Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so.... has anyone ever done this job? This will be my first time doing it with a vulcan. I have done it on my old dirtbikes and several cars. but first cruiser. Will there be any issues with the air box being in the way? or do i need to plan on doing an ear shave as well? It is the front cylinder. I got back from a cruise, had a big loss of power, starting to smoke white. not necessarily a "sweet" radiator type smell.... but. i started it up the next day and didnt smoke much.... I think it is only leaking when the engine is hot right now. I am also replacing the front exhaust manifold (broken stud and need to replace gaskets). Any tips and hints for my weeks adventure?

·
Registered
900 Posts
well it would be much easier to do an ear shave as well.. getting rid of the big black air box will make your job much easier.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I am also replacing the front exhaust manifold (broken stud and need to replace gaskets). Any tips and hints for my weeks adventure?
Spray some PB Blaster on that broken stud now, and repeat a couple of times a day until you are ready to remove it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
surprisingly.... some liquid wrench took the bolts right off... atleast off of the exhaust pipe. havent started with the exhaust manifold. and ya.... that air box wasnt gonna come out so i just tore it apart to get it out. guess I need to start figuring out a way to do an ear shave. lol I havent dug into the engine yet, but doesnt look too bad. do you know if the cylinder will pull up under the top bar of the frame? im hoping I can just lift it up enough to get the old gasket out and the new one in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you know if it is possible to get the front head off without removing the engine? I need to get a service manual...... I think it is, but still uneasy about it. Hopefully my gaskets get here soon so I can tear into the motor.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
If you will go to the top of the page and under search click on it. Then type in download manuel. About 5 threads down you can download the manuel, beware large
file. Once downloaded copy to CD and you will have it anytime you need. You will be able to print any pages that you need to work on something on the bike.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
do you know if it is possible to get the front head off without removing the engine? I need to get a service manual...... I think it is, but still uneasy about it. Hopefully my gaskets get here soon so I can tear into the motor.
Are you sure it's the head gasket? Do you see a/f contamination in your oil and vice versa? Have you compression tested it?

You may want to sniff around ebay for a new head as it is possible that the stud is not going to come out.

Jon

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the exhaust manifold detaches from the cylinder head. so i have a new exhaust manifold coming, but I already got the exhaust off w/o the bolt breaking.... so not sure if I want to take the manifold off or not. it does apear to be leaking and since I have a new gasket coming I might just go ahead and do it. I work at a place with a machine shop so I think once I get the head off I am gonna bring it in and clean up all the threads and what not. and as for the contaminated oil.... my fresh oil change is now a nice brown. which makes it pretty apparent that water is in there. when I drained the coolant there didnt seem to be any oil in there.... so the leak could have possibly only been in one direction. And thanks for the manual guys. I am still learning what all is on the website.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has anyone ever delt with this before? How might I deal with the timing chain? I guess just loosen the cams and mark the timing and orientation before tearing it apart? Once I pull the cylinder head off will I be able to get to the intermediate timing gear? alot of this I am guessing I will figure out when I get there.... I NEED to also replace a lot of the gaskets on the left side of the motor? can you do this without removing the motor? looks tight.... anyways, any help is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
has anyone ever delt with this before? How might I deal with the timing chain? I guess just loosen the cams and mark the timing and orientation before tearing it apart? Once I pull the cylinder head off will I be able to get to the intermediate timing gear? alot of this I am guessing I will figure out when I get there.... I NEED to also replace a lot of the gaskets on the left side of the motor? can you do this without removing the motor? looks tight.... anyways, any help is much appreciated.
I just replaced all the gaskets, seals, dampeners, impeller, etc. in mine. I figured since I had to pull the motor and disassemble it, may as well replace every wear item in it and paint it too. It's a 93 so the stuff is almost 18 years old. Miles don't matter to some things, they just deteriorate over time no matter what.

Jon

·
Registered
748 Posts
has anyone ever delt with this before? How might I deal with the timing chain? I guess just loosen the cams and mark the timing and orientation before tearing it apart? Once I pull the cylinder head off will I be able to get to the intermediate timing gear?
Read the manual; it's all in there. I'd suggest buying a Clymers manual, too; there's some stuff in there that's a little easier to understand than in the factory manual.

alot of this I am guessing I will figure out when I get there.... I NEED to also replace a lot of the gaskets on the left side of the motor? can you do this without removing the motor? looks tight.... anyways, any help is much appreciated.
Replacing the inner stator cover gasket will require pulling the engine. The outer cover o-ring, front bevel gear and transmission cover gaskets can be changed without pulling the engine, as can the shift shaft seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
shift shaft seal looks good... I have been watching these leaks for like 3 weeks and still unable to trace them... oil leaks suck. but as far as I can tell.... it is sadly the stator cover. possibly the three screws that hold on the outter left cover. All I know is I got gaskets for all that, and the cover right behind there with the oil sight. Is the engine easy to disconnect from the rest of the drivetrain? Maybe I need to just pull it... Mine is a 90 and has about 32,000 miles. so.... its up there. I suppose it prbly wouldnt hurt to change the rear cylinder head gasket as well. I would hate to blow it while traveling. the bike is mainly used for longer trips, about 4 hrs or so. But at the same time, why mess with it when it works just fine. idk. I only have one head gasket coming in the mail so. might just do the front one for now. I will get some pictures up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so... got the motor out and the oil looks fine... I am skeptical about this head gasket actually being bad.... kinda frustrating. but i need to replace a bunch of gaskets so having the engine out is nice. but... I dont know if it is worth it to try and replace the gasket. I had put seafoam in the gas a while before and i wonder if the white smoke was just that burning off. or possibly the head gasket is leaking just coolant into the cylinder and not into the oil so.... im not sure whats up. any hints?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts