Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some new shocks since mine were shot. All the bolts come off easy except the bottom left one. I take an adjustable wrench to it and am working it bit by bit slowly but after a few minutes I start wondering why it is taking so long. It looks like the acorn bolt is stuck on the end of the screw and I am taking out the whole bolt instead of just the acorn part. Is this normal? I lubed my splines ages ago and don't recall this. Even if it isn't normal- would it hurt anything if I took the whole thing out with the acorn on the end?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So I got some new shocks since mine were shot. All the bolts come off easy except the bottom left one. I take an adjustable wrench to it and am working it bit by bit slowly but after a few minutes I start wondering why it is taking so long. It looks like the acorn bolt is stuck on the end of the screw and I am taking out the whole bolt instead of just the acorn part. Is this normal? I lubed my splines ages ago and don't recall this. Even if it isn't normal- would it hurt anything if I took the whole thing out with the acorn on the end?
Sounds like that shock mount is a threaded stud. If it is coming out ok, continue and remove it.

Then get two nuts with matching threads and screw them on together tightly (ie. jam them to lock).

Spray some penetrating oil on the acorn nut and let it soak for a few hours.
Clamp the double nuts in a vise, and go to work on removing the acorn nut.
When you get the acorn nut off, remove the double nuts.
Clean up the bottom stud threads and its mates in the bracket.

Jam double nuts back together on the top end of the stud and reinstall the stud using red Loctite threadlocker.

Continue with new shock installation.
Use some anti-seize lube on the acorn nut threads.:smiley_th

1 - 2 of 2 Posts