Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got almost 13K on my 2003 Vulcan and the stator needs replaced. What else should be done while I am involved with that? Maybe a clutch rebuild kit? I have noticed an occasional growl from the clutch when I let it out, but only when it is cold, and it sounds like it is coming from the left side of the engine, from the riding position. Maybe lube the spline? I'd appreciate any input.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
Check the vulacn verses for the coffee grinder noise. while you are in there you might as well replace your balance dampers. there are several threads on here about how to do this.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Definitely lube the splines.
Clutch should be OK, unless you are worried about the "Coffee Grinder" noise (that's common on Vulcans and doesn't cause any damage) unless you go with heavy duty springs on the clutch.
With those miles and age of the bike, everything else should be OK. Wouldn't hurt to check the condition of the dampeners, but again, I'd think they should be OK.

Do ya have a maintenance free battery?

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Kinda young for dampers, but check them while you're in there. Like Hyper said, spline lube for sure, MF battery for sure.

Jon

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
There is a tie rod between the shift lever shaft and the change lever shaft in the external shift mechanism that was seriously under engineered in the early bikes. It has been superseded by a stronger one now. I don`t know what model year the change was made, but you might want to research that, and change it out if the early one is still in your bike. The light duty one will fail sooner or later.

Lube the front bevel gear splines and U-joint too while it is easily available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I'll definately lube the splines and check the dampers while I am in there. I am going to order the stator from Tim Parrott, he seems to be a dependable supplier, comments?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I'll definately lube the splines and check the dampers while I am in there. I am going to order the stator from Tim Parrott, he seems to be a dependable supplier, comments?
Tim Parrott has an excellent reputation on here and this bunch doesn't hand out complements lightly.I don't know if you want to wait but I would contact him and send your stator for the heavy duty rebuild.I personally haven't dealt with Tim but he may have an exchange deal,I would call him up and find out.For sure do not buy a cheap Chinese built stator,with stators it appears you get what you pay for.And your bike is too new for the shift rod problem,I think that was taken care of after the first few years.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When I did my stator, I took all of the air filter stuff off. Just put on 2 pod filters from Emgo instead of K&N's, alot cheaper and they seem to be working good. Eaiser to get to things and looks nicer. Not sure about the new stator and rr that I put on. Might be having to replace them again this year

·
Glenn C.
1,627 Posts
You should take pics of the stator replacement and do a write up... if no one else has... and if someone else has, send me a link to it... I dont know when i am going to have to do a stator replacement, but i would like to be prepared.

I have a 2001 vulcan 750 i just rolled 11000 on it, bought it 2 years ago with 6800 on it. Did the spline lube, got a sealed battery, hopefully nothing else raises its head soon.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Check and clean your starter motor. Lots of folks here complain of hot start problems and I believe one of the problems is the starter.

DT

·
24 Posts
Did my stator last month. It was a real job to say the least. Best thing I found was a Clymer's manual. I bought the Electrosport stator. It works great. All lights are brighter now. They say it is a better stator than the one Kawi puts on the bike origionally.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Did my stator last month. It was a real job to say the least. Best thing I found was a Clymer's manual. I bought the Electrosport stator. It works great. All lights are brighter now. They say it is a better stator than the one Kawi puts on the bike origionally.
Who, Electrosport? A member here recently had an Electrosport Chinese made stator go bad with less than 150 miles on it. It appears the best stator (and cheapest too) is a rewound one from Tim Parrot. Hope your stator lasts a long time.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Im not sure why this guys stator went out at 13000 miles. That seems ridiculous.
Makes me paranoid.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Im not sure why this guys stator went out at 13000 miles. That seems ridiculous.
Makes me paranoid.
All it takes is one thin area in the varnish/insulation on the wire the stator is wound with and one good hot session/overheat and it's toast. High quality varnish/insulation and good technique is the answer for a good stator.

Jon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts