer switch. But the dimmer switch is up front by the headlight and I can't see any cut wire on the harness. I found wires with the same color leaving from the fuse box, but they turn towards the front of the bike, never reaching the lighting unit. I assume the bike electrical system was modified. Any clues, please?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
For starters..

Does your headlight gome on when you switch on the ignition or only after you have started the engine?

Disconnect the fuse box (a.k.a junction box) 8-pin connector and the headlight bulb. Is there continuity from the blue wire of the 8-pin connector to the R/BK or R/Y wire of the headlight connector?

These tests should tell us if the headlight relay is bypassed and if the headlight is still powered from from the headlight fuse.

I found wires with the same color leaving from the fuse box.
There should be no blue/yellow wires going to the junction box (as far as I can see from the wiring diagram).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts