Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my toolbox door open the other day and I noticed a sticker on there that recommended 91 octane fuel. My old bike never had this door, thus never had this sticker.

Are we supposed to run 91 octane? I always ran 87 in the old bike.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,681 Posts
I had my Vn750, for over 10 years. 99% of the time I used 87 octane. Never had a problem. The bike still ran like new when I sold her.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'd double check the sticker, or see if it's a factory sticker. Manual specs 87. Have to look at mine now.

·
Grumpy Old Man
34 Posts
There are two ways to rate octane… RON research octane number & MON motor octane number.

Pump posted octane is … RON plus MON divided by 2.

Does the sticker state RON 91 ? … If so it should be the equivalent to pump 87.

Next time at gas station look at pump, should say
minimum octane rating…
(R+M) / 2 method

google to confirm … but I believe this is the case with the sticker

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I'll bet the 91 on the sticker might be RON? European bike, or euro toolbox?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to quote all of you, but you're all correct!

Now that I think about it, it does say 91 RON.

My old bike pistons and heads had a good amount of carbon build up, so running some high detergent premium now and then is probably a good idea.

Ok thanks! I feel like my first bike was my work horse, but this one is my show pony. Even though I got 27k miles (10k personal miles) out of the old one, and it met it's demise likely through a mistake during rebuild, I want to treat this one better than I did my first bike.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Premium will actually build more carbon.

The correct amount of Seafoam in the gas will clean up the pistons and valves. I use it a couple of times each season just to keep the carbs clean, and for winter storage.

·
Registered
81 Posts

The correct amount of Seafoam in the gas will clean up the pistons and valves. I use it a couple of times each season just to keep the carbs clean, and for winter storage.
I'm with ya on the Seafoam. Every couple of tanks, I dump a good dose of it in. You can feel it in the way the bike runs, good stuff!

·
Registered
7,661 Posts

I'm with ya on the Seafoam. Every couple of tanks, I dump a good dose of it in. You can feel it in the way the bike runs, good stuff!
Seafoam cleaned out the main jets on mine during a ride once. I kept using the choke to get up to speed, then turning the choke off, let it slow back down while holding the throttle wide open. After 15-20 miles it was all good again.

It was my fault for letting it sit too long without Seafoam, but I put it in just before the ride.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I usually run ethanol-free fuel as much as possible, which is usually 89 octane at the pumps I go to. I had to pull and rebuild the carbs once because it sat at the dealer before I bought it used, and ever since ethanol free fuel has stayed clean and clear and started quickly even after sitting for 4-6 weeks at a time.

If I'm on a long out-of-town ride, I run 87 E10 and top up with EF before I park it back at the house. Haven't had to use seafoam in a couple years since using EF primarily

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
Ethanol free is perfectly safe, and many stations may call it recreational fuel. May even have a different additive package to better maintain the fuel in the tank (like stabil).

E10 is fine to use as long as you don't let it sit untreated in a carb. When I was driving daily I never had a problem with the carbs running e10.

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
We've only got one e-free pump in the area, not counting marinas which are pretty hard to get to. Of course the e-free station closes at 5pm and weekends. I did store with e-free for one winter, it's just harder to get.

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
I get my yard equipment fuel 5 gallons at a time. I always treat it with stabil, and it can sit for 3-4 months during the winter in the can as well as the carbs (3 machines). Never had a problem with them starting or running after prolonged storage with it. The one time I did have a problem the fuel wasn't treated. Stabil works in my opinion

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Stabil does work for storage. Anytime I missed putting it in my boat, I had to clean six carbs in the Spring, with Stabil, never a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts